Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Gettin� comfy with Enterprise (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Gettin� comfy with Enterprise
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been watching enterprise now for about what is it now? It has almost been a season now, 4 months anyway it is obvious…Enterprise is here to stay. This is good because personally I think the series kicks a*s and all around I would like to take a minute to reflect, on the episodes on the technology and the characters, it is finally becoming a routine every Wednesday eight o’clock. It is really nice to come home after whatever I’ve been doing all day ex. (School, work etc…) and I would just like what everyone thinks of the series so far.

random image of the ENT (linked because it's really huge and makes the thread look bad)

[ March 22, 2002, 20:24: Message edited by: TSN ]

--------------------
"Explore New Worlds"

Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO, it is still touch and go with Enterprise. Enterprise had a few good episode, but it also had plenty of bad ones. Overall, if you can believe it, I'm still undecided on whether Enterprise, as a series, is good or not.

As for the image; Did you make it? If so, it really kicks ass.

[nitpick]There is one thing kind of wierd about it, though. The movement streaks in the image is making the Enterprise look as if it were moving at warp speed in reverse.[/nitpick]

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with me is that I when i watch the show I do not nitpick and criticize everything I see on the show. Thats what some of you are doing to the show. Of course if you are going to watch the show like that, you are going to find lots of things that are wrong.

If I do that, i can find millions of things wrong with TNG, TOS, DS9 and other shows.

Why can't people just sit down and enjoy the show regardless if there is a slight problem in the show, that makes harcore Trekkeies (Trekkers), go crazy and beat people up because of that.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

- posted      Profile for koy'peled Oy'tio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no i didnt make it i found it at Lcarscom there are abunch more there if you like them.

[ March 22, 2002, 08:56: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"that makes harcore Trekkeies [sic] (Trekkers), go crazy and beat people up"

We'd be hard-pressed to actually find a Trekkie that could actually do physical damage to another human being, let alone be physically imposing.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To answer Koy'peled's question: I'm not saying that I dislike Enterprise. However, IMHO, the show (at least so far) doesn't really seem to be much different than if Voyager had an 8th season. Other than the fact that there's a different ship, a different crew, & a different time period, it's pretty much the same show. The technology is pretty much the same. The plot is pretty much the same. The aliens are pretty much the same. The writing is pretty much the same. Even some of the characters are pretty much the same. But if you think it kicks ass, that's great. I just don't particularly think so.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can understand not liking Enterprise for any number of reasons. But I really can't see the argument that it's "just like" Voyager. The show, to me, feels completely different from previous Treks, and it seems obvious to me that the powers that be are approaching the thing from a slightly different angle.

Anyway, personally, I think Enterprise is having one of the strongest first seasons of any Trek incarnation, apart from TOS. As of yet there has been nothing like a "Code of Honor" or a "If Wishes Were Horses" (It's Rumplestiltskin! In space! You see?!), or an "Eye of the Needle." I'm not saying that the show is flawless or beyond criticism, and I can see why someone would despise it terribly and want to see everyone responsible torn apart by wild beasts or convention-goers. But not if those flaws include "a number of terrible episodes," which I've simply not seen.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the clubhouse, koy'peled Oy'tio.

Wow, that's a... big... picture. It's nice though.

On a scale of 1 to 10, I'd give Enterprise's first season so far about midway between a B- and a B (ha ha! I make a fooley!).

Seriously, I think the season has been fairly solid. So far, only one episode has come up that I haven't liked, and that was "Shadows of P'Jem." The other episodes have ranged from about average to good. My favorite episode so far this season is a toss-up between "Dear Doctor" and "Shuttlepod One." Both were very heavy character episodes that were simply terrific, in my opinion.

I have to disagree that this is Voyager's 8th season. There are so many differences present. Enterprise seemed to have brought a good deal of focus back onto the characters instead of just the technology (which always seemed, to me at least, to be a focus of Voyager). The character development has been good. The relationship between Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker is improving, but it's moving at a slow and steady pace. It's not the bam! we're there development that we saw between Paris and Neelix. Plus, the secondary characters of the cast are getting some good attention. Hoshi Sato and Phlox has gotten a lot of good bits this season, but Mayweather and Reed could use some more.

I don't see anything bad about the writing of the show. I think that on the whole it's been fairly good. Plus, the writers are making a conscious effort to not make the stories so technobabble weighty. Plus, they are maintaining a good continuity with the rest of the series. We've only had one continuity blunder this season (that I know of), and this is a conflict with Voyager. And I think that they are respecting and protecting the integrity of The Original Series (although I have no doubt someone is going to jump in here and tell me off for saying so).

I think Enterprise has done really well for a series that has seemed to have a opposition from a loud subset of fandom and for tackling the task of fitting into the beginning of a scheme set in place by four other series. Of couse, I don't think that Enterprise is flawless either. I'd like to see more work done with the temporal cold war. For a central theme, it's been pretty well ignored. I also think they need to reign in the trend of casting the Vulcans in such a bad light. That is some tinkering I could do without.

But overall, I like the first season of Enterprise.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think that I liked Enterprise much. Then I started watching some of the reruns of TNG on TNN. They had quite a few stinkers for all the good stuff they did do. Now, I can sense that there is some kind of undercurrent happening in Enterprise, and that kind of excites me, but we'll see how it turns out. Does anyone know how it's doing numbers-wise? I know that I try to watch it whenever it comes on, but after a couple of episodes my friends don't watch it anymore.

If nothing else I do totally love the effects and props and costumes. They make me drools with envy. The characters? Not so much. I'm a big fan of TOS, so I'm biased, but overall, I'm finding Archer to be a little too soft for my tastes. He's a bit too nice without being nearly as interesting as Picard. I loved in an early episode of DS9 where Sisko slugs Q right in the face. It let us know we were going to have another brawler. I found that I liked his character a lot more after that. Maybe Archer just need s to beat more people up.

I definitely think it's got potential. It's gonna have to work pretty hard to be my fav, but I'll still watch it.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well.. I've absolutely ENJOYED the heck out of Enterprise.

I watch the show for what it is... Sci-Fi at it's best, IMHO..

The writting is good.. the effect are great... The moods for the stories are great..

It was like I said when Enterprise was still just about to come out .. and everyone said the writting would be crap... I thought.. maybe they would be inspired... The vision was new - and their own..

I think this is a great ST series...

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
March 11-17:

Alias 6.8 (I don't actually watch this show, and I know it has spies and things that don't scream out SF, but it's been getting into all sorts of strange prophecy/fate of the world kind of things lately, no? Anyway, it's the highest rated show that could possible fit within the net of "speculative fiction.")

The X-Files 4.8

Smallville 3.8

Dark Angel 3.5

Futurama 3.5

Buffy 3.2

Charmed 3.1 (Eh...most SF lists I see include this. Witches, and so forth! I guess.)

"Futurama 2" 2.6 (A repeat, I'm guessing, or something.)

Enterprise 2.5

Sabrina The Teenage Witch 2.4 (More witches! This is still on?)

Then there are some fantasy type things on PAX which round out the extreme bottom of the barrel, but the less said about PAX the better.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh. WB.
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't watched 'Enterprise' in weeks, and I find that I don't miss the show.
koy'peled Oy'tio
Member # 796

you better watch what you say around the young ones

[ March 23, 2002, 10:18: Message edited by: koy'peled Oy'tio ]

The Defiant
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
To resurrect a dead topic...

I wasn't alive when TOS aired, sp I can't say.

TNG was waaaaaaaaaaay out there when it aired. But it was really good.

DS9 was different, but was lacking something, the fact that they really went nowhere got it down.

Voyager started out good, but was reduced to udder crap (cough*seven*hack.Gack.*Borg*cough)

Enterprise is a lot different. But has the Voyager feel to it. Maybe it's the patent pending BremanBraga Effect.

I don't know. Why did I post this?

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps