Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » q: was the 1701 the first enterprise in starfleet? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: q: was the 1701 the first enterprise in starfleet?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, while the Enterprise-A's ultimate fate is unknown, we know from Star Trek VI that the movie ended with the Enterprise eventually making it back to Earth in order to be decommissioned. After that, her fate is unknown. Is she in some museum? Did she get disassembled? Did she get turned into a galactic party tour ship? We don't know. But the movie definitely gives the impression that the Enterprise-A's last Starfleet mission ended by being nearly destroyed by Klingons.

As friend Stephen once told me, "If you're on the Enterprise and the Klingons show up, someone's about to lose a flagship."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't recall there being any mention of the A being decomissioned before the end of ST:VI (correct me if I am wrong). I always assumed that the A was being decomissioned because of the severe damage it took in the battle with the klingons.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason for decommissioning was somewhat nebulous. The start of the film had the crew taking about being three months away from retirement. Whether or not the ship was to follow the same fate is unknown. But what we do know is that at the end, Uhura repeated a message from Starfleet Command ordering then to return to Earth to be decommissioned. At some point between the end of Star Trek VI and the beginning of Generations, the Enterprise-A is retired. Possibly from the damage? Perhaps.

I happen to think that the Enterprise-A's decommissioning was coming up pretty quickly. The Excelsior class was probably in production by this point since the Excelsior herself was dropped from experimental status. And just a short three years later, the Enterprise-B was ready for launch. The Enterprise-B was a modified Excelsior class. Since it would take a while to build a ship (yet alone design the modifications and incorporate them into the design), I think that the Enterprise-B was already under construction during Star Trek VI.

This is just my opinion, but some of the facts that I use to base this opinion on are the Enterprise-B's design and construction time and that Starfleet didn't send another ship after the Enterprise-A when she first stated her warp drive was out for weeks and when the communication system went down. It seemed to me that Starfleet just sort of accepted the excuses as if they expected the ship to be suffering some minor or moderate systems trouble (granted, I also remain open to the possibility that the Enterprise-A was dodging ships that were sent after her).

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BAH! Come on people! Have some imagination!

Every Starfleet ship named Enterprise has been blown up by Klingons. And that is the end of that chapter.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Except the E-nil, which was blown up by Kirk.

And the E-C, which was blown up by Romulans.

We don't know what happend to the A and B.

So that leaves exactly ONE Enterprise that's been blown up by Klingons, for sure.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But the Klingons were there when the Romulans blew up that Ent, that should count for something- Klingons are bad luck for the Enterprise name.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
::in a Cartman mumble::

Goddamn you guys...

Alright, Klingons were involved in the destruction of every Enterprise...

And I believe my character stated as much.

You goddamn nitpickers of every goddman sentence...goddamn.

Screw you guys, I'm goin home.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What were Uhura's words at the end of ST6 again? Did she specify that it was the ship that was to be decommissioned, or could she have meant the officers? Do Starfleet officers get "decommissioned", that is, do they lose their commissions when they retire? Kirk did seem to wear his uniform even in retirement in "Generations".

Were the E-A officers perhaps to be dishonorably discharged (aka "decommissioned" in Starfleet parlance?) for their actions, despite McCoy's optimistic belief that the universe wasn't going to prosecute this time?

Kirk at least, in his farewell log entry, was convinced that "THIS ship" would inherit a new crew and go to new adventures. Not that he need have been right or anything, but at least Uhura's words hadn't convinced him that the story of the E-A was over.

Timo Saloniemi

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Uhura's exact words were, "We are to put back to port immediately... to be decommissioned." She doesn't specifically say that it is the ship or the crew that's going to be decommissioned, but the word "decommissioned" isn't usually used to apply to people.

I highly doubt that Kirk and the senior staff were dishonorably discharged. Think to the beginning of Star Trek: Generations. Chekov, Scotty, and Kirk were all at the launching ceremony for the Enterprise-B. All were in their uniforms with the same rank insignia as from The Undiscovered Country. If the crew had been dishonorably discharged, Kirk and company would probably not have been on the Enterprise-B for the ceremony. But if Starfleet did allow it, then they would have been civilian garb and not in their uniforms.

Besides, Starfleet would never have dishonorably discharged them for saving the galaxy. The last time the crew disobeyed orders and saved the day, the crew got a brand new Enterprise-A and Kirk was demoted to Captain in order to command that ship. Obviously a decision on the part of the Federation President and Starfleet Commander-in-Chief. I think the same thing happened at the end of The Undiscovered Country. Since Kirk saved their butts again, the Pres and CinC decided "they're not going to prosecute."

--------------------

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post 
[Warning - Newbie Alert]

{hello to the forum, don't give me a hard time please, i've been reading the threads for some time b4 the summer , and i kinda was out of the loop for the past 3-4 weeks}

Anyway perhaps this plot idea may explain why NCC-1701 (TOS era ship) is the first fed/starship to bear the name. At the end of the Enterprise (pre-TOS era) run, there final mission involves these circumstances:
In order to prevent some temporal displacement catastrophe to save the world, involving perhaps the Klingons/Romulans/totally new and unseen race. Capt. Beckett and Co. go back in time (waits for the groans to stop) to the point before this new enterprise even went on the drawing boards, but some special piece of alien technology purges the future timeline of anything which may have become corrupted in the timeline, so that by the time we get to kirk's era, Beckett's enterprise never even existed...

Of course i'm probably completely wrong. [specially with everyone laughing at me ]

well that was my opinion.

Fedaykin Supastar out.

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Erm, that's Captain Archer...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

sorry bout the name, for some reason all i can think of is: Sam Beckett/

is Sam beckett anyone important?

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
is Sam beckett anyone important?

Not in Enterprise. It's the main char played by Archer-actor Scott Bakula in the Sci-fi series "Quantum Leap".

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

OnToMars
Member # 621

And a revolutionary playwright...

Does anybody in this Forum have ANY culture?

--------------------

Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

oh thanks for the help guys.

I also began to think of Arch-Bishop of Canturbury
but thats thomas beckett.

--------------------
- PsyLiam; 16th June

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps