Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Blink of an Eye ($$$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Blink of an Eye ($$$$)
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've tried to find the trailer for this one, and can't find it ...

Anyone REALLY know what this one is about?? Continuum doesn't offer much of a discription these days ... and usually they offer the trailer.. but no joy this time 'round..

This is all I've found really:

"1/19/2000 - Blink of an Eye
While Voyager orbits a planet on which time passes so quickly that civilizations rise and fall in a matter of moments, generations of scientists try to figure out what the unusual object in the sky orbiting their world is and try to make contact with it."

Is anyone finding this concept a little beyond science?? Time is constant isn't it??

I mean the life span of a being can be really fast, and as such, their rate of development equally quick, causing fast civilization development, but isn't time a constant - Unless the planet is in some sort of natural warp bubble!!??

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 17, 2000).]

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And is there such a thing as a Natural Warp Bubble in Star Trek??

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*screams* What does it matter how scientifically plausible a concept is if it's a good story?

Pardon me. I'm just a little tired of people nitpicking and condemning episodes before they've been aired.

The trailer makes it look really good, actually (a feat for UPN! ): http://www.trektoday.com/downloads/voyager_blink_of_an_eye.shtml

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed Elim...

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here, here!! Wait for the bloody thing to come out then I'll be right aboard in nitpicking the hell out of any continuity problems.

However, I also agree that in the Trek universe, as long as an explanation is offered, I don't mind if that explanation bends science a touch. As long as it's a good story and there's a reason for doing so. "Threashhold" does not fit into this catagory!!

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

I'm not trying to nitpik .. nor am I condemning it.. I'm asking if anyone's got any news on this ep.

And I don't judge the eps by how real they are.. I enjoy a the fantasy as much as the next ... But I like it to be consistant .. That's all.

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a race in TOS whose time ran at a different rate than everyone else's, wasn't there?

And, of course, if the trailer makes it look good, and we know that recent Voyager eps have nothing to do w/ their trailers, doesn't that mean the episode will probably be bad? ;-)

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in the episode "Wink of an Eye." Wait a minute...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In fact, "Wink" only featured people who had really fast metabolisms. They didn't live in a "time bubble" or anything - they just lived and moved very fast. Their planet rotated at a normal rate, their water flowed slowly enough...

"Wink" and "Blink" will probably be endlessy cross-compared, but it may turn out they have very little in common beyond the "Ink of an Eye" part.

Timo Saloniemi

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
ST:VOY stole the idea of a civilization growing at an incredible pace from the Simpsons. Lisa had her own civilization, remember?
IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er...that was a reference to a Twilight Zone episode, you realize.

------------------
"20th Century, go to sleep."
--
R.E.M.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Oops. Finger slipped." -Bart Simpson, wiping out hundreds of tiny people with one hand

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just saw it...I think that this episode rivaled "Genesis" in terms of sheer disregard for science, but it wasn't bad, compared to last week's episode.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Well, actually, time isn't constant. it all depends on your point of view. If someone was looking at the clock on my wall from the andromeda galaxy, they would see that my clock was running slower than theirs. Actually, i would also see their clock running slow compared to mine....There is a reason why, its just a little too complicated to say it here.

------------------
Obviously you refuse to cooperate with me. Obviously you have no discipline to kepp the mouth shut. Obviously you don't. Let's try it that way, then you might get the hint. How many more minutes are we going to waste asking you not to talk? How many more!?!

IP: Logged
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

Well..

I LOVED IT

It was entertaining.. a lot went on.. and they didn't leave you hanging..

For sheer entertainment value.. I thought it was great... And remembering that it is Science Fiction... I almost found the explaination about the planet believable..

Two thumbs up !!

------------------

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps