Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » q: was the 1701 the first enterprise in starfleet? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: q: was the 1701 the first enterprise in starfleet?
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i always thought it was....
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The E-nil was the first FEDERATION Starship Enterprise. The Pre-E is the first starship NAMED Enterprise. It's not a Federation starship, despite being in the Earth Starfleet (which is apparently absorbed into the Federation when it gets founded.

Cutting the line mighty fine, ain't it?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then what starfleet does the pre-e belong to?
not to spoil anyone or anything but the latest promo shows them to be under service of starfleet.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy answer. The Enterprise (NX-01) is under the operation of the Earth Starfleet. The Enterprise (NCC-1701) will be under the operation of the Federation Starfleet.

In 2151, Earth is under one world government. She's been exploring the great unknown for a while now. She's on friendly terms with the planet Vulcan, but Vulcan is still somewhat leary of Earth. The founding of the United Federation of Planets is a good way off. Earth maintains a fleet of exploration ships and defense ships that operates under the direction of Starfleet. In other words, the Starfleet of 2151 is not the same Starfleet that we will come to know in TOS through Voyager.

Once the Federation is formed and Earth is named as the capital, the Earth Starfleet will be absorbed and modified into a service for all of the members of the Federation. At this point, the Earth Starfleet becomes the Federation Starfleet. Instead of exploring for and defending one planet, Starfleet explores for and defends several planets.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

oh ok.

So this "starfleet" is like Earth Force from babylon5
and has nothing to do with the starfleet that is said in the encyclopedia to have been founded in the same year as the federation?

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This just occured to me - does this mean that the Pre-E is fated to be destroyed by 2161? Or will the re-write things to call the E-nil the first Feredation Starship Enterprise constructed *expressly* for the Federation Starfleet? Now THERE's a poser...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

TheF0rce
Member # 533

yeah....the pre-e is doomed to be space debrie
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Comparing the Starfleet of Enterprise to EathForce in Babylon 5 is probably the best analogy.

Somehow, though, I doubt that the Enterprise would be destroyed prior to 2161. I think that she'll still be in service after that, but I think it will still be in some capacity that only serves Earth. I think it would take some time to fully organize an interplanetary military/exploration organization that would be to the complete satisfaction of all the members. Thus, the Federation Starfleet does exist in 2161, but it takes a while before she becomes the powerhouse that she will become.

During this time, the member planets will probably maintain their own planetary defense force just in case the Federation Starfleet doesn't do a good job (and to ease the minds of the citizens). After all, the Federation was more or less an experiment in a large interplanetary alliance with member contributing to the mutual good of themselves and the others. It would seem a prudent move to me. With the Earth Starfleet becoming the Federation Starfleet, a small portion of her ships and staff members may be retained as a Earth-only organization. Perhaps this will be called the United Earth Space Probe Agency?

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

also in what episold does it say that the 1701 is the first federation enterprise?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
None of them, explicitly. But the "Nth starship to bear the name" bit on the registry plaques is a rather large implicit hint.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Episode". E-P-I-S-O-D-E.
Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Trials & Tribble-ations, doesn’t Sisko tell those fellows from temporal investigations that “This was the first Enterprise,” referring of course, to NCC-1701?

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, but he didn't know then what Berman and Braga would be up to a couple of years later.
Though theoretically, Dulmer and Lucsley should have been able to know, being temporal investigators!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To assist the illiterate viewers who don't have high-quality stop-motion VCRs for reading the dedication plaque, TPTB inserted some verbal references in TNG already. For example "Remember Me" has an explicit reference where Crusher asks if there could be multiple starships Enterprise, and the computer says that there have been five starships of that name, that the E-D is the fifth, and that the E-D is the only one in service at this time.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, uhh, Crusher didn't know THAT!?

She never wondered why she was serving on the only ship in Starfleet with a "-D" registry? Didn't they tell her when she got her assignment on the Ent-D?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps