Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » "Ashes to Ashes" (spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: "Ashes to Ashes" (spoilers)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are the United States. Resistance is futile. :-)

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tim is right...those are all trends that originated in the US. But, are you saying that everyone likes the WWF and everyone likes McDonalds and everyone likes Dilbert, etc.? Try taking a world-wide survey and see what it's really like.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This is a brand new song...we haven't recorded it yet, but we're going to now." - John Flansburgh

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read the article. Drival!
The guy is angry. Perhaps his children have been treated poorly, as mixed race kids often are.

I can only think of two instances where trek has shown two races from the same planet. There are black Vulcans, and the planet in 'Let This be Your Last Battlefield." There may be more, that were more subtle.

Only Earth is portrayed as being so diverse. Feringi, Klingons, Cardssians and Bajorans all seem to be of one race.

Babylon-5 was the same way. I remember a speach by Londo, where he was talking about how diverse Earth was compared to other planets.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With Klingons we've seen light tan colored and dark brown races of Klingons.

------------------
"The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park" - Torres
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't mind this ep ... your right ... this actress was good .. I liked her performance ..

The one thing that bothered me tho'..

When she was working on the Warp Drive for B'Elanna and she was working out the equation out loud in her new language, on such a culturally deverse environment such as the Federation, why did they react so strangly????!!!! i didn't get the racism - the ... race out of place syndrom there ??? How many Half-Klingons do you see on VOyager??? 1 ??

people look at Torres strangely at first, cuz she was always pulling a tantrum not cuz she was racially different .. they just accepted her Klingon behavior as default for someone of her race. It wasn't wierd!

Why should it have been any different. You'd figure with a crew who've encountered so many new and different races in their travels that they would not have been phased a bit at the way she fixed the problem .. in fact, I would have been intrigued; not miffed by how different she was!

I didn't understand that .. it seemed to go against everything Trek ..

------------------
-There can be only Nine !! ..mmm.. maybe 10 !!

- Alshrim Dax
The Other Dax:

[This message has been edited by Alshrim Dax (edited March 03, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"they just accepted her Klingon behavior as default for someone of her race."

See, this is what the above article is talking about...

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"This is a brand new song...we haven't recorded it yet, but we're going to now." - John Flansburgh

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Klingons, almost universally, act aggressive and short-tempered. It's just a fact. Humans, especially ones in Starfleet, tend to think they're better than other races. Another fact. These aren't cultural stereotypes. They happen to be largely true. If a Klingon acts aggressive, we know it's because they're Klingon. If they don't act aggressive, that's okay, too. There's no racism involved.

------------------
"Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding."
-They Might Be Giants, "Your Racist Friend"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

That's the point, though...externally, that's completely unrealistic.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank: "But, are you saying that everyone likes the WWF and everyone likes McDonalds and everyone likes Dilbert, etc.?"

YES, this is exactly what I'm saying, Frank. Every single member of the human race likes these things. Every person living today is a Big-Mac-eating, Dilbert-quoting, WWF-watching maniac.

Of course that's not what I'm saying. Quit being an idiot. If you want to know what I'm saying, read what I wrote.

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, then, I guess we know are significant differences between individuals. But you wouldn't know that from watching Trek.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"He's Satan. And not the good kind. I hate him. If there is a god, I hope Jebus has him fry in hell." - DT, in reference to me

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, yeah. Dukat and Garak act exactly alike. Duras and Worf, too. Oh, Martok and Gowron. Sybok and Tuvok. Rom and Quark. The list of species where all members are exactly the same is endless!

------------------
You are wise, witty, and wonderful, but you spend far too much time reading this sort of trash.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Dukat and Garak are both stereotypically treacherous. Duras, Worf, Martok, and Gowron are stereotypically aggressive. Sybok and Rom were considered anomolies! See?

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I for one am sick of all this human stereotyping that goes on. Why, not a single human being is allowed to breath liquid nitrogen! And this isn't limited to any single program, either. It's across the board, people. Clear racism on the behalf of a vast cultural conspiricy!

To rectify this, I plan to create a show where all humans breath liquid nitrogen, and some have thirteen extra fingers, and one of them speaks backwards. I've actually pitched this in Hollywood once before, and it went over pretty well. Until halfway through filming the pilot, when I realized that all of the actors were dead and two of them had shattered into unrecognizable bits. But that's just because I couldn't find any non-oxygencentric actors! I'll try again. Uh, anyone care to audition?

------------------
"You are stupid and evil and do not know you are stupid and evil."
--
Gene Ray, Cubic

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Sometimes I wish the planet would be scoured in cleansing fire. Other times I wish Sol would burn to a charred corpse while being crushed by a giant metal bird.

Your point is invalid. The cultures of intelligent species are not determined by the same factors that require them to breathe and so on.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There were black Bajorans on DS9, just look very closely at the first few seasons of the series. As for why the people in Engineer looked strangely at Ballard, maybe it felt akward seeing someone who was supposedly dead for a few years.

------------------
We did it on the floor,
We did it by the door,
We did it all night,
We did it under a light,
So how about for tonight we do it some more...

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps