Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Admiralty uniforms (TOS continuity) minor $$$ for Shadows of P'Jem (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Admiralty uniforms (TOS continuity) minor $$$ for Shadows of P'Jem
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Broken Bow it seemed that the Starfleet admirals had 4 sleeve stripes on their uniform, but now I watched "Shadows of P'Jem" and got a closer look. In fact they are using the same sleeve stripe-system as TOS admirals did. It's amazing that they payed attention to this detail.

[ February 14, 2002, 03:15: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like those Admiral uniforms! Has a little bit of everything: contemptorary, TOS and TNG.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't notice the sleeve stripes...but I'll have to go back and look.

I can't say I particularly care for the Admirals Uniforms in Enterprise. DS9's episode "Past Tense" established that, in the 2020's neckties sort of disappeared and were placed with a cool psuedo-bow tie wrap around deal. It looked futuristic without being a vast departure. Now, I'm not saying it's a continuity issue or anything...fashion can be cyclical, but I would have preferred to see something along those lines if they were going to introduce ties into the uniforms.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have loved those ties as well, or perhaps something completely different again. But the military has always been conservative with the dress code... Perhaps the good Admiral wears a more futuristic neck ornament when off duty.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should think that the more enlightened humanity of the 22nd century would have gotten rid of the dumb things...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so everyone knows what we are talking about:

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

They even managed to correctly match both Vice Admiral ranks... Forrest is the chief of Starfleet, right? Who was the other guy?

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think they've ever said specifically that he's the chief of Starfleet, though one could assume that's true since he's was in charge of selecting the captain of Enterprise, probably Starfleet's biggest mission since ships started leaving the Sol System.

Another thing I just don't dig about the uniforms is the collars. "Past Tense" also gave us collarless shirts and jackets. Every other Starfleet Uniform we've seen continues that trend of having no fold-over collars... This almost seems too present day for me...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any theories why admirals have red-white as division color and not gold-white?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I think the stripes on the chest of the admiral's uniform are blue, gold, and red...representing all the division colors. It just looks like red and white in that photo.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IIRC, Starbase Commodores tended to have red shirts, no? Stocker and Stone wore red, but Mendez and Tracy wore gold. Perhaps there's a distinction between starblase commanders and those who command(ed) starships.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Vulcan
Member # 633

- posted      Profile for The Vulcan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They wanted enterprise to be perfect, no errors, I guess they spent everyday going over the show and characters, etc.

--------------------
Die please.

k, thx.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They wanted Enterprise to be perfect, no errors, I guess they spent everyday going over the show and characters, etc.
Guess wrong. I dont think they even took one day.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And now that we've heard from the extremes...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect many of the designers spent a fair amount of time going through old TOS eps, mainly to get ideas rather than out of some policy of getting in as many TOS-friendly details they possibly could. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps