Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Losing faith (Fair haven $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Losing faith (Fair haven $)
Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't seem to find a thread discussing "Spirit Folk", the continuation of the theme from "fair Haven" (I mis-titled the thread i'm afraid) here, but there damn well should be one. I haven't seen the ep, but I've read reviews and synopses and am horrified to conclude this may be the worst hour of Trek ever made. Yes, worse than "Shades of Grey".

Holodeck goes haywire?
Characters come to life and act in a tediously predicatable fashion?
Our heroes (TM) manage to act with incredible stupidity?

If anyone has seen this ep please tell me it's done tongue-in-cheek and not as a "serious drama".

Right now, for the first time ever, I am considering giving a Star Trek a miss.

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

[This message has been edited by Montgomery (edited February 29, 2000).]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen it yet, but opinions seem to be runing about 50/50 at the BBS. Some liked for humor, others hated it. I'll let you know after I see it Saturday.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen it and didn't mind it. It had some very funny spots in it. There is what some may consider drama, I would consider them moments of tension. These were ok not the best in the world but not the worst. All in all a good ep in my book, not original but good.

------------------
Death before Dishonor!
However Dishonor has
quite a disputed defintion.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Tec. It can hardly be labeled "The 'Shades of Grey' of Voyager." I mean... It had a plot. That's a plus!

Seriously, it was humourous in spots, and it raised some interesting questions, had good continuity, and was enjoyable IMO.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course it's not the "Shades of Grey" of Voy. Nothing could ever top (or bottom?) "Threshold".

Not the best ep ever, but not the worst, either. At least the holoprogram didn't just vanish, never to be mentioned again. We're finally getting a little continuity, people!

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Er, that implies that there never was any before.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the rough outlines of a theory which holds that Voyager is actually getting more maddening in terms of continuity while improving on a show by show basis. Stay tuned for more!

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Maddening in a good way or a bad way?

[This message has been edited by Elim Garak (edited March 01, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to say, really. Voyager has, in my eyes, switched from having seasons full of one-off episodes to seasons full of shows that almost, but not quite, carry themselves forward from previous plots.

In other words, Voyager is throwing out lots of stories that could be mined for much more than a single episode. The problem is, they haven't been. This season has to hold some sort of record for most promising plot threads that are almost followed up on. We've seen the ship take on all sorts of fellow castaways this season, something that I have always wanted to see. But little or no followup. And so it is maddening. This is contrasted to earlier seasons, where the episodes were almost all stand alone in nature, making a lack of connectivity much less worrisome.

------------------
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, personally, I didn't like it. But here are the basics; decide for yourself:

It's a holodeck episode. For some, this falls under "'nuff said".

The holodeck characters gain sentience. In the old days, this didn't happen unless you made the mistake of actually telling the computer to do it. Now we have it happening on it's own. Explanation? "Somebody left the holodeck running too long."

Like moral dilemmae? They got it covered, but, boy, did they ever **** it up! Members of the crew are taken hostage by the holocharacters and proclaimed witches. At one point, they're going to be burned at the stake. What's Janeway's solution? Shut down the holodeck and save her crewmembers' lives? Nope. Try to negotiate w/ photons and forcefields while the crewmembers could be killed at any moment. Apparently Janeway has now decided that it's more important to not destroy this holoprogram, than it is that her helmsman and chief operations officer stay alive.

------------------
Jackson: "Basically, he was the original Satan."
O'Neill: "Well, isn't that special?"
-Stargate SG-1: "Serpent's Song"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

On the other hand, if the holodeck characters really are sentient, deactivating the program constitutes a form of mass murder.

Not that the episode was about that, really. It was just some light holodeck comedy, mostly.

If I were a holodeck programmer, I'd be sure to write a little program along the lines of "Do not create self-aware computer programs unless specifically asked." It would cut down on a lot of trouble. Alternately, I would imagine that the capabilites of future holodecks might be massively downgraded, at least in regards to their ability to create such sentient entities. After all, true sentience isn't required for an enjoyable and realistic holodeck experience.

------------------
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ghastly mistake. Holodeck characters must not be allowed to become sentient at the drop of a hat. Moriarty was a one-off, created because the computer threw a wobbly when Data asked it to do a tricky thing.

The Doc is the only other example, and I rationalised this on the grounds that he is the most sophisticated, heavily-programmed and intelligent holocharacter ever devised. Even so, it required a prolonged eriod of activation for him to become sentient - you could say it's an "emergent property" of his program.

Run of the mill holocharacters are not this sophisticated. I don't give a toss how many times a character gets freaked out becaue a monir glitch in one line of their code allows them to scream when an arch is called up. I suspect Janeway seriously loses it in this ep, becoming more interested in retaining her hologrammatic "blow-up man" than in saving her people. REAL people. Sheesh, why doesn't Chakotay releive her on grounds that she's incapable due to sexual frustration!

------------------
"No way man!
I've served my time in hell, and I ain't going back...
Not without a fight!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before Janeway would of shut down the program she had the Doctor go in and try to work things out. With his mobile emitter it made him separate from the program. However once it was remove they said he became intergrated with the program. I guess that was to suggest if they killed the program the Doctor would go with it. Of course I find it hard to believe that they wouldn't have a backup EMH program.

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC there was no backup Doc program. They had to us another program, also played by Picardo, to stableize the Doc.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then what the hell was that program that looked and acted like the doc in that one episode where that doc had to set the record straight about Voyager for that one species several centuries in the future? They thought that Voyager and her crew were aggressors and violent.

What was that episode called? It had a good looking Warship Voyager.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps