Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » USS Voyager NCC-74656-A ??? (includes DS9 $$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: USS Voyager NCC-74656-A ??? (includes DS9 $$$)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[mumble]
This wasn't about the -A issue. This was about Voyager which may be destroyed at the end.
[/mumble]

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 15, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it was. But now it's about the suffix. :-)

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the producers do decide to blow up Voyager, they better show the ship launch escape pods and shuttles!! I've always wondered why I've never saw a shuttle launch when the evacuation orders were given out like in DS9's "Emissary" or "The Changing Face of Evil" or in Voyager's "Year of Hell." That always bothered me since shuttles can move away from ships faster.

------------------
Cigar Girl- "Would you like to check my figures?"

James Bond- "I'm sure that they are very well rounded..."

The World is Not Enough

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shuttles need to be prepped for launch. They also need pilots, which might not be too much of an issue assuming everyone in Starfleet gets some amount of flight training. Perhaps most importantly, on most ships the shuttlebay(s) aren't too close to where the majority of the ship's population is.

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bad idea!
No other ship than the Enterprise should have ABCD-regs!
The Yamato was an error and has been corrected!

About timeships:
Maybe they have got multiple ships from slightly different timelines, and to keep track og them, you give them a letter behind the number!
OR....A new series coming up: Star Trek: Relativity!

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, that's a nice idea Prakesh! A new Star Trek series featuring the adventures of the USS Relativity as they protect the timeline! Sounds good, I think.

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prakesh: Think about this... What possible reason could Starfleet have for giving only Enterprises suffices? It doesn't make even the least bit of sense...

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Enterprise A was a one time event demanded specifically by the Federation Council in honor of Kirk saving its capitol, and the tradition has been carried down to the E? Sounds highly logical to me.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhhh, I no this isn't exactly an 'abandon ship' situation but Odo took Kira onto a shuttle in "The Search"

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Sol: If they were doing it just for Kirk et al., the E-B wouldn't have gotten a suffix.

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

That isn't what I said, TSN. I said that it was given to the A by the Council, and that Starfleet has maintained the tradition by granting the suffix to each Enterprise since.

Why? Well, tradition tends to be rather strong in such institutions. But even more importantly, the Enterprise really is a symbol of Starfleet. The exploits of the original were apparently so famous as to encourage Starfleet Command to change their insignia to that of the ship.

------------------
--
R.E.M.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Doing it once (to the A) doesn't make it a tradition, so there's still no reason that they should have done it to the B...

------------------

Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, the Enterprise-A was give the suffix to honor Kirk's saving the Earth and the tradition was made ONLY because when the began to create TNG with a ship named Enterprise, the decided to use the sufix to their advantage to maintain a consistency between the two shows, so to speak. If you notice, the Enterprise-A was seen and THEN the D. The had to make the others B and C to maintain the continuity they started with giving the new Enterprise the D suffix.

Did that just all make sense?

------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Real world sense, yes. But we aren't in reality.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday so why do you lunge out at me?
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Star Trek realitity I'd say the Ent-B should not have had a suffix. But it may have been given because of the 'legends' that the previous Enterprises were.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps