Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Admiralty uniforms (TOS continuity) minor $$$ for Shadows of P'Jem (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Admiralty uniforms (TOS continuity) minor $$$ for Shadows of P'Jem
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I would change about that admiral uniform is the zipper. I think it should have buttons. They try to make it look formal, but the zipper doesn't work in my opinion.

Like this admiral uniform from JAG.

Also be nice if they did 'winter blues' and 'summer whites' for admiral uniforms.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If they're going to do that, why not just go the USN and ask to borrow some uniforms? They have to make it look different somehow...
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I suspect many of the designers spent a fair amount of time going through old TOS eps
That's so interesting, because Admiral stripes didn't appear in any TOS episode. There's just one outtake (AFAIK), were you can see them.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
If they're going to do that, why not just go the USN and ask to borrow some uniforms? They have to make it look different somehow...

Well since they've already copied it about 90% what's the point. My point is the zipper just doesn't look right. So instead of different good, it's different bad. That's just my opinion anyway.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had ties for a long, long, time, and they've changed very little. Even though the things have never really had much of a purpose, it would IMHO be unrealistic for us to not have them in 150 years.

While Spike's discussing uniforms, BTW, I have an unrelated uniformish point for him: The other night "Relativity" re-ran, and I'm positive I saw a 29th century uniform with a red department colour in addition to the purple, green and orange. If anyone who's got it on tape wants to re-check, in the final scene where crazy-Braxton is under guard on the Relativity's bridge, there's a female guard who is definately wearing red... She's standing alongside two other gentlemen in orange, and its pretty clearly a different colour.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only TOS episode I have that features a member of the admiralty is "Court Martial". Commodore Stone clearly has sleeve-stripes as depicted in the Encyclopedia-2 as commodore insignia. Perhaps we never saw what any higher-up admirals wore, but Forrest's stripes do make me think more of the TOS stripes than modern-day ones.
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Perhaps we never saw what any higher-up admirals wore
There were 3 admirals in TOS (Fitzpatrick, Komack, and Westervliet) but we never saw the sleeve stripes. But there's one outtake with Fitzpatrick and a tribble were you can see them and they are |[]| (in the USN it would be []|| ).
And Forrest's stripes are also |[]|.

BTW: Does anyone have a picture of Westervliet? He appeared in TOS For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.

[ February 17, 2002, 00:39: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, I just captured a picture of him from my DVD, but the upload space that I-forget-who recently set up for Flare stuff is a bitch to upload to, so I can't get it online. Want me to e-mail it to you, or something?
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Yes, please send it to [email protected]
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post 
iMHO i like the Enterprise admirals' uniforms, even wit the tie....

i reckon the zipper is just there because its more 'modern' than a button.

perhaps the ties is just part of 'tradition' which eventually got phased out.....

if its been said before then i'm just reinforcing the idea.

buzz

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps