Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Borg.. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Borg..
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Where did the Borg learn Latin?"

Erm... Picard's brain, perhaps?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. and Mrs. Hansen's brains? the free library at Memory Beta? or perhaps Borg is coincidentally the exact same language as Latin, thanks to cosmic happenstance..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember, it's irrelevant from the borg, but has any humans gone out of the galaxy? I didn't pay much attentiopn to any of the other series, and the only movie I saw was first Contact...

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. All in the original series.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They've done it in The Next Generation.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, sure, if you count that.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know that any episode scripted by Diane Duanne is as bad as her books, but, hey, people have debated endlessly about that guy's square rank pip. [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
digressing into a tangent for a moment...

Have they ever explained how the "scans" in trek work? Obviously they have very advanced sensors and so forth, but I'm curious about the how of it...

For example, I remember several times in various episodes seeing somebody scanning the computer systems without ever touching the control panels. The Borg in particular seemed to be able to hack and read anything they wanted in the Enterprises 'puter by flashing a green light over the displays. (perhaps I'm mistaken about that...it's been years since I've seen Borg episodes of TNG, but i'm positive somebody has done scans of computer systems without touching it in Trek)

Do the 'puters have some kind of port that transmits in, say, infrared or something? This would explain how the tricorders are able to talk to the ship's computer, and possibly how those evil aliens can hack from afar.

Or maybe i'm just really drunk, and remembering things wrong. That's surely a possiblity too.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC, the main computer emits a weak subspace fields through which it communicates with all onboard computery things (PADDs, trices, etc.). It's in the TNGTM somewhere.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh. I guess I need to get one of those manuals sometime. Hope they have them at the library. I'm too poor to afford one.

"weak subspace fields"

...well, that tells you all you need to know, doesn't it? Didn't know that even the computers in trek had to use subspace to function, instead of say, using something plausable.

how do they encrypt it? with quantum subspace interference counter-resonation ICE? [Smile]

More seriously, how are we to know that "secure channel" is really secure? If we assume they are using some form of quantum encryption--which according to simon singh's The Code Book is mathematically unbreakable, if slightly implausible with today's tech--and I assume they are using it, since my understanding of trek subspace lends credibility to the belief that Q.E. would be perfect for it, then the Borg hacking the enterprise's computers brings about the question: Can the Borg beat quantum encryption on those pesky "weak subspace fields", or not?

If they can, this whole post of mine is stupid and moot. The Borg can do the impossible. Cool, it's sci-fi, why worry.

But if they can't, then they were cracking the core some other way. If they were, How?

sorry, I realize this is a horrible tangent. But these are the things I wonder about. Sadly, even more thoughts are bubbling up regarding Trek computers and encryption, but I will supress them so that somebody can deftly tell me the particular episode to watch or the book to read that has the answer to these questions.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

quote:
More seriously, how are we to know that "secure channel" is really secure?
As in real life, presumably never, at least not with absolute certainty.
Member # 480

of course you're correct. But if nothing else, I would like to find out what kind of encryption they're using... the only times it's ever mentioned to my knowledge is when Data does something to lock somebody out of the system.

In First Contact, Data used quantum fractal encryption (or something similar, haven't seen the movie since the theatre release) on the 'puter to lock out the borg, saying something along the lines that it was "impossible to defeat". Knowing what a pragmatist Mr. Data is, I doubt he would make such a bold statement without some proof...

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I know that any episode scripted by Diane Duanne is as bad as her books, but, hey, people have debated endlessly about that guy's square rank pip. [Smile]

Who and what square rank pip?
[Confused] [Confused] [Confused] [Confused]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kosinski had a square pip on his collar in "Where No One has Gone Before" TNG. Interestingly, he also wore a gold starfleet uniform, but no communicator.

I think the implication was that he wasn't actually in Starfleet. However, they hadn't quite worked out the details about those types of things yet so it kind of got botched.

[ January 15, 2002: Message edited by: Aban Rune ]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I believe Data said "almost impossible to break" or "incredibly unlikely" about the code in FC.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps