Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Carbon Creek $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$$ Carbon Creek $$$
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No one has commented yet?? Either it was so good that no one is complaining about it - or it sucked so bad the people aren't bothering!

However -- I digress.

I liked this episode. It was low-tech for the most part, but I thought is was a great story. Again, here you see Vulcans as being more prone to emotion; more evidence of their evolution over the years between 1957 and the 21st Century and beyond.

I found it very interesting, also, that the vulcan left behind was named: Mestral - and the inventor of Velcro was George De Mestral. Neat little tie-in there a la "Voyage Home"

Mestral was played by the same actor that portraited ONE in Voyager: J. Paul Boehmar -- he was great again. I would have like to see T'Pol's great great grandmother be a little different....

All in all i liked this episode..

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I was expecting great things from Mr. Boehmer, and overall he delivered. Mestral wasn't overtly emotional at all -- he was logical, but simply not as rigid as Sarek or even Spock. It was nice to see aliens viewing Humans as complex beings for once, rather than the typical "you humans are such simplistic creatures" comments, like Phlox is so fond of doing.

OTOH, is there some rule that says that every major character's ancestor must be played by the same actor? I'm sorry, but in this case, I could see absolutely no difference between T'Mir and T'Pol.

Still, overall I definitely enjoyed the story. An interesting method for Vulcans to get some perspective on Earth, and for us to see it happen. And we were actually spared a technobabble solution! Rather than the old "bone knives and bear skins" routine, especially after last week's "time travel, McGyver style" crap, it's nice to see that the writers aren't TOTALLY hung up on their vices.

EDIT/ADDITION: I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier... just what the heck did Mestral plan to do when he hit his Pon Farr?

[ September 26, 2002, 11:10: Message edited by: MinutiaeMan ]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know what !!!?? That is a great question! I think the B&B comepletely forgot about that fact!!!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember though, we don't know just how much of T'Pol's story was real, and how much was made-up...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just what the heck did Mestral plan to do when he hit his Pon Farr?
Get a wife or visit a bordell.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doesn't work. First, Vulcan sex involves mental as well as physical interaction. How would you suggest he explain his telepathic abilities to his partner? Second, would he plan on keeping his wool hat on while he's doing it? Third, I'm sure that even as enamored with the Humans as he is, interspecies sex would probably NOT be a good idea without full exobiological analysis -- even to Mestral.

And finally, if he suddenly developed health problems he'd be rushed to a hospital, where there'd undoubtedly be an "alien autopsy."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
How would you suggest he explain his telepathic abilities to his partner?
If he finds a partner who loves him, he could tell her the truth.

Or he doesn't explain it. Would you believe a woman in a talkshow, who says that an alien with pointed ears had sex with her?

quote:
interspecies sex would probably NOT be a good idea without full exobiological analysis
Bad idea or not, he doesn't have many options.

[ September 26, 2002, 14:19: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
And finally, if he suddenly developed health problems he'd be rushed to a hospital, where there'd undoubtedly be an "alien autopsy."

and then we would have another regurgitated TNG script, and everyone knows that Berman and Bragga would never regurgitate a TNG script.
IP: Logged
ubermetroid
Member # 729

- posted      Profile for ubermetroid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
interspecies sex would probably NOT be a good idea without full exobiological analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but look at Spock, he turned out ok.

--------------------
"That's the problem with nature. Something is always stinging you or oozing mucous on you. lets go watch tv." - Calvin & Hobbes

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

yes, but know one in the Enterprise timeline knows that [Roll Eyes]
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No.

No one.

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

thank you for the correction. i was slightly tipsy when i typed that out.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tipsy? Tipsy? Imbibed one snifter of sherry too many, Aunt Tabitha?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

quote:
Originally posted by Spekkio:
True, but look at Spock, he turned out ok.

Of course I know Spock turned out okay. But Spock was born decades after the Federation was founded, and 150 years after First Contact. There was plenty of time to make sure that they two races are biologically compatible, or at least they won't kill each other with alien microbes. Mestral simply had no way of knowing that -- and NONE of the Vulcans would have known that.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y'know, instead of sex, he could always just go do the next best thing: kill someone.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps