Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Pathfinder? $$$$$$$$$ (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Pathfinder? $$$$$$$$$
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Came on here and recorded it. Good episode. I'm glad they actually contacted Voyager. Looks like there could also be future contact as well.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm a man of few words."
Hobbes: "Maybe if you read more, you'd have a larger vocabulary."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed the episode. At first I didn't think that they were going to contact voyager but they did. It was a well done show.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*drools with envy*

Lucky duckies !!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What other web sites have the promos besides Vidiot? I was upset when Startrek.com stop making them available.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
www.warp11.com
http://www.mediatrek.com/scfihq/scifi/main.htm

------------------
Life on Earth is expensive, but it does include a free annual trip around the sun!

=\V/=

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I finally saw the ep!!

I loved it ! Lotsa suspense.. even a bit of 'barclay espionage' !!

When do you think they'll talk to the AQ next.

The one thing I didn't understand was .. why couldn't they recreate the micro-wormhole after it had collapsed??

Was it because the Pulsar was moving out of range?? You'd figure they'd have a greater window to play with where that is concerned!!

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 06, 1999).]

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understood, the pulsar was destroyed when the micro-wormhole was created. When it collapses, there was nothing left.

------------------
"Stop right there! I have here the only working phaser ever built! It was fired only once: to keep William Shatner from making another album."

- The Collector, "Treehouse of Horror X," The Simpsons.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

I see ...
So.. they actually imploded the pulsar to create a mini-wormhole... would that create a HUGE wormhole??

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pulsar imploding? I didn't pick up on that. Based on what, exactly? I ask because, as a neutron star, a pulsar is about as imploded as you can get without collapsing to infinity.

Anyway, the impression I got was that the conditions required (position of array, position of pulsar, various subspace conditions, etc.) were sufficiently rare as to make the timing critical.

------------------
"I wish that everything went just as I wish everything would go."
--
John Linnell

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I watched my new favorite ep of Voyager last night. Sol was right, they never said anything about the star being destroyed

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Alrighty then.. thank you for the clarification..

Now..my original question stands.. Assuming that time WAS critical, could they not STILL retry the communication by aiming the array at the pulsar's new position and attempting it again!?

Is there another theorectical way to create a mini-wormhole?

I guess they would have to build the array next to a pulsar similar. Knowing that.. I wouldn't waste anytime. They could theoretically create a bigger array next to a pulsar, contact Voyager again through a bigger wormhole, then piggy-back and transporter beam through the carrier wave and voila: Voyager crew is home.

Not very exciting but theoretically sound wouldn't you say?

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The big deal was that a specific type of pulsar was going (class B itinerant or whatever) was passing within four billion klicks of the MIDAS array. They may be able to point the array in the right direction, but the pulsar wouldn't be close enough.

It also seems like SFC now has the ability to communicate with Voyager at will, but Voyager can't respond until they build a hyper-subspace communications array. (Which, apparently, doesn't have to be as big as MIDAS.) IIRC, the original idea was for SFC to transmit their hyper-subspace data to Voyager and wait for them to respond.

I don't think beaming everyone through is really feasible, since the micro-wormhole didn't stay stable for very long. Even though they were able to pull off a data transfer, beaming 140-odd people and a holoemitter would take a while.

IP: Logged
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

That's what I'm saying tho'

Why don't they park the MIDAS array near the same type of pulsar.. surely it's not the only one...

They can make the array bigger and better, now that they know what they have to do...

make a bigger more stable wormhole... BOOM.. instand transporter corridor.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
"Parking" the MIDAS array next to the same sort of pulsar would be a problem, since an itinerant pulsar would by definition be moving. If you could get a starship to tractor it, you might have something, although that might give you problems keeping it in alignment with the pulsar. Of course, a hyper-subspace transmitter might have to be stationary to work.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose the question to ask is whether or not there are any non-itinerant pulsars that are of the right type to make the wormhole...

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps