Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » The xindi super weapon? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The xindi super weapon?
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the Trek galaxy has clearly defined, purple-glowing boundaries, "outside" could very well be a relatively nearby and precise location... A planet happening to lie on the wrong side of the purple curtain would definitely be "outside", even if just a few hundred ly distant.

OTOH, Spock's labeling of everything strange as "extragalactic in origin" is very much in character with what else we know of Vulcan science (mainly from ENT). The Vulcans assume they a) know a lot and b) know exactly what they don't know yet, so c) everything else is unreal and not to be studied. And even most of the things in the b) category would have to lie outside the area explored by Vulcans, since surely they can't have missed anything that was in there...

Timo Saloniemi

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brings whole new questions to the forefront as to why Vulcans would join a group of Humans out to "seek new life forms and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man/one has gone before."

Vulcans are the must conflicted species in Trek I think. No wonder they have such a thing as the Bendii Syndrome.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that wasn't the Federation's mandate, it was Starfleet's mandate, and the Vulcans apparently weren't all that eager to join Starfleet.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Pwesty
Member # 1035

- posted      Profile for Pwesty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I was just wondering if anybody knows what ever happened to the model of the Doomsday Machine it self? Was it throen out with the trash when they were done with it.
Just wondering and thanks ;-)

Capt.Blair245
Member # 1113

- posted      Profile for Capt.Blair245     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I read something about that and apparently they threw it out I think. I would, it's just paper meshe (sorry if it's spelled wrong)

--------------------
Graffiti decorations/under a sky of dust/a constant wave of tension/on top of broken trust/the lessons that you taught me/I learned were never true
Now I find myself in question,
Guilty by association,

djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Meche is how you spell it, I think. It really didn't look like much anyway. You could make one at home.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
M�ch�.
djewell
Member # 1111

- posted      Profile for djewell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ahhh.

--------------------
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind."

-Einstein

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Papier.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fatier.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's no reason the Doomsday Machine couldn't have come from from another galaxy. If it had a method of sublight propulsion capable of propelling it at even 1/10th light speed, if it left a galaxy like Andromeda it would "only" take 22 million years to reach us, unpowered. Peanuts on compared even to the age of our solar system. And, if it knew where it was going, it could shut itself off and set its snooze alarm to wake it upon reaching our shores.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. But, well, why? I can't see any logical reason why it should have originated from outside our galaxy, especially considering that Spock's reasoning is dodgy at best.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Maybe. But, well, why? I can't see any logical reason why it should have originated from outside our galaxy, especially considering that Spock's reasoning is dodgy at best.

Possibly, but we don't know where those destroyed star systems were. If the farthest out ones were above the galactic plane and the thing was going in a relatively straight line, down into the plane, then Spock's conclusion would be "logical", especially if there were other yummy star systems just off its course that it ignored.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yeah, but that would require either:

a/ The Enterprise to have sensors that were able to detect the status of solar systems all the way to the galactic edge, or

b/ Starfleet to have already noticed that there was a string of destroyed systems going from the galactic edge all the way to the relatively small area of the Alpha Quadrant that the Enterprise was in, and for them to have not done anything about it.

--------------------

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Yeah, but that would require either:

a/ The Enterprise to have sensors that were able to detect the status of solar systems all the way to the galactic edge, or

b/ Starfleet to have already noticed that there was a string of destroyed systems going from the galactic edge all the way to the relatively small area of the Alpha Quadrant that the Enterprise was in, and for them to have not done anything about it.

Then again, the galactic plane out in our neck of space is only 3000 light years thick...it's possible the Enterprise and Constellation were UP or DOWN there near the edge of that.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps