Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Opening Credits Observation (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Opening Credits Observation
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No... It's just a ship in the credits, presumably an earlier Starfleet ship than the NX class.

The ship has a saucer and nacelles. With the work that went into it... I'm of the opinion that it will show up in the show at some point.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

TOS:
One African.
One Russian, with accent.
If we push for Kyle, one Englishman (with accent).
One Scot (with accent)

And Shatner has a Canadian accent too.

TNG:
One Frenchman (with blatently English accent).

I just have to say did anyone realise Nella Darren had an Australian accent? No? Cause they didn't cast an Australian who didn't sound like Steve Fucking Irwin. B5 had a NUMBER of these sorts of characters... including the woeful "Cap'n Jack". They weren't Australian accents - they were American trying to sound "Australian" but ending up just sound like some wierd Cockney accent! [Smile]

quote:

And Troi had an English accent too (although it's not her real accent).

What is WITH her accent though - Season 1 was wierd - It kinda did make her more 'exotic'. I hate it in FC --> It doesn't sound like "Troi" from TNG. It's funny - she sounds more like TNG TV Troi in those few VOY episodes than she did in the movies (well 8 and 9).

quote:

DS9:

One Indian-Brit with English accent and proper cockney dad.
One Irishman who said "bollocks".

Funny thing about DS9 - no "WHITE AMERICAN" in the main cast. Sisko and Son - black Americans, Bashir - Sudanese (isn't that his background? Siddig's that is). O'Brien - Irish. Kira - Bajoran, Dax - Trill, Quark - Ferengi. Worf - Klingon

TOS: Kirk, McCoy, Chapel, Rand
TNG: Riker, Crusher, Wesley, (Barclay)
DS9:
VOY: Janeway, Paris, (Samantha Wildman)

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The actor, perhaps, but Bashir the character is British.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the character of Bashir is British (of some variant thereof, i cant recall if they ever nailed down where he grew up.. perhaps one of the colonial British empire type places).. but he is definitely supposed to be of non-caucasian ancestry.. the name 'Bashir' is of middle eastern origin, and the actors selected to play his parents seemed to play off that. Richard and Amsha Bashir were played by Brian George, an Israeli born Canadian (he was Babu on Seinfeld), and Fadwa el Guindi, a Californian Arab-American activist, who has been interviewed about playing the part of a traditional 'Arab mother'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It irritates me that people so easily accept obvious fantasy like the gravity generators or inertial dampeners or whatever BS they come up with to explain the Enterprise set not moving around as they zip around, and not the obvious fantasy of an all American crew. Especially when both are part of making a show in a California warehouse meant to get ratings and ad money from American audiences.
Okay. If it is all only for ratings and selling commercials anyway, we should re-consider what we are supposed to be doing here. Perhaps no technical analysis, no continuity issues, just try to figure out how Berman could gather even more members of the target group. Sex, shooting, swearing, stars & stripes...

It irritates me that fans are rather concerned about ratings than about the direction the show is taking. Those people in Hollywood all hate Germany. One gets used to it. Those people may think they are on a lucky island just as George Bush and the likes who give a damn about what happens in the rest of the world. I can only say that America must finally wake up and acknowledge that there are people in the rest of the world too - people who have traditions, history, desires, human rights. In Star Trek as well as with more serious issues.

"It's been a long road..." will always sound hypocritical as long as they even fail to see how present-day Earth is. And how could those people provide a vision for the future (oh well, of a bright future in which the rest of the world was nuked)?

Of course, we in Europe could do our own thing (and I'm not only talking of a sci-fi series), but wouldn't that mean making the same mistake as all the Bushes and Bermans?

Once again: We are one world, but it's obvious that, whenever Archer uses the word "human", he actually means "American". Sure, alien ships *always* land in the USA instead in the uncivilized world. But be honest to yourself, is there any reason why about 80% of all human Trek characters have Anglo-Irish names, even if they don't talk? Of all American tv series (even those set in present-day USA), Star Trek (since Voyager) carries the obsession with everything American to unprecedented and simply ludicrous extremes.

I'm not complaining about the realism in the show but about the attitude of the producers (so there is simply no comparison to any technical issues).

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those people in Hollywood all hate Germany.
Uh, sure they do.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Originally posted by CAPTAIN MIKE:

"the character of Bashir is British (of some variant thereof, i cant recall if they ever nailed down where he grew up.."

His father never had a set job so they grew up all over the place didn't they?

"perhaps one of the colonial British empire type places).. but he is definitely supposed to be of non-caucasian ancestry.. the name 'Bashir' is of middle eastern origin, and the actors selected to play his parents seemed to play off that. Richard and Amsha Bashir were played by Brian George, an Israeli born Canadian (he was Babu on Seinfeld), and Fadwa el Guindi, a Californian Arab-American activist, who has been interviewed about playing the part of a traditional 'Arab mother'"

I remember reading somewhere - the Encyc? The Star Trek Magazine? That It was near impossible to find a female actor of Arabic descent to portray Bashir's mother as Women aren't or don't often act or appear on camera or something!?!

Fadwa el Guindi wasn't actually an actress i.e. through a casting agent etc., but agreed to play the part of Amsha.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, shes actually an anthropologist. she was an understudy to a community play or something, and ended up getting a call since a casting agent saw her performance. she's done a few interviews on how she appreciated getting to bring an Arab female character on TV.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Herbet Wolffe once said that he was English, and was born somewhere in London. I can't quite remember where.

And even if they didn't say he was British, it was fairly obviously the intention, from his accent, his pint and pub attitude in Quark's, to his dad who Did Do A Reasonable Cockney Accent So Ignore Lee Because He Is Grumpy, and so forth...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well I guess it makes sense, there IS a large Indian, Pakastani, Iranian etc. etc. population in England isn't there? A result of families moving after the British Colonies were disbanded?

--------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Robert Herbet Wolffe once said that he was English, and was born somewhere in London. I can't quite remember where.

Knightsbridge.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Herbert?
capped
Member # 709

Herbert, the stiff man puttin' my mind in jail, the judge bangs the gavel and says no bail?
Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Those people in Hollywood all hate Germany.
Might have something to do with the fact that many of the high-ranking people in Hollywood are Jews. They can't really be blamed though, for not liking Germans, although perhaps "hate" is too strong a word.
And after all, it's not just people in Hollywood. Watch films from around the world (ok, so most of them do come from Hollywood). Where do the Baddies come from normally? Germany, Russia, the Arab world.
If the bad guy is really from America, then it's normally some disgruntled military officer (� la "The Rock", "Broken Arrow"...)

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Jesus, get a grip.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps