Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Bangs Head On Wall... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$$ Bangs Head On Wall...
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoilers for what is said will be the tenth episode of the season!

$
$
$
$
$

http://www.trektoday.com/news/240902_03.shtml

I'm tempted to recant my previous vow not to insult Berman and Braga. THIS is their idea of a "fresh and exciting" Star Trek series? A transporter accident is about as fresh as a gallon of milk that's been left out in the sun all day! And the victim is turned invisible? Gee, where have I heard THAT one before?

*sigh*

(Counts to ten, slowly...)

I will NOT hurl insults. I will NOT write expletives. I will NOT...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm none too impressed either.

It seems especially weird considering Braga's gone on at some length about how he was none-to-proud of the eps like "Oasis" that squeaked out last year with unoriginal plots; going so far, IIRC, as to say that he was actively trying to weed out potential rehashes early in the development process this year, before time pressures kick in and they simply have to go with them.

(shameless optimist notes: The possibility did cross my mind that TPTB have finally played their ace and set us up the bomb that they've publically ruminated over for years, namely releasing dud casting info [I'm pretty certain most spoilers these days are being cribbed from casting stuff] in the hopes of fucking with the online news cabal. But that's my nattery don't-violently-hate-people-you-don't-know apologist side kicking in. Ignore it at will.)

Or they're just working on a terribly unoriginal episode. In which case I'll reserve judgement till I see the finished but mutter grumpily until then all the same. It's not even like the fans really loved "The Next Phase."

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
the next phase had too many problems to be good. how the hell did they stand on the non-phased floor, or breathe the non-phased air? has some good scened, though.
IP: Logged
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I know it's just a rumor at this point. But I've been reading Trek Today for three years now, and they've rarely been wrong when publishing pre-production details.

That's the thing that annoys me the most, though. Berman and Braga have been bragging for a year now that Enterprise is going to be fresh and new, that it's going to reinvent the franchise. Braga's commented on the "poopy" episodes -- and in that interview he specifically referred to "misfired concepts."

Well, if the report on this episode premise is even halfway accurate, this misfired concept is going to blow up on the launching pad.

*grumbles*

Transporter accident. "Fresh ideas," my ass...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody hell. They do the "Oh, look, I'm totally invisible and no-one can hear me but if I thrust my hand through a piece of electrical equipment it short-circuits!" routine! I've seen that so many times, I'm having trouble remembering (or distinguishing between) them all! Seven Days. . . an Outer Limits ep. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the many reasons why I am not even bothering to give Enterprise a chance. Besides, it's on a horrible timeslot: Law and Order or Enterprise, what should I choose?

Yes, I know, newer eps are on once a week on Wednesdays, I'm still trying to find a channel that will broadcast L&O every day....

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

doesn't A&E show law and order every day?
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Obviously, you missed Tahna's thread. The Superstation or TBS or one of those bought exclusive rights to Law & Order.

Er. Wasn't there an L&O spin-off before SVU that failed and was cancelled?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. "Early script." Obviously, this little phrase has gotten by most of you. Didn't you learn anything from reading the various Companions and interviews and such about script development?

I'm just saying it's a bit early to form opinions about a show that hasn't even finished being written yet.

2. There's obviously more going on than simple invisibility here. Reread.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

yeah, according to the A&E website, law and order no longet plays on that station. too bad if *gag* tbs got their hands on it.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by First of Two:
[QB]1. "Early script." Obviously, this little phrase has gotten by most of you. Didn't you learn anything from reading the various Companions and interviews and such about script development?

I'm just saying it's a bit early to form opinions about a show that hasn't even finished being written yet.

Yes, if you reread MY post, I do mention that it's still apparently in the preliminary stages, and only a rumor. But like I said, Trek Today has been pretty reliable for most of these kinds of reports.
quote:
2. There's obviously more going on than simple invisibility here. Reread.
Why yes, there IS more going on than simple invisibility.
  • Crewmember(s) turn invisible in a transporter accident, can walk through walls but not fall through the floor.
  • Evil aliens try to sabotage the ship.
  • Funeral scene and/or characters react to the appareant death(s).
  • The invisible crewmember(s) discover that if they stick their hands in stuff, they can signal their comrades and let them realize that they're alive.
Hopefully this should sound familiar? We're on a Star Trek board, after all. [Wink]
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling "Vanishing Point" will be Enterprise's "Threshold."

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But even as ridiculous as "Threshold" was, at least its plot wasn't a rip-off of an episode from a previous series.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then again, I'd have preferred Threshold if it were a ripoff of a previous series' show. Except, perhaps, a ripoff of "And the Children Shall Lead" or something.

The horror.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

please don't mention and the children will... *BARF*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps