Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Pathfinder? $$$$$$$$$ (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Pathfinder? $$$$$$$$$
Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe none of you pointed out the fact that voyager was like 30,000 light years closer to home than SFC would have known, so there is no way that they could have contacted them.

My idea to contact voyager is to create micro worm holes at specific distances and transport little transponder beacon thingees that voyager could use to keep in contact with SFC. What do you think?

-Fizzbin Table Moderator

------------------
and I, I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the diference.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But why settle for just that, when you can use another pulsar (whatever its designation) to create a big enough wormhole that they can send a probe into where they can route a transporter signal through and beam them over to the AQ -- as was suggested in the first or second season with the Romulans!!!??

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Marc: I think the distance problem was pointed out in one of the several threads dealing with Pathfinder. I don't think the beacons would be used, since SFC is already counting on Voyager to build a hyper-subspace transmitter. Also, I would think that a micro-wormhole would be much too small to admit a hyper-subspace relay.

Alshrim: We don't know if you can use anything but a class-B itinerant pulsar to make a micro-wormhole, much less a larger one.

IP: Logged
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if anyone pointed this out. But it was a nice touch with that picture of Cadet Paris on Admiral Paris's desk. Eventhough it was actually Cadet Nick Lacarno.

------------------
Calvin: "My life needs a rewind/erase button."
Hobbes: "...and a volume control."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they knew each other at the Academy. Maybe they tried to pass themselves off as twins... :-)

------------------
"Their 'flower power' is no match for my glower power!"
-C. Montgomery Burns, The Simpsons

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Braga said in an interview, that this ep would change the show, so I must assume that they will find a way to contact SF again, by adding the relay to the ships systems.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kosh: I heard the same thing.. I heard that this was the episode that starts the big snowball rolling down the hill as far as getting Voyager home..

I think that towards the end of the season, they'll know a way home, and getting there is the BIGGEST problem held over for next season!

LT.Tom: Good point.. but I doubt very much that this one is the only example of that type of pulsar in the AQ. I'm sure they could find another one to use.

IT'd be small of us to think that it was the only one. IF there was one.. there are others.. of that I have no doubt.

Send a science vessel out to survey for one. As Admiral Paris.. I wouldn't waste any time .. I'd be sending a ship out looking for another one PRONTO.

------------------
- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited December 10, 1999).]

Lt. Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
The problem isn't finding another pulsar--heck, the one they used in the ep could still be viable. I do see a few potential problems, though. First, if the pulsar has to be itinerant (read moving), the array would have to move with it to sustain the wormhole, and I've already mentioned the problems with that. Even if you could find a suitable stationary pulsar, you'd have to park the array by it. It seems that constructing a new array would take quite a while, and we don't know how long it would take to disassemble the existing array, transport it to the site, reassemble it, and prep it for use. Obviously, the quickest method would be to tractor it, but we don't know if the array can handle a tractor beam or warp travel.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps