Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » -= $$ North $tar $$ =- (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: -= $$ North $tar $$ =-
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there anything to say that there may not have been two waves of abductions, and she was referring to the 1860s batch, while the weapons were brought along with the 1870s batch?
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably their history is wrong and their ansestors were abducted later that they think.
It's not like slaves would be given big incentives to explore thrir history: y'know, when they were free and all.
As to the pea-shooters, it's possible taht some of the original abductees were blacksmiths and forged the guns in hope of rebelling one day.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This, by the way, was a gorgeous shot. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the single most obvious area in which special effects have improved since, oh, Voyager, is in rendering planets. Sure, the CG ships are nice, but the planets tend to be, as pointed out, really spectacular. I think my favorite was, uh, in the episode about the prison ship hijacking. "Canamar."
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Alshrim Dax:
No one has reacted - and again - i am the first to post a reaction - and I look forward to some debate on this one.
But as it is always in Star Trekian tradition - only 3 character are prevelant..

TOS: Kirk, Spock and McCoy.
TNG: Picard, Data, Riker (w/ honorable mention to LaForge)
DS9: Sisko, Dax, Odo (w/ honorable mention to Kira)
Voy: Janeway, 7of9 and 7of9 (w/ honorable mention to 7of9 and Janeway)

Hey come now - The TNG movies may be all Picard and Data - but the series was DEFINATELY not like that. You can't say that about DS9 EITHER - DS9 is the antithesis of your... idea about 'big 3's'.

Sisko sometimes wasn't even a major player. I mean one could say someone like Garak had a bigger arc than Sisko.

And if you want to go big three's for Voyager than it is definately Janeway, 7 of 9 and the DOCTOR of course. Chuckles, Tuvok, Kes and Neelix were nearly forgotten the next lot of episodes would have probably gone to Tom Paris and B'Lanna.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
TNG: Picard, Data, Riker (w/ honorable mention to LaForge)
Hold on here. The big three with TNG was Picard, Data, and WORF. LaForge was the most neglected member of the ensemble cast.

As for DS9, in episodes which focused on the ensemble, I think Sisko usually dominated. But DS9 had MANY MANY MANY episodes where only a handful of the cast was features and other characters had very minor roles - I remember several episodes where Sisko has only one line, and appears (briefly) in one scene. I think DS9 was much better about giving everyone (including the secondary cast members: Martok, Garak, Nog, Rom, Wynn, Dukat, Damar, Weyoun, the Female Founder, etc.) a good deal of the spotlight. In some cases, the spotlight given to secondary cast members outshown primary cast members. I mean, look at Nog's "arc" in the later two seasons - he was getting better stuff than Jake was!

PS - Andrew, in regards to Sisko v Garak, I don't think you could argue Garak had a bigger arc. After all, for Garak it was essentially "former card-carrying member of Cardassians for a Paranoid Secretive Big Brother Government returns home after helping ensure the destruction of the Cardassia he loved", and for Sisko it was "becomes a god." [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That leaves us with TOS and Kirk, Spock and McCoy. Actually, Shatner, Nimoy and Kelley were the only ones credited in the intro, so it really was all about them. "The Cage" would've probably focused on Pike, Dr. Boyce and Number One, although I have the funny feeling it might have given more time to secondary characters like Yeoman Colt and the 'Martian' Spock.

ENT also clearly focuses on Archer, T'Pol and Tucker. Close fourth is Reed, but other than that, not an awful lot of development yet for everyone from Hoshi to Shran. And I won't even mention poor old Travis.
And I really really like Phlox. A wonderfully alien alien, without being a completely annoying Neelix.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that of all te series, TOS has the least character development and DS9 the most.
All the TOS characters remain static untill STII (and Chekov, Scotty and Uhura even after that).
Heck, the cast of DS9 is RADICALY diffrent by season seven: even O'Brien (and he was intresting back on TNG).

Phlox is now my second favorite doctor (Bashier being the Fav).
Billingsly is just amazing and conveys a kind of serenity to Phlox that doesnt smack of arrogance.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though, to be fair, by the end of DS9 certain characters were either amalgamated or more or less forgotten. You hardly ever got an O'Brien story, but instead an O'Brien/Bashir story, for instance. And Jake...well, Jake who?

Not that I'm complaining about the former case. Friendships are neat, and usually lacking in Star Trek, I think. Sure, Spock and Kirk were friends, but not really, you know, buddies, not till the movies.

And here is a huge off-topic digression, for which I apologize in advance: It always bothered me that Kirk and McCoy had this warm friendship with no origin ever given. I mean, he'd been in command of the Enterprise for maybe as much as a year before McCoy came aboard. Did they know each other prior to that? Nobody knows. With Spock, it's sort of vaguely implied that they didn't meet until their Enterprise assignments, but Kirk meeting McCoy is just sort of out in the abyss somewhere. And no, I'm not particular interested in a novel about it, though I am sure there are many with just that plot, and I may have even read some.

Though, to bring things slightly closer to the topic, I'm kind of fuzzy on the Archer/Trip friendship too. I guess it may have come up in that episode about the early warp test that I happened to miss.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

That episide (the warp test one) is where the two met but there'd be a couple of years (minimum) between that ep and the launch of the NX-01.
Lots of time for backstory.

I noticed that Data and Geordi became pals in an unnaturaly short span:
BINGO: season two starts and they're unseperable.

Mabye Travis just needs to pair up with Hoshi so they can both get a little screen time.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that Data and Geordi became pals in an unnaturaly short span: BINGO: season two starts and they're unseperable.

Well, they did spend a year sitting at those forward consoles together, apparently on the same shift, and Picard seemingly had no problem with them talking about things not related to work. That's hardly a small amount of time.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think also out of the other 'senior staff' - LaForge was probably the one who best 'got' Data - the others were still getting to know Data - and Picard had a different relationship with him altogether - being a mentor to Data on humanity.

And as Data mentioned in "Data's Day" - Counsellor Troi was sort of an enigma to him.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And they obviously hung out a lot anyway. Hell, most of the serior staff (bar Picard, to an extent) seemed to spend most of their off duty time together. Which does make some sense, considering how closely they lived. It'd be like a university halls of residence, or holiday camp, except everyone has mobiles. Or something.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These days, everyone has mobiles anyway. I wonder if they ever had Toga Parties in Ten-Forward. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Cell phones are SO 1999. Now togas, those have been around forever. B)
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps