Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TWOK Director's Edition. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TWOK Director's Edition.
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Powers, we are in agreement, i reckon that TFF Ent-A bridge would suit an in-between bridge for teh Ambassador.
my personal all-time fav bridge is the Ent-A from TUC. Its also my personal fav ship - come on u get a real galley (better than VOY's) how nice is that??

*hungry*

nah but seriously, the Ent-A in TUC is my fav ship, internally.

Buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but I think the one in TFF doesn't fit the Ent-
Austin,

It was the same fucking set in TFF and TUC. How could one fit and one not? It got a paint job and some extra doo-dads for VI, but the phsyical dimensions were still the exact same.

Remember: dark colors make stuff look not so big. It's an optical illusion that TFF bridge was larger ... it wasn't. It was brighter.

[ May 12, 2002, 07:32: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the decor that he's talking about. Which is amusing, because all the refit bridges have been very light in colour. It was eggshell in TMP, darkened by lighting in TWoK and TSfS, pristine white in TVH, and a very pale beige in TFF -- with nice oak trim, I might add.

Then they rebounded back past the warm blues and greys of "The Cage" to a set that was all gunmetal and black, with a few red highlights. *bleck* I know, lighting-wise, the later bridges are better for seeing the characters/actors, but I honestly kept expecting to see someone's breath fogging all through TUC. Dim with spotlights looks very cold to me. Heck, the whole feel of the ship in TUC was very claustrophobic. I think Nick was going overboard on his earlier TWoK "submarine" mood.

--Jonah

P.S. Back on topic briefly -- what cut footage besides the Preston stuff do you think they'll add? Or at least show? Will we get to see Sulu's promotion?

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the sets were physically different. Paint and upholstery aside, we're always going on about how they switched the stations around, moving four stations aftwards and playing musical chairs with them and the turbolifts. While it made the set look much better, there's no way the change would have made structural sense!

And NEITHER matches the exterior model, mind you. As for the ST5 bridge being better for an Ambassador, It would probably suit better, given its size - one wonders why they didn't use it for "Yesterday's Enterprise", as it was around at that time. But I still hate how lacking in character the consoles are. No extensions, no angles... The chairs were really cool, though.

Mark

[ May 12, 2002, 09:30: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Sulu's promotion was ever shot.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK it was shot. But they couldn't use it because Shatner's acting was so bad.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately Austin, the Enterprise-C's bridge was a redress of the battle bridge with the Movie Enterprise bridge portions. Damn, well maybe it would make a nice 2378 bridge for the USS Ambassador.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "promotion" scene was shot, but, as others have said, Meyer cut it because of Shatner's unwillingness to play it right (Takei goes into the whole sordrid story in his bio).

The other big "new scene" (I don't count the Preston stuff as new because it's been in the TV version for years) would be the dialogue between Kirk and Spock establishing Saavik as being half Romulan. I hope they include that one, as it makes so much sense re: her character.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vice-Admiral Michael T. Colorge:
Unfortunately Austin, the Enterprise-C's bridge was a redress of the battle bridge with the Movie Enterprise bridge portions. Damn, well maybe it would make a nice 2378 bridge for the USS Ambassador.

It's a commonly-held notion that this is so, when in fact it isn't. The E-C was built from generic wall sections that had been in the TNG set stock for years. Ignoring the obvious scale discrepencies, compare the two bridges:

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/enterprise-c-bridge.jpg
http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/gallery/bridges/stargazer-bridge.jpg

You can see quite clearly that the sets are nothing alike.

The confusion lies in two instances in the second season where the RAILINGS from the movie/battle bridge set was combined with the walls that ultimately become the E-C bridge set, on at least a couple occasions - one of which is the lab Wesley gets to command his science team with in "Pen Pals". Adding to this is that the E-C bridge is next used as the second incarnation of the E-D battle bridge, and a variety of sets thereafter.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that was my problem with the E-C bridge.. it was the redress of a plain room, rather than a redress of an actual bridge set. most other bridges were usually refits of other bridge sets, the addition of curves and angles really gives it that 'bridge feeling'

other bridges that were room redresses were the Brattain and the Sutherland in the next two seasons.. possibly the same set, or modules of it. I'm not sure,but it might have ended up as Arctus Baran's bridge in Gambit

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats it "submarine mood"
thats why i liked the TUC bridge so much reminds me of like Hunt for Red October and Crimson tide.

well neways, dont mind this let the main train of thought continue.

buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Snay: You misunderstood me. Of course I know about the dimensions of the bridge sets.

With "fit" I didn't mean size, I meant style. I think the TFF bridge as well as the GCS corridor sets (which were not modified in ANY way) don't seem to belong to a Constitution class vessel. Same goes for engineering, I just remember the scene where Scotty is looking at the warpcore which is - surprise surprise - the one from the Ent-D.

That's why I'm glad they changed it again for TUC.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Oorignally posted by Austin Powers:
Same goes for engineering, I just remember the scene where Scotty is looking at the warpcore which is - surprise surprise - the one from the
Ent-D.

Huh? I thought it was TUC that redressed the TNG engine room. IIRC, they used a redressed corridor for what little they showed of engineering in TFF.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weren't the GCS corridors originally made for the Enterprise Refit in TMP and later transferred to TNG?
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Yeah, but they didn't even bother redressing them back to Classic Films style for TFF. It's really, really visually jarring. Thankfully, they spent a bit of time and money for TUC and made them look less E-D-ish.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps