Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Continuity Errors (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Continuity Errors
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Liam, thanks for the information. I had thought the changes to the model had occurred later than they actually did. Oops.

quote:
Are there fleet captains and fleet admirals? Is anyone identified as a yeoman?

Gee, well, I don't know. After all, the series has yet to air. Outside of the names of three admirals and the primary crew, we've had mention of exactly ZERO other crew members. And, to be honest, fleet captain was mentioned all of twice in TOS. Fleet Captain Pike and Fleet Captain Garth. No mention was made of where in the rank structure they fit in. It was probably more of a position than a rank. Same thing with Fleet Admiral.

quote:
This is mindless. I made a very good point that we can see the evolution of ships in the first series.

No, you did not. You used the example of a fusion rocket powered sublight sleeper ship launched (supposedly) in 1996 and the Constitution class Enterprise that was in service in 2266 or so. That is clearly NOT a reasonable sample in order to base ANY claims of an evolution in starship design. The two ships are completely disimilar with different reasons for existing. They are separated by almost three hundred years of technological improvements.

quote:
I, also, made the very good point that the new series is based largely on the last three series.

No, what you did was launch into a rant about how Berman and Braga are seeking power and glory, show disdain for TOS, and are trying to sweep TOS under the carpet. I hate to break it to you, but all the studios are interested in is money. If Warner Brothers couldn't have made money off of The Phantom Menace, then George Lucas probably would have never gotten the chance to make it. Same thing with Trek. Paramount can make money off of Star Trek, thus Berman and Braga can produce yet another series and movie. It's called capitalism. And so what if it's based on the last three series? What do you think the last three series were based on? Babylon 5? Get Smart? The Howdy-Doody Show? Star Trek leads back to one thing: The Original Series. I have yet to see how the modern Trek has deviated from The Original Series.

quote:
If you like all, all four series, then you will be gnawing your teeth and uttering curses to both men?

Nope. I love The Original Series. I will not be gnawing my teeth and uttering curses until they have done something to merit it. Until then, all this complaining and personal attacks are nothing but examples of pettiness.

quote:
They are not here to pleasure you. They are here to pleasure themselves and their supervisors. We are merely riders on this train.

Oh yes, let's close with sexual references and innuendos.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If Warner Brothers couldn't have made money off of The Phantom Menace

20th Century Fox.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, whatever. I still got my point across regardless.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The (di)lithium thing is a non-issue if we just make the obvious assumption that, whenever they called it "lithium", it was just an abbrevaited term, and they were really talking about dilithium.
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am on hiatus for a week. Aren't you just thrilled?
Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The (di)lithium thing is a non-issue if we just make the obvious assumption that, whenever they called it "lithium", it was just an abbrevaited term, and they were really talking about dilithium.

I agree, but when I mentioned that here a few months ago everyone reacted like it was the most preposterous thing they had ever heard.

This is one point that I am willing to concede to Braga and Berman. If a warp reaction could be controlled by lithium (albiet much less effectively) many points from all four series and the movies would not make sense. You need rare and wonderous dilithium to make warp drive go.

Of course at the same time I contradict myself, because I believe that by no means should Cochrane have had dilithium (we don't have it on earth).

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may or may not actually need dilithium... afterall, it merely regulates the reaction and tunes the plasma. There are likely other ways to adjust the frequency of the plasma. However, agreed that plain old lithium probably isn't one of those ways.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True Ryan. One easy way around the problem is to mention lithium too--perhaps serving another important function for the drive/power system. Nobody ever said they did the same thing.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Aren't you just thrilled?

You have NO idea how much.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can honestly say that the font of the registry is the least of my worries at this time. I don't have a problem with it at all.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The targets in some particle accelerators are made out of lithium. Uh, not that that's really important.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Of course at the same time I contradict myself, because I believe that by no means should Cochrane have had dilithium (we don't have it on earth)."

Erm... Wasn't it pretty much agreed that he must have been using a fusion reaction, or something?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps a meteor containing several exotic crystals from outer space crashed into the Tiber River, spawning a new technological revolution?

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

quote:
Erm... Wasn't it pretty much agreed that he must have been using a fusion reaction, or something?

Yes until the Voyager episode with the MARA probe just a few years after the Pheonix flight. It's true that a regular (dilithium) powered warp core could have been acuired during that short span (from the vulcans, some other race, or perhaps humans just discovered dithium which was the missing link needed for a matter/antimatter reaction). The episode still raises the possibility that the pheonix was powered by a dithlithium regulated MARA warp drive.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I don't think that a matter/antimatter reaction system is wholly dependent on dilithium for regulation. I've always surmised that the larger starships use dilithium crystels simply because of the massive amounts of antimatter and matter that are injected into the reactor core. And by massive amounts, I'm talking about a relative comparison. I'd think that smaller systems that use much less antimatter and matter would not need dilithium. In fact, I'd bet that some other artificially produced substance might have been devised for use.

$$ Spoilers for Voyager Season 7 $$

In "Friendship One," the Voyager episode with the Earth probe, it's obvious that the probe ran on some sort of antimatter/matter power system. However, no mention is made of dilithium. I would think that dilithium would be wholly more important than antimatter. It can regulate antimatter/matter reactions and conduct electricity and make a delicious lasagna. The information for creating antimatter would likely be in the probe's computer, so the probe having antimatter itself would not be as important.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps