Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Blink of an Eye ($$$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Blink of an Eye ($$$$)
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I almost found the explaination about the planet believable.."

I can appreciate the entertainment value of the episode, but, uh, not this this statement.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't remember stuff." - John Linnell

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I loved this Episode also , it was very entertaining , it went back to the principales of Trek , and it brought back the Prime Directive and the conflict that the officers have with it , Its going to be fun to see what Starfleet Command thinks about this little run in Please let the writers of Voyager pick up on that , i really want to see an ep or 2 with Janeway and the crew explaining there actions to the Fed Council.

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited January 19, 2000).]

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is kind of harsh Frank.

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, simply put, the "explanation" for the planet was nonsense. I mean, a collapsed star? Tachyon core? Do they just pick random technobabble out of nowhere these days?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*refers Frank to his own status line* You really need to ask that?

------------------
"If you attempt to return the device to the store, and you are missing one single peanut, the store personnel will laugh in the chilling manner exhibited by Joseph Stalin just after he enslaved Eastern Europe."

Gepta001
Member # 231

- posted      Profile for Gepta001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So that one astronaut is from that Crusade tv show right? What entrance to the bridge was it that they used? It wasn't the turbolift!! Have we seen that door used before? Does anyone have a good pic, or archetechtual drawing of the bridge?

------------------
"Hey you...you talkin to me?"
"Show me your steel"
"I will show you my iron claw technique!"

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All I'm saying, Frank, is that the explaination about the planet was good enough for me not to care about how real it is..

It just wasnt' a planet with a different time differential !!

And .. Earth has a Magnetic Core ...

Who's to say a Tachyon core isn't plausible.. As I said .. it took a good imagination to think that up... I liked the idea. I'm gald they didn't use "a different layer of subspace" again !! That's what I'm happy about. I'm getting sick to death 'subspace layer' theory.

And what is Tachyon.. ?? ISn't that a made-up technobabble word in itself?? OR is it a real word of science ...?? I'm really not sure.. can anyone, scientifcally inclined clarify that for me. Isn't it just a theory.. cuz we certainly don't have any here on our planet .. or surrounding area as far as I know.

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!! :)

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"All I'm saying, Frank, is that the explaination about the planet was good enough for me not to care about how real it is.."

What if they said that it had a jelly-filled core?

"Who's to say a Tachyon core isn't plausible.."

Because tachyons probably don't exist. And, even if they did, they always move faster than the speed of light, so I don't see how they would stay in the core of a planet, or how they got there in the first place.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, if they don't exsist, how can you argue that a tachyon core isn't plausible?? It's the product of someone's imagination... the whole premise of Space travel outside our own planet is unphathomable right now.. Cripes, we can't even get to Mars !!!

And you still argue that Tachyon's are always on the move and that they can't be the core of a planet like it's scientific fact, when it's not.. How can you say one things not scientifically possible based on something that doesn't even exist?! SO if the planet's not possible, are tachyons possible??

Where do YOU draw the line between fact and fiction?

You will say that the law's of science have been completely thrown out the window, but yet you'll accept the 'Tachyon' theory as if it can be a scientic probability...

Do you see what I'm saying... I accept the fact that alot of the stuff in ST is fictitious .. the Cochrane for instance is a made up variable to make Warp Drive possible in the ST world .. In the Sixties, the whole idea was craziness. That's one of the reasons it didn't make it.

So now, in the Ninties/2000's, someone comes up with a totally unique idea; it's never been done before, and it gets slammed !!

I applaud the writer's creativity !!

Elim, help me here !! I fighting your good fight !!

------------------
I feel more like I do now, then when I first got here!!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax;

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited January 20, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"Well then, if they don't exsist, how can you argue that a tachyon core isn't plausible??"

Tachyons are theoretical particles with associated properties. If they do exist, they wouldn't be in a planet's core.

"the whole premise of Space travel outside our own planet is unphathomable right now"

Er, there has been travel to the moon.

"I applaud the writer's creativity !!"

I'll remember this when we get a jelly-filled planet on the show. I mean, anyone can spout nonsense, but that doesn't make it "creative."

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can answer the question regarding tachyon particles with my handy Star Trek Science Logs book. Here's what it says (oh, and tachyons do not exist):

"Tachyon are hypothetical particles, conceived by theoretical physicists, that can only travel faster than light. Tachyons have never been observed in nature, but they do not violate the special theory of relativity, as long as they never travel at or slower than the speed of light. In some ways tachyons "mirror" the properties of ordinary matter. For example, when a tachyon loses energy it actually speeds up. If a tachyon were accelerated to infinite velocity, its energy would drop to zero. Tachyons also have the curious property that they travel backward, not forward, in time. To the mind of a theoretical physicist, this bizarre conjecture isn't necessarily that hard to swallow. Richard Feynman once noted that from the point of view of the laws of physics, antimatter particles could be thought of as ordinary matter moving backwards in time; i.e., a positron can be treated as an electron traveling backward in time."

So there you go. If a planet had a tachyon core it would have an accelerated, almost instantious evolution. Unfortuantly for me, UPN airs college basketball in place of Voyager so I have to wait till Saturday.

------------------
Calvin: "I'm killing time while I wait for life to shower me with meaning and happiness"
Hobbes: "I hope you're comfy."
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited January 20, 2000).]

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank you really know how to suck the life right out of everything. Is it just that you hate Voyager so much that even when there is a good episode you have to find something wrong with it. It was a good show that I found entertaining and worth while.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

"Is it just that you hate Voyager so much that even when there is a good episode you have to find something wrong with it."

Look, the properties they gave the planet constitues a serious scientific flaw. It's like saying the planet was made out of foam rubber.

When they did this same thing in "Timescape" (TNG) they didn't explain the cause of the wacky time problems. Since none of this has any real basis, the writers didn't need to damage this episode by demonstrating their ignorance about the terms they're using.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You heard it here first, everyone: Nitpicks and scientific plausibility over story!
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I wouldn't go that far, but if they're going to violate the laws of physics, they don't need to give us a nonsensical explanation along with it. They could even have had Tuvok say that the planet violates the laws of physics.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps