Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Opening Credits Observation (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Opening Credits Observation
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of the sticking points with me about the optimistic theme of "Enterprise" is how it's supposed to be all of Humanity that's reaching for the stars, but the vast majority of the exploration feats depicted are American or British-related, and other things like Sputnik were omitted.

But for some reason, this evening I was looking at some of the patterns that were on the screen while the credits were rolling. And I *think* that some of the patterns were actually writing -- Arabic.

Can anyone else confirm this?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sputnik isn't included, presumably, because all of the images shown (save one) are manned missions. (I'm guessing that Pathfinder was included because it is a relatively fresh event, and lots of people watched it roll around, whereas Sputnik is, like, totally over. Satellites? Please. I'm watching the darn show via satellite. Satellites are about as high tech as zippers.)

Of course, Gagarin should probably be there. But, if its inclusivity you're looking for, 10% or so of the people pictured are Nazis. Inclusive enough for you?

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manned missions is a possibility... but I'd think that Sputnik would be a whole lot more important than the Pathfinder probe -- because it was Humanity's FIRST venture into space, even if it wasn't manned.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just starting to like the song, let alone watch the opening....
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, while still not, you know, wanting to buy or indeed listen to the song anywhere else, I really like the opening, visually. Except! The bit where the ship is on the horizon and stretching out before it is the outline of a highway? Tacky.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't a manhole cover one of the first human-made things in space?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, after that sewer gas mishap of '58.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW, what's that submarine thingy anyway?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A USN research sub.

My grip about the opening sequence is the suggestion that Anglo-Americans have done more to advance the exploration of humans in the last two hundred years than any other people in the earth's history. This is crap.

Our earliest ancestors, when they left Africa for the Middle East and Europe, did more. They started our civilization. They were the ones with the "faith of the heart". Why aren't they shown?

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1) Because nobody's interested in watching 30 minutes of opening credits over and over and over again

2) Because early human history is about as exciting as watching paint dry*

3) Because we haven't exactly got any archived footage of Columbus et all lying around

* This, for the record, is *not* the opinion of me, myself, and I.

The submarine, by the way, is called Deep Flight.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've got to remember that they had to do keep a couple things in mind while making this opening:

1) They've got, like, 30 seconds to show this stuff.

2) It's basically an Anglo-American audience they're targeting. I'm more distressed by the fact that noone on the ship has anything other than an American or British accent.

3) People are stupid. They had to pick stuff that stood a fair chance of being recognizable to most people. Space Shuttle... duh... Astronauts... duh... oooh... space ship... cool!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BTW who is that Astronaught they focus on for a comparitively 'long' time? He sort of tilts his head.

As for 'early' stuff they could have maybe shown Chinese with gunpowder!?!

Maybe they could have had the credits as looking throught the Guardian of Forever! [Smile]

They didn't have the Voyager space-probes - Voyager 2 especially! I feel Voyager 2 was more important than Pathfinder.

--------------------

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR.:
BTW who is that Astronaught they focus on for a comparitively 'long' time? He sort of tilts his head.

Alan Shepard. First American in space. Apollo 14 commander. Only Mercury astronaut to walk on the moon.

For my money, they could replace the spacewalk over the shuttle with a shot of Aleksei Leonov, the first man to walk in space back in 65.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Yup, thanks - I know who Alan Shepard is - didn't know his face.

He doesn't look like Scott Glenn (from "The Right Stuff") ;o)

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What a coincidence - was just looking at "The Neutral Zone"'s page on the Challenger Class:

U.S.S. Kearsage: "Named for the American aircraft carrier that served as the recovery vessel for Alan shepard's Freedom Seven Mercury spacecraft."

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps