Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Federation task force in DS9 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Federation task force in DS9
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UIRW, it's from DS9's TM.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Toadkiller
Member # 425

- posted      Profile for Toadkiller     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not only is the Commbadge class the largest in the starflot they also have quadroquantum torpedo phasers.

They are:
1124343 long
3345 wide
and go warp 9.99999999999999999994

T"ds"K
I think I'll lie down now, just until the feeling passes....

------------------
TK

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh no, don't encourage Ultra!!! IT WILL NEVER EEEEND!!!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, they are...
1124393 long
3340 wide
and go warp 9.9999999999999999999999998

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

[This message has been edited by Ritten (edited February 01, 2001).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, speaking of constitution-refits, how about this pic from Pedro�s: http://www.shiporama.org/images/fleet/fleet1.jpg

That "whiter" ship in the upper left, what is that?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say a Steamrunner. The primary hull is a spade instead of a saucer, and the secondary hull seems to be as far aft as it can go. In a Connie, it would be farther forward, so close to the primary hull that you couldn't see a gap between the hulls even if the neck part was painted pitch black.

It could be a kitbash, too, considering it's so far away that the VFXers need not have bothered with making it look good.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you don't mean the really upper-left obvious Excelsior, but the white ship below and to the right of it? Akira or Steamrunner.

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a Steamrunner class.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
D'you know what else you notice in that pic? GALAXY WINGS! Yes! You see a Galaxy-class starship, with two Excelsiors, two Mirandas, and at least a couple other ships forming up around each of them. Best of all, it's in a 'wing' like formation! Galaxy WING!

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought of something. Everyone remembers the line "Galaxy wings 9 and 12" (I forget the exact numbers), that Sisko said in "Sacrafice of Angels". Well, what if he meant the USS GALAXY? The Galaxy would serve as mothership, and have multiple "wings" under her, which would be comprised of multiple types of starships. Sort of like how aircraft carrier "fleets" are called by the name of the aircraft carrier, and then they have multiple subordinate ships under them.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you can do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it matter if it's THE Galaxy or just A Galaxy?

Anyway, I think this image or one quite like it was in "Favor The Bold," and was probably reproduced in the tech manual.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference is most people believe that Galaxy Wings 9 and 12 or whatever means that there were 12 Galaxies in the battle. If they meant USS Galaxy, then it's less then that.

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you can do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I figured that it was Galaxy Class lead wings.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm, I remember it to be "Have Galaxy wings 9-1 and 9-3 engage those destroyers!".

I will check tomorrow, when I have the time...

I'll also check which fleets were there. With the 9-1 and 9-3 numbers you'd may expect it to be part of the 9th fleet, if the numbers are correct that is...

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actual dialogue:

Sisko: "Ensign, have Galaxy Wings nine-one and nine-three engage those destroyers. All other ships..."

Anyone ever wonder that it was wierd that Sisko seemed to command huge fleets from the MIDDLE OF BATTLE in the tiny little Defiant? Believe it or not, the explanation ties into the Galaxy wing thing.

My belief is that the fleet of 600 was divided into several large attack forces, and Sisko commanded one from the Defiant. If Sisko commanded, say, the ninth attack force, he may have had three "Galaxy wings" in his charge. At the beginning of the battle, he ordered two of his big-guns ships and their entourages to engage the Cardassians, while the rest of his forces made for the opening. The rest of the fleet would have been under the command of some Admiral or other Captain(s) and engaged the Dominion fleet while Sisko's group made the big push.

Sisko commanded only his group in the battle-proper, thus rationalizing why he was flying and fighting at the same time. Ditto would go for the other times he's engaged in fleet-level battles. Only in the last episode did this theory ring true, when it seemed that Admiral Ross had command of the Federation fleet.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can build two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps