Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Dating the Captain... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dating the Captain...
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched Workforce Parts 1&2 and when Janeway said that she thought that dating her crew would be inappropriate, it seemed strange since Picard dated the head of Stellar Cartography onboard the Enterprise-D. Although Starfleet seems to allow officers to date, I wonder why there isn't a clearcut rule enforced.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Kirk nailed Helen Noel after the Christmas party.. to each his own i guess..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guessing that there's no strict official policy established, primarily because of the long-term nature of Starfleet's missions. Forbidding fraternization would not be a good idea.

Obviously, there's the possibility of a relationship interfering with the command functions of the ship -- and there probably ARE a few regulations there.

However, in the end I think it's probably left up to the Captain's judgment. Picard certainly didn't have many qualms going into that relationship -- it was only after the crisis that things got touchy. IMO Janeway would have been totally justified if she chose to have some relationship with a crewmember. (Please note that I am NOT one of those freaky J/C fanatics...) It was just her personal belief that a Captain should not have a relationship with a subordinate.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, there's the possibility of a relationship interfering with the command functions of the ship -- and there probably ARE a few regulations there.

If so how come we haven't seen them? It took till after worf and dax had failed thier misson in change of heart for them to be barred from going on missions together. Even them it seemed to state that there had been specific orders to stop them going on missons together.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. How could I forget Worf and Dax?

That's one instance where any anti-fraternization regulations would have helped. Of course, the officers are people too, so they can't completely abandon all traces of a real life...

I think the key is, that the only time Starfleet would be concerned is where duty and relationships intersect. For Worf and Dax, it was never really a problem until they went on that dangerous mission together.

Actually, that answers a question about Janeway, in a way -- the Captains are ALWAYS on duty. Therefore, any relationship could potentially interfere with normal duties. (Note that I said POTENTIALLY -- it's still a POV thing.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Besides, any Janeway-relationships would just frighten the viewers.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, the class-action suit by viewers traumatized by the implications of "Workforce" and "Fair Haven" is, I gather, proceding apace. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's also the fact that Janeway was in a somewhat unique position. She was stuck with this crew and they with her. There was no possibility of anyone transferring anywhere...I think that probably added to her hesitation about a relationship with a crew member.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So basically, you can't exchange sexual favors with the Captain for a transfer to a competent ship equiped with a competent plotline.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you can, but given the only other such ship near is the Equinox, which comes equipped with its own species of bloodcurdling-shrieking, evil-looking, hook-nosed bloodsucker, I don't see why you'd want to. 8)

--------------------

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I'm sure there's a nice Talaxian freighter out there somewhere...

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Lee
Member # 393

Yeah, but that got assimilated by the Borg. Next!

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hate to harp, but is that a spoiler for the last 4 episodes of Voyager!?! The second last video comes out tomorrow.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
Member # 393

Nope, it's a spoiler for "The Raven" which one suspects you've seen by now; in it Seven tells Neelix of a Talaxian freighter crew that was assimilated; their dense musculature makes for excellent drones, apparently. 8)

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I can see why some of my friends see Janeway as frigid.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps