Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Favorite Movie(s) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Favorite Movie(s)
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But then the question becomes "how do you know its flavored?" And I think that would put you in the undesireable position of having to admit you like to eat mold.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's a cheesy line for the same reason most movie lines are cheesy: It was the perfect thing to say at the moment.

Or, at least that's what my friend says. It made sense when he told me, anyway. Less so now, but I digress.

what's your favorite line from a trek film?

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several:
"You green-blooded Vulcan half-breed..."
"Double dumb-ass on you!"
"Assimilate this!"
"The line must be drawn NOW!" (Or maybe it's "here." Besides, I think it's only in the trailers, so...)
And, of course:
"Khaaaaannnnnnn!" [Big Grin]

--------------------
Meh

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i thought the difference in the FC trailers/actual version was
'..line must be drawn here! Here and no farther'
'..line must be drawn here! This far, no farther'

but thats just my memory talking. does anyone else remember a different version of the Picard/Lily meeting.. as version where the phaser was on 1, light stun and would give Piccy a rash, and another version where he says it was on 16 and would have vaporized him.
I can see how they might toy with that scene.. it lightens/darkens the moment thematically depending on which they use

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Not anymore. Now we can do both at the same time. According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now watch out! Here comes Genesis. We can do it for you in six minutes!"
OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Excuse me...um...excuse me? What does God need with a starship?"

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Have you lost all sense of reALity?!?"
"Oh, this isn't reALity...this is FANtasy. You wanted some adventure, how's THIS for you? Adrenaline pumping now, hmm? Now be a GOOD boy & go sit in the CLOSET. Go on....GO on..."
"I'm glad you're on OUR side..."
"Can you handle, uh..."
"Oh, I'll have Mr. Adventure eating out of my HAND."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I'll bet that Klingon bitch killed her own father!" --Montgomery Scott

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P: "So much for the Enterprise-E"
C: "We barely knew her"
P: "Think they'll build another one?"
C: "Plenty of letters left in the alphabet"

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KIRK:"Still. Old. Friend. You've managed to kill just about everyone else, but like a poor marksman, you keep missing the target."

MCCOY:"...Suppose they went - nowhere?"
KIRK:"Then this will be your big chance to get away from it all."

KRUGE:"Say the wrong thing, Torg!"

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My list:

"Star Trek:
1. The Motion Picture"
2. First Contact"
3 (tie). IV: The Voyage Home"
Insurrection"
5. II: The Wrath Of Khan"
6. Generations"
7. VI: The Undiscovered Country"
8. III: The Search For Spock"
9. V: The Final Frontier"

Regarding "Star Trek: The Motion Picture:" I share the thoughts of the few others who feel this movie is the only real science fiction Star Trek film, and the only one that was truly an epic production. As is often stated, most of the other films seem like episodes to me. While "Star Trek II" feels epic, it was filmed on the cheap in comparison the "The Motion Picture." And if one compares the productions, save for the seventies colors, "The Motion Picture" has aged much better than the next one.

Regarding "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan:" I believe we discussed how the movie could be "fatally flawed" or "the greatest movie ever made" (depending on one's viewpoint) in a post entitled "(One Of) My Problem(s) With 'Star Trek II,'" which I think was last responded to in October.

Regarding "Star Trek: Nemesis:" I agree with the already stated idea that a film must be seen to be rated. However, if I was going to rate it in comparison to the other Star Trek films, based on what I know, "Star Trek: Nemesis" would rate rather low. I actually do not know too much about the movie, and I think I know more than I want to, but the "plot twist" sounds like something out of a second-rate soap opera ( the old evil [WARNING, SPOILER AHEAD] . . . twin plot). And from a production standpoint, while a $65,000,000 budget is hardly filming it on the cheap, the amount is less than the last two Star Trek films were budgeted [as an aside, I hear the "Alaskan wedding scene" is actually being filmed against a green screen in Hollywood, and that second unit footage shot in Alaska will be composited in later, because the budget will not allow shooting on location. First of all, this does indeed sound like "filming on the cheap." Second, any fellow fan of James Bond movies will shudder with me at conceptualizing the horrors that can result when back projection or green/blue screen techniques are utilized].

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like you have already got it all figured out....

Well mabye for someone who was alive in the 70's thinks the motion picture is all spectacular and good science fiction, but theres diffrent standards today. First off, you dont have to be on some drug to enjoy a movie...

From what I've heard and seen, i predict that Nemesis will be a very good movie.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom and Simon already got both lines that I like for "intelligent" reasons. For purely cheesy and emotional reasons though, I have to go with Spock's death, and Kirk's final log at the end of ST VI. Yeah, I know, "I have been, and always shall be...your friend" has been heard a million times, but it still got me. And obvious though it was, I get goosebumps at "This is the final voyage of the starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of a new crew. To them and their posterity will we commit ourselves. They will journey to all the undiscovered countries, bolding going where no man...where no one, has gone before." (Although looking at it, it really does imply that only the serior staff were getting "decommisioned", not the ship).

And it's not big, or clever in the slightest, but I have to admire the first instance of proper swearing in Star Trek. Quite frankly, when a planet's about to hit you in the face, "Oh shit" is possibly a bit understated.

"What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived. After all Number One, we're only mortal."
"Speak for yourself sir. I plan to live forever."

Finally, I'm still not buying the ST:TMP is good argument. Yeah, so what if it was made for more than ST II? And so what if ST II was made on the smallest budget of all the Trek films? Since when does big budget = good? SFX should drive the plot along, or at the very least, look cool (the Enterprise-D's death was no-where near as emotional as the original Enterprise's, but it is nice to watch). The SFX in TMP are unnecessary and boring.

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ultimately one's Star Trek film rankings are the result of one's own personal taste (or lack thereof, in the eyes of some others). I can understand why some do not rank "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" highly, and I hope they appreciate my own problems with the usual list topper, "Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan." I do think, however, the first Star Trek film had the highest production values of the first seven, perhaps the highest of all, and that it shows. Of course, big budget does not equal quality, but if one likes what "The Motion Picture" is trying to be, and trying to do, then those high production values can put it at the top of one's list. Likewise, if one does not care for its story, the production values probably do not factor in to how one ranks it.

[ February 01, 2002, 09:09: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What films are your favorites are like favorite colors or songs: it's all subjective and depends on what connects with you personally. Some people find Insurrection entertaining, some find it embarrassing. Some find TMP a good over-the counter Nytol subsitute, others get wrapped up in the imagry and the ideas. Some find TWOK a kick-ass movie, others see it as cheesball melodrama.

We're all conditioned by what we've seen before. The style of symphonic orchestrations popular in the 1930s sounds to syrupy to ears used to modern interpretations, which will not necessarily resonate with audiences 20 years hence.

Would be interesting to be able to flash forward 50 years and see what the popular critical opinion of the films are then (assuming they're remembered at all). Will some film we dismiss now be considered a classic in another time's context? ("The Final Frontier"?! NOOOOO!) [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps