Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » TWOK Director's Edition. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TWOK Director's Edition.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's this little thing called branching that DVDs can do. I really wish the studios would look into it a bit more closely. The Buckaroo Bonzai DVD has this feature where you can watch the extra and extended scenes in the film, or just watch the original cut. I would love to see that with STII. It is my favorite movie from ever, and I really hope they don't decide to add some scenes just because they have them. There's a reason why those scenes were cut originally.

I'm the proud owner of the pre-Special-Edition widescreen SW trilogy Laser Disc box set, and that's the only version I can watch because Greedo shooting first makes me so mad.

If the new scenes are just Kirk pinning a medal on Sulu's chest and a little Preston pre-barbeque sympathy kitsch, then I don't think that necessarily needs to go back into the movie. I'd still love to see the scenes, but I'd hate for the pacing and intent of the original film to become diluted in the process.

Anyone here see the Apocalypse Now Redux? The plantation scene was interesting, but the film really didn't need it at all. And suddenly Duval's mythical Killgore is comic relief?

I think TWOK is one of the best movies ever made. I'd really hate to see the original cut suffer for just a couple of scenes that weren't good enough to make it into the original. If they want to do the branching thing, I'd be way into that...

[ May 13, 2002, 17:31: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it is a real "director's" cut by Nick Meyer himself, not just a random extended version hastily thrown together. I'd have to assume that anything he chooses to re-insert (or remove) will be because he's thought it through first. They can still have the unaltered scenes on the disc, like they did with TMP.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, if anyone's going to make a director's cut, it ought to be the director. 'Apocalypse Now Redux' was a director's cut with one of American cinema's greatest living directors in charge. The first thing I did after seeing the new version was to go out and buy the older DVD. I'm drawn to the extras, but I probably won't buy the Redux. But just think if it were a branching DVD. You could have it both ways. Of course, then they wouldn't get to charge you for both. Putting the original scenes on the extras disc just seems backwards to me.

[ May 13, 2002, 19:04: Message edited by: Balaam Xumucane ]

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Redux definately improved upon the original. Yes, it no longer made the film commercially viable in the traditional sense (which is why the studio kept it trimmed initially) but Apocalypse Now isn't really the sort of movie that needs to charge forward at a breakneck pace and get everything wrapped up in less than three hours. The plantation scenes (plus the further adventures of the Playboy bunnies) were interesting vignettes, IMHO.

But damn, I wish Copolla digitally changed the carpets on the boat. I mean, honestly, the colourscheme on that thing was awful. [Wink]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear Luke wasn't screaming when he fell down the Bespin air chute in the old cut, he accepted his doom like a man, for once. Damn asses.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Autopilot flies planes without the need for pilots. Hence "Auto"pilot.
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And @Woodside Kid: You're right. I messed that one about the warpcore scene up. It was in TUC.

I wonder why branching isn't used more often on DVDs.

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it presents some technical difficulties. Not ones impossible to overcome, to be sure, but they may make it unprofitable in most discs.
Mirror Bashir
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great. I already have the TNN version and the ABC version on tape, the regular DVD. All the money wasted...
IP: Logged
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why does member #818 keep changing handles???

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does anyone?
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Cuz it's fun. Although, completely unrelated ones are silly.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Balaam Xumucane:
I'm the proud owner of the pre-Special-Edition widescreen SW trilogy Laser Disc box set, and that's the only version I can watch because Greedo shooting first makes me so mad.

People can watch the news, filled with death, poverty, starvation, and ugly people with no feelings whatsoever. George decides to make Han Solo a bit less cool, and fans want to kill.

For fuck's sake, get out more.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For some reason, I always thought that Greedo did shoot first, but the VFX were just screwed up in the original. Kinda like when Obi-Wan fights Vader and his lightsaber effect disappears a couple times. Except that they forgot to fix that one...
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.lordoftherings.net/homevideo/homevideo.html

Even worse. You buy the DVD, and there's "an inside look at the Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" on it.. why the hell would you want to buy the Mediocre Short Boring Version You Actually Saw In The Cinema?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps