Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » -= $$ North $tar $$ =- (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: -= $$ North $tar $$ =-
Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I think that Troi just rocked in Fistful of Datas. [Smile]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahhh...season seven: home to only ONE really good episode (AGT, of course).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was almost essentially a reset episode too... I mean half the new stuff was from the future side of the episode so it didn't stick in the present. However, in a bit of saving grace it was a nice end to "Encounter at Farpoint" so it being a reset episode was forgivable [a rare occassion].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beverly Crusher - Hot. Deanna Troi - Not so much.

Wow, but that was an OK Western. Archer didn't bug me almost the whole time. When he punched that deputy, it wasn't a tactical decision. He was just pissed that he got his receding hairline punched earlier. That's like a human reaction. Hooray for him as a real character. Then they totally violated the non-existent Prime Directive without making a whole big continuity-bursting ordeal over it. Glenn Morshower was great as the Sheriff. Reed's "shoot-the-hostage" tactics were great, and though I'd kind of expected more from the Star Fleet Troopers, we did get to see them being a little useful. I'm impressed that they rationalized the speciesism of the humans by making them the descendents of human slaves. Good stuff, and interesting.

Alas, T'Pol was still characteristically totally not Vulcan at all. I'm at a loss for why Trip was even there. And that transport seemed to come together awfully fast. But I did think it was a good Ep. Well shot too.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He was just pissed that he got his receding hairline punched earlier.
WAHAHAH.. You guys are killing me laughing here!!
LMAO!!

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would have liked to have seen T'Pol upset, or in the least Reed apologetic for shooting her.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a tactical decision, and I'm T'Pol will agree, quite logical. Besides, she likes the attention the guys give her [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just watched the ep, and it occurs to me that this would have been a good use for Mayweather; after all, assuming he is of African-American origin, at the same time as these people's ancestors were made slaves his ancestors might have been slaves. OK, a bit of an obvious parallel, but it could have been interesting if done right.

It was never established when these people were abducted, was it? At the end Bethany says the Wright brothers' flight took place forty years after, and the presence of Colt Peacemakers (and Winchester repeaters?) puts it at post-Civil War. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
More like mid-American Civil War. Early 1860s.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it was forty years? The "three centuries" comment earlier had me thinking 1850s, and I remember that the bit about the Wrights made me decide that it was after the Civil War, but I can't remember the exact number now.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Before people could travel through space to other planets, they had to get off the ground first. Almost forty years after my ancestors left earth, two brothers from Ohio became the first human beings to build a successful flying machine. Their names were Orville and Wilbur Wright. . ."

So, if we take "almost forty years" as more than thirty-five, say, about thirty-eight years, that would mean 1865. When were the two cowboy weapons first introduced? Both in 1873 according to these pages:

http://www.civil-defence.org/english/history/peacemaker.html
http://huntingsociety.org/HistWinch.html

Of course, the whole idea doesn't really make sense anyway. Why would these slaves be allowed to keep their guns? Unless they were confiscated and reclaimed just before, during or after the revolt. Then you have to ask, would all the originals still be working, or would some enterprising blacksmith have made copies? In which case Trip's copy wouldn't have passed inspection by that stablehand; or maybe there are loads of different bootleg Peacemakers available on the planet.

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What if the 'almost 40 years' was AFTER they got there, not counting travel time, which might have been in statis.

The new planet certainly doesn't have the same length years and days as Earth. 40 local years might have only been been 30 Earth years.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Lee
Member # 393

No, adding in stasis and/or travel time just adds to the forty years, since she's quite specific that the time period refers to when they left Earth, which had to be after 1873.

And, I guess she could be referring to local years, since although they now know what the date is meant to be in Earth years, the fact they're stuck on. . . whatever the planet was called. . . for quite some time to come means they might continue to use the local year as their calendar.

So a local year would be three-quarters the length of a Solar year, which means the planet would be closer to the sun, right? Planet looked quite dry. . . A local year of approx 275 days is longer than Venus's year (225 days), but then the local sun might not be as powerful as Sol.

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A planet orbitting a higher-gravity star, would orbit faster, even in Earth's orbit.

Now that I think about it, 19th century settlers wouldn't know about the length of the year, outside of a calender that they brought with them. More likely, they would get thrown off by shorter days. A 20 hour day wouldn't feel that differnt to them, but would make each year, um, a couple months shorter?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Lee
Member # 393

Maybe. . .

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps