Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Some Comments (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Some Comments
Individual 5748
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I just have to get a few things out in the air. Primarily, concerning people's treatment of this show.

I read reviews for Voyager despite the fact that they irritate me because I still like to hear others' perspectives. But I just have to say that some people just really piss me off (don't be offended by that, please). But they really do. (This isn't directed towards anyone in this forum, so don't think I'm singling anyone out or anything, I'm just venting.)

One argument I hear over and over is that Voyager isn't original. Let start off by saying that hardly anything is original. Nuances and details makes stories different from each other, but most basic stories are based around a series of events that have been written down before. Let's face it, even when Voyager started there were over 200 hours of Trek already made - come on, people, how many stories about a ship in space can there be before similarities crop up? Yes, there are similarities between Voyager and other episodes of other series. GET OVER IT! Voyager never was nor ever will be COMPLETELY ORIGINAL. There is a precedence for everything. Like my English professor says: literature (and other stories) are driven by three main things - sex, death, and control. I think ALL Trek stories could relate to one of those, but it seems that just because Voyager happens to tell a story similar to one already done on TOS or TNG that it is shunned. It's ridiculous.

Another thing I'm sick of is people who watch Voyager merely to criticize it. If you don't like it, don't watch it. Don't waste our time by writing about how every aspect of every episode is so horribly awful and stupid and ignorant, and what have we. GET A LIFE!

Another thing, this 'consistency' thing a lot of people keep complaining about. I'm sure TNG and TOS and DS9 have just as much inconsistency as Voyager does. So Voyager gets a few stardates or whatever off the mark. At least Voyager doesn't have a ship that has eighteen different lengths and deck numbers and what have we (and we all know what ship I'm referring to).

I also hear a lot about how Voyager isn't real enough. Too many shuttles, too many torpedoes, should be in the Beta Quadrant. People, its called fiction. If this show were reality, Voyager and everyone on board would have been dead a LONG TIME AGO! But its not real, so DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!

I don't know why, but people just can't seem to sit down and simply watch an episode. Just watch it. People are so bent on nitpicking Voyager to death. Any series would come up a little short under intense scrutiny. But the only show that seems to be on the other end of that scrutiny is Voyager.

I guess what I want to know is, what's so wrong with it. I enjoy it very much, and maybe that's all that's necessary. But what I want to know, how come these people can just sit aroung and b*tch about something knowing that if they had to run the show that they couldn't come up with anything any better. If they could, they'd be writing the show!

A lot of people seem to be out just to bash Voyager, and to be frank, it's getting old. I guess all I'm asking is to just ease up on it and simply enjoy it for what it is. It's not perfect, I know. But it could be a lot, lot worse.

------------------
"Questions, comments, bring them to me. Problems, take them to Kinis."

IP: Logged
KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone saw the detail ST:TNG had and then they thought future shows would go even furhter. I do admit I have been surprised about the continuity problems with Voyager, but it happens. If everyone thinks Voyager is not original or bad they should pitch what they think are good ideas to the show.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
5748: You mention the thing about the shuttles and torpedoes and say that, since it's fiction, it doesn't matter. So, are you saying that, if a shuttle blew up, someone said "That was the last shuttle we had", and then they got into a shuttle and flew off, you wouldn't care because "it's fiction"? It may be fiction, but that doesn't mean just anything should be able to happen.

------------------
Rimmer: "Holly, put a trace on Paranoia."
Holly: "What's a trace?"
Rimmer: "It's space jargon. It means 'find him'."
Holly: "No it doesn't. You just made it up to sound cool."
-Red Dwarf: "Confidence & Paranoia"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't mind the fact that Voyager is "not original". The only thing I mind in fiction is blatant copying, creative disrespect for continuity, and when a show is just really boring.

I site an example. "Threashhold" broke a fundamental rule that has been laid down all along and in the process destroyed the premise of the show. If they can get a shuttle to go warp 10, they can get it to go warp 9.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 and ferry everybody home in a few weeks.

When stuff like this happens consistantly, good idea or not, it simply implies a lack of respect on the part of the creators for the forum in which they are creating.

But all that aside, I think Voyager is and can be a good show.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with TSN. If they can have all the shuttles they want, who cares when they blow up?

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We've got some new songs here that are not even on the MP3 thing. They're not available in any format, except of course the bootlegs that seem to proliferate all through our audience, as we watch people lip-synch along to songs that HAVEN'T BEEN RELEASED! DAMN YOU!" - John Linnell

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

True, the show to some degree should stick within the confines of the parameters it is set in. However, it has NEVER been established just how many shuttles Voyager originally had. For all we know, half or more of the cargo bays could have been filled with spare shuttles. No one ever said, "Hey, this is our last shuttle." Therefore, it can't be said the Voyager has violated its parameters.

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Considering how many shuttles have been lost and Chakotay's line (iirc) saying they had a full compliment of shuttles. This would suggest that they are able to build new shuttles, which really wouldn't be that difficult.

But I disagree with you 5748. If something is established they shouldn't change their minds and change it. Also, just because it is science fiction that doesn't mean consistency is not important.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

I'm not saying the incosistency is acceptable. What I'm saying is that it shouldn't become the focus of the show. It's not called "Star Trek: Voyager- Let's only pay attention to how many shuttles they use."

I'm not saying that if in one episode Chakotay says, hey there's three shuttles left, and two episodes later, someone else says there are five left that it's ok. What I'm saying is - there should not be so much attention placed on something on which the series isn't based. The show wasn't created with 'let's keep perfect count of shuttles' in mind. The writers simply want to tell stories. We know by watching the show that the writers aren't going to follow shuttle count, so why is it necessary to constantly bring it up knowing that nothing is going to change? Why can't some people just accept it and move on?

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree wholeheartedly with 5748's first post.

I would even go that far and say that concerning single episodes Voyager is both the most creative and the most consistent of all Trek shows.

One problem is that few single episodes are crap because at a high creativity tolerance the risk of making mistakes is high (you know, the warp 10 thing, for instance). Another problem is that the consistency cannot be maintained over a large number of episodes. The shuttle, torpedo, ship repair and crew restrictions are hard, as opposed to TNG and DS9 where everything can easily be replaced.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

Saboc
Ex-Member

I think Voyager is a great show. It is different from other shows. I think reason why I like it best, yes, better than the TOS, TNG, and even DS9, is that none of the characters are arrogant. I hate arrogant people. I like Tuvok the most. I'm a Vulcans fan!!!

------------------
-Father of Vulcan phylosophy(forgot his name): "Nothing unreal exists"
-Spock: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom..."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm noticing a trend here. The people who don't think there's anything wrong with Voyager are also the ones who want a fifth series. . .
Saboc
Ex-Member

So any words from Paramount regarding the 5th series? No?

------------------
-Father of Vulcan phylosophy(forgot his name): "Nothing unreal exists"
-Spock: "Logic is the beginning of wisdom..."

Individual 5748
Ex-Member

That's because there is nothing wrong with Voyager when you look at it from the point of view of watching it for entertainment. It's only when the nitpicking begins that it begins to unravel. But that could be said for any number of series, including the other Trek series.

------------------

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Saboc:
About your sig: it was T'Planna Hoth, matron of Vulcan philosophy, IIRC.

------------------
Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons; for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Hath, not Hoth.

BTW: That's also the name of the Vulcan ship in FC.

------------------
"Scan that ship Mr. Worf!"
"Aye sir, 600 DPI?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps