Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The xindi super weapon? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The xindi super weapon?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
Its apparent function is to smash planets to rubble and then digest the debris for fuel. It is, therefore, self-sustaining
as long as there are planetary bodies for it to feed on.

Projecting back on our star charts, we find that it came from outside, from another galaxy.

That's what makes me think Spock had a little too much LDS (ha!). How can it come from outside the galaxy if it needs planetary bodies to feed on? What's it going to feed on in the MASSIVE void between galaxies?

Besides, the "projecting back using the destroyed systems as a route planner" thing seems awfully tetchy too. They're saying the thing didn't change course? And they're basing that on, what, 3 solar systems?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as far as the movement through intergalactic space is concerned, the thing could have some kind of "coast" mode where it aims itself at a galaxy and then goes into hibernation until it floats there on inertia.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spock didn't specify how far outside the galaxy it originated. Maybe its builders just wanted a really isolated testing ground.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Triton:
I seriously doubt that the Doomsday Machine is the Xindi super weapon. It has been revealed by Future Guy that the Xindi are interested in destroying the Earth so that people from Earth do not annihilate their race in the future. The Doomsday Machine on the other hand destroys all planets, stars, space bodies, and starships in its path to break them down for fuel. The pieces are swallowed by the large maw and then digested.

Sounds like the Lexx [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Well, as far as the movement through intergalactic space is concerned, the thing could have some kind of "coast" mode where it aims itself at a galaxy and then goes into hibernation until it floats there on inertia.

It could do that inside the galaxy too.

I am more inclined to go with Simon's theory (which I think is the theory used by Peter David in "Vendetta"). It might have been built just outside our galaxy, but in another completely? And then for it to decide to float over here? Madness.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it didn't "just decide" to float over here. Maybe it wiped out its entire home galaxy.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

That means it was almost certainly from Andromeda, or had past through Andromeda on the way from it's original galaxy. Which may or may not tie in to "By Any Other Name" (if that's the one with the Andromeda aliens, one of which Scotty gets drunk).

But still, no-one in the entire galaxy thought to fly something down it's extremely big mouth? That means Kirk is more intelligent than an entire galaxy. That is worrying.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the nearest galaxy to our is only a few tens of thousands of light-years away. Even closer maybe, at the nearest points. So the thing wouldn't have had to go too far between galaxies, really.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I dunno. You can't "coast" at warp, so it would have had to have been sublight speeds. Or a wormhole, but they don't seem to connect to other galaxies. That's pretty long journey.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in a rare moment of sensibility, Peter David postulated that, since it was extremely unlikely that anything could coast from another galaxy while depending on planetary fuel, the Planetkiller must've originated outside our galaxy and drifted out, then been reawakened and flown back in.

of course, it being a giant crystal designed to fight the Borg that could fly faster than the infinite value warp 10 is also there, but not relevant to the issue

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*first post from my new office.. whoo hoo!*

I always rather liked the idea that the Planet killer was an anti-Borg weapon.

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe somthing like the Caretaker sucked it over here. Or maybe it was a plaything invented by Q.

Hmmm...

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I am more inclined to go with Simon's theory (which I think is the theory used by Peter David in "Vendetta").

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike20X6:
in a rare moment of sensibility, Peter David postulated that, since it was extremely unlikely that anything could coast from another galaxy while depending on planetary fuel, the Planetkiller must've originated outside our galaxy and drifted out, then been reawakened and flown back in.

-7000 points for being slow.

--------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And to be fair, it didn't go faster than warp 10. It almost but not quite got there, getting infinitly closer while time stretched out to infinity.

It made for an interesting final couple of pages. And certainly made more crazy-made-up-science sense than "Hey, I've got a sudden compulsion to spit my tongue out!"

And the caretaker didn't take stuff from other galaxies. At least, that impression wasn't given, and every single crazy super wormhole type thing in Trek has always been confined to our galaxy, (the only exception I can think of is "Where No One Has Gone Before).

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on how we define "galaxy," the device could have been deployed from a globular cluster.
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps