Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Opening Credits Observation (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Opening Credits Observation
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I'm more distressed by the fact that noone on the ship has anything other than an American or British accent

What's Hoshi? [Wink]
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't really say she has an accent. There are alot of people from Oriental families who have lived in the US for generations. If she had a more distinctly Asian accent, it would go farther in promoting this united Earth idea, to me. Apparently, though, United Earth means everyone is now Anglo-American. They do try to throw in some un-American sounding names though... Hoshi Sato... the crewman who got beamed up with rocks inside him had a weird name.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't know that the sub was real. I was laboring under the impression that it was a bit of custom CG. Neat!
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well she's a linguistic expert, so shes probably good at not speaking with an accent. they still havent revealed if she's native or not..

yeah, Novakovich.. oddly enough, that didnt seem like a token foreign name use, its a name they keep reusing. it was one of Wesley's professors, and a chess move too i recall, in TNG

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They do try to throw in some un-American sounding names though...
That's exactly my main point of criticism. A "true" inhabitant of Earth must be American. But even more idiotically, a "true" American, according to Enterprise, must have British or Irish ancestors and thus, a British or Irish name. But have a look at present-day American phone books. Although many immigrants have changed their names to adopt, "un-American" names are becoming increasingly predominant. The makers *ignore* a diversity that exists already today and can only become stronger in the next 200 years.

In this light, I don't want single foreign characters as a courtesy, but I am damn right to expect a fair share of them (especially since they would cost nothing).

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want an Australian character - ok we had Nella Darren. She is an Australian actress. [Big Grin]

OK we have a boomer on the show - born in space. What about a Martian!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Umm, the sub IS "custom CGI". It just happens to be drawn in the image of the Deep Flight II experimental submarine, AFAIK as yet unbuilt. I seriously doubt the CGI comes from the people who are working with Deep Flight II, really. It's more likely the ENT team made it up based on an image they saw in Scientific American or whatever (hopefully after asking for permission).

And I didn't know Deep Flight II had military connections. From what I hear, it's more of a private venture, intended to demonstrate a single-piece ceramic pressure vessel (plus canopy) that has RF links instead of wires for controlling the engines, ballast etc. and for relaying power. That is, no lead-throughs whatsoever. A single-man agile "underwater aircraft" hopefully capable of going as deep as it gets!

A Deep Flight I already exists, a shallow-water toy that tests the "aircraft" concept but not the ceramic pressure vessel. Links to be added when I find them.

Timo Saloniemi

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's an American show. What do you expect? Even if they *had* a greater diversity on there, they would still be speaking with American/English accents on the show. So what's the problem, their lack of diverse names?

It irritates me that people so easily accept obvious fantasy like the gravity generators or inertial dampeners or whatever BS they come up with to explain the Enterprise set not moving around as they zip around, and not the obvious fantasy of an all American crew. Especially when both are part of making a show in a California warehouse meant to get ratings and ad money from American audiences.

Instead of complaining about how *they* do it, why don't you make your own show? You've obviously got the talent and the brains for it. Going to your website easily shows you've got the berserk dedication needed. Seriously. Go do your own thing, get rich, and forget about how a bunch of spoiled Californians do their show.

Sorak
Member # 874

- posted      Profile for Sorak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But for some reason, this evening I was looking at some of the patterns that were on the screen while the credits were rolling. And I *think* that some of the patterns were actually writing -- Arabic.
Writing? Where? I looked all over the screen and I didn't see anything...

quote:
Maybe they could have had the credits as looking throught the Guardian of Forever!
That would be a really neat twist! Write Paramount!

Why don't those turkeys think of this stuff on their own? There must be a creativity shortage what with all these people watching mindless science fiction TV... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Petty Officer 1st Class Sorak
Chief Tactical Officer
USS Gemini NCC-74680
Task Force 44
Task Group 3
Bravo Fleet

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Free ThoughtCrime America:
It's an American show. What do you expect? Even if they *had* a greater diversity on there, they would still be speaking with American/English accents on the show. So what's the problem, their lack of diverse names?

It irritates me that people so easily accept obvious fantasy like the gravity generators or inertial dampeners or whatever BS they come up with to explain the Enterprise set not moving around as they zip around, and not the obvious fantasy of an all American crew. Especially when both are part of making a show in a California warehouse meant to get ratings and ad money from American audiences.

Except, y'know, Star Trek in general doesn't do this.

TOS:
One African.
One Russian, with accent.
If we push for Kyle, one Englishman (with accent).
One Scot (with accent)

And Shatner has a Canadian accent too.

TNG:
One Frenchman (with blatently English accent).

And Troi had an English accent too (although it's not her real accent).

DS9:

One Indian-Brit with English accent and proper cockney dad.
One Irishman who said "bollocks".

VOY:

One Native American.

This is obviously ignoring African Americans, and Asian-Americans (although I can't actually remember where Kim was born at the moment).

So, not an everwhelming number of non-yanks, but still more than Enterprise has managed (if Hoshi does turn out to be American).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be fair, Enterprise's 2 (potentially 3) Americans out of 5 humans isn't as high as Voyager's 3 (potentially 4) out of 4. Hoshi and Harry being the potentiallies.

(And, yeah, I'm discounting Mayweather, The Doctor and Seven, who are all borderline American and/or borderline human)

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tsk. I forgot about Malcolm.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
Member # 709

just because Malcolm is a lame characterless yes-man is no reason to call him 'borderline human'

oh wait maybe it is.

Warbadden Hawkins
Member # 905

- posted      Profile for Warbadden Hawkins     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HEY, anyone know what type /name of the ship in the opening credits shown just before the Enterprise goes the warp?

--------------------
Captain Hawkins
USS Delphronta

BTW [,.??,;,"",' the, it, outran.]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One Indian-Brit with English accent and proper cockney dad.
You call that accent "proper cockney?" You sure you're not actually Australian like Frank suspects?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps