Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Spoilers for Season 2! (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Spoilers for Season 2!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could give a shit who's overweight or not. I'm overweight if it comes down to it. I was being generic. Try not to be so thin-skinned, or big-boned, or glandular. . . 8)

So you want genuine criticism? That's actually quite hard to do. It's hard to accuse them of failing to develop characters when we're only one-seventh of the way through the show's run. You could accuse any of the shows of that. Even the holy of holies, DS9 - can anyone really say that Jake Sisko ever really worked as well as some of the other characters in that one?

Now, I will get round to posting my views on Enterprise, but I have to write them first. And I stand by anyone's right to carp at the show, just as we carped at Voyager before it, and just as we carped at Berman and Braga when they were making that show. I've never viewed anyone who defended Enterprise as sucking up to B&B, so please do me (and others like me) a favour and stop instinctively accusing anyone who attacks Enterprise of antiBragaism. Because it DOES happen. All the time. And I'm sick of it, and it's actually prevented me from wanting to critique the show because I know that it'll just happen again.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Are you waiting for Dean Stockwell to have a cameo?"

Oh yeah. Whoo...

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gee, in a debate on Star Trek, my being fat has been dragged into it for the sole purpose of a personal attack, and I'm being too sensitive about it? Thanks, I just feel oh so wonderful now.

Even with there being only a couple dozen episodes of Enterprise in existence, it is still quite possible to form an adequate critique. Character development, character motivations, directing, writing, series direction, and plotlines have all been far from perfect. We can't use this to predict that the entire series will be a disaster, but we can look at where the show is failing and and where the show is succeeding.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But are there undue criticisms against Enterprise that the other series, while certainly not unexhibiting these areas, go unscathed?

With the longevity of the Franchise, the "criticisms" become more vehement, personal and outrageous. From what I gather, Enterprise raped all your Grandmas and gave the body to the Producers to dispose of. And then they raped it too.

Far too many of the adjutant arrows used to shoot Enterprise down seem to spawn from a quiver based on the archer's personal belief of what Star Trek should be. With 36 years of it in the bag, each fan has their own opinion of what it should be. So they cut it down, because it's not one hour descriptions of each ship class in Starfleet.

Enterprise is good TV. Better than "Who Wants to Eat the Rotting Carcass of a Millionaire?" and "E!'s Celebrity Murder!", and better than most other programs on UPN. Not the best, but it doesn't suck.

Is it good Star Trek? Unfortunately, this seems to be a personal decision, and everyone seems to have such ingrained paradigms that this will never adequately be ansered to sufficision.

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The attacks against one another's character stop. Now.

Siegfried, I don't think Lee said that as a personal attack. Frankly, I don't think anyone here really cares about the weight of any of the others. It is a nonissue.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, if you replace "*end of sentence*. Now" with "*end of sentence*. Period" then Charles is Beast Machines Cheetor. Scary.

He's right though. Besides, you're all fatter than me. Ha! I laugh through my nose at you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not fatter than you.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet you are.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Charles, I'm dropping it.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
PLUS we got the debuts of some FABULOUS recurring characters.
I really just imagine you saying FABULOUS with a heavy gay lisp.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes. He also said that Kai Opaka was interesting, but I let that slide in the interests of universal harmony.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps