Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Favorite Movie(s) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Favorite Movie(s)
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snarl*

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's that I heard? Was someone dissing the GREATEST FILM EVER MADE (IMSNHO)? Perhaps someone who placed both "The Motion Picture" and "The Undiscovered Country" unforgivably ahead of it? Does someone need some smack-down? You will kneel before TWOK as it is your master.

quote:

Its pretensions at depth are to make allusions to literature rather than itself having something memorable to say.

You did put The Motion Picture and The Undiscovered Country first, did you not? Allright. I just wanted to make sure. For whatever reason I can't get the image of an eye-patched Chris Plummer spinning around in his chair melodramatically spouting Shakespeare.

For the sake of the children I won't go the various reasons, but suffice it to say that you are obviously mistaken [Smile]

my list:
1) The Wrath Of Khan
2) The Voyage Home
3) The Search For Spock
4) First Contact
5) The Motion Picture
6) The Undiscovered Country

I won't bother sorting the rest.

[ January 28, 2002, 19:15: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
You did put The Motion Picture and The Undiscovered Country first, did you not? Allright. I just wanted to make sure. For whatever reason I can't get the image of an eye-patched Chris Plummer spinning around in his chair melodramatically spouting Shakespeare.

And "KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!" is better? [Razz]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also dislike TMP, but have still put it ahead of TUC, which is a...unique viewpoint to say the least.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TWOK? The Greatest Film Ever Made?

[Falls off chair laughing hysterically]

Oh man, that was a good one.

[wipes tears from eyes]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is the best of this particular bunch.

*prove me wrong, Nemesis* *chuckles*

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The other day, someone over at uk.media.tv.sf.farscape expressed an opinion that over time, First Contact's flash-bang high-action quotient has tended to date it a bit, while the simpler story and more personal tone of Insurrection has kept it fresh. I'm almost inclined to agree. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's just that TUC is so derrivative. It is so obviously trying to be as interesting as TWOK and so obviously never getting there. A good point of comparison would be the 'bad-guys'. Where General Chang is motivated by powerlust and greed, the superhuman Khan once bested by Kirk has been stewing in the wicked environment of Ceti Alpha Five for fifteen grueling years, watching his wife die a torturous death as the Ceti Eel squeezed the life from her cerebral cortex. Like a pacing lion in his cage, Khan is finally given the opportunity to strike and he takes it swiftly and viciously. Where it was easy to hate Chang, the irresistably cunning Khan made that much more difficult because we could sense his anguish. In TWOK Kirk is an aging hero trying to come to grips with the loss of his youth. He says he feels tired and worn out; the vicious and relentless Khan is attempting to kill him; his own son thinks he's an absurd and failing caricature, but rather than succumbing to these pressures and self-doubts, he re-invents himself into a hero once more. TUC lacks this kind of internal struggle. TUC might have had some more impressive-looking vfx sequences, however the still- impressive scenes in TWOK are absolutely riveting as we watch these two old enemies square off in a vicious pit-fight. In their initial clash, Kirk's huge tactical blunder nearly gets his entire crew vaporized in the process, but it's a come from behind victory as the wounded Enterprise manages to cheat (a common theme in the film) death to trick Reliant to drop her shields and turn the lopsided contest into a fighting chance to survive. In TUC, we have Capt. Sulu coming to the rescue, and while George Takei's presence is always welcome and the scenario is probably more realistic, it just doesn't have the same thematic resonance (and speaking for myself, I don't go to the movies for realism). I mean this isn't even getting into the selfless sacrifice of Spock, Kirk's longtime friend and companion, suddenly dead so that Kirk can once again escape death. Here's a character we've watched and loved for decades, now dead because his omnipresent logic dictated that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. You show me where TUC can even touch the emotional impact of that and maybe we can talk. It's my opinion that TUC is but a shadowy reflection of TWOK, and I earnestly believe that.

[ January 29, 2002, 22:43: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to mention that in TWOK, airbody knew what their jobs where & how t'do them right. In TUC, the senior staff--25-year space veterans & legends in their own time--were shown to be little more than players in the Little Yellow Bus production of "Space Cadet." Spock had all the answers..no one else?

Chekov was chief of security at one point & presumably 2nd or 3rd officer then; he didn't know alarms would go off when a phaser was fired? (where DID those alarms go in TNG, ANyway?) He was first officer on Reliant & he didn't think of this shit? Perhaps his sideburn glue seeped through his skin.

Uhura--head of an entire communications department of a starship--didn't know how to speak Klingon, even after dealing with them for 25 years AND being around when they ripped apart one of their ships? If I was trying to penetrate an enemy boarder & was hailed by a listening post, I'd DAMN sure better use better syntax than that of a Bulgarian immigrant with a 1st-grade education.

And when did Scotty stop being the doubting Thomas he was in TOS & start being the ships, version of the fat agreeably gullible drunken sweaty bastard people only invite over for mandatory family functions? Perhaps it's tim to stop upgrading the donut replicator & start fixing the ginko biloba machine.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey, i found someone who really likes insurrection: http://www.hollywoodjesus.com/insurrection.htm

--jacob

[ January 29, 2002, 13:45: Message edited by: EdipisReks ]

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pleased this has gone beyond the usual 1, 2, 3 rankings, which really don't tell anyone anything.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked TWOK much better. It's the only trek film I've seen multiple times, in fact.

I know it's flawed, but even so, it was the last movie I ever saw at a drive-in theatre, and it kicked ass.

and even now, when Kirk emotes:

"Hours, instead of days. Now we have Minutes instead of hours..."

I get goosebumps. It's such a cheesy line, and yet...I love it. what can I say?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it cheesy?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because its a dairy product.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I was going to say "because it's covered with flavored mold"...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps