Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Excelsior and Enterprise-B shuttle bays? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Excelsior and Enterprise-B shuttle bays?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the tail-section would be favorable, as the lower cavity is unable to fire on an enemy diving on the ship from behind.
Of course, the same could be said for the Voyager's aft launchers not covering the lower axis...
Another "of course", this wouldn't be a problem if the fighting ships, with 200000 kilometers between them, would actually be DEPICTED with that distance between them.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've got the AMT model of the Ent-B and the ventral aft cavity seems to be filled with some sort of sensor equipment stuff on that one.
(Although I know that this might not be the most accurate model around, it's still something to think about.)

Hey great, I finally found a way to upload my files: go to this link: http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/excels026.jpg

The model is supposed to be the studio model built for Flashback. Here it looks like cargo bay doors, the ST.TMP type IIRC.

------------------
RIMMER [as Ace]: "Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas."

[This message has been edited by Austin Powers (edited February 08, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Austin Powers (edited February 08, 2001).]

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/lakota19.jpg
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/lakota20.jpg
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/lakota24.jpg

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.3dworlds.org

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This, of course, begs the question what is that thing in there?

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another ship they were carrying? Some sort of module? Or a super-big-mondo-tractor beam? But, uh, what are the two "doors" above that?

------------------
"No, 3 & 6 are mandatory, so you only have to do them if you want"

Alex, fellow classmate, trying to explain an assignment (2/2/01)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a side note: Mr. Vorlon, sir? When is your site back online again?

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any pics of the tail?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone going to post the really big version of that schematic of the E-B? I want to make it my windows background.

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My site won't be back until at least April, school is keeping me too busy to ressurect it from its forced demise... But it will be back, someday.

BIG VERSION.... 800K!
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/1701b-MSD.jpg

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.3dworlds.org

Nim
Member # 205

*breaks out the champagne*
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that saves me having to do it. 8)

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of the Lakota's open bay, could that thing down there be part of a new weapons system? Remember, O'Brien made the comment in "Paradise Lost" (I believe that was the Lakota's episode) that the phaser systems had been upgraded. Could that thing be some sort of phased power amplifier? Or something similar?

------------------
Nic: She's not a practicing lesbian. We need PRACTICING lesbians!
Me: I have a camcorder.
Nic: But no lesbians.
Me: Ahhh... no.
Nic: DAMN IT MAN! WE NEED LESBIANS! LOTS AND LOTS OF LESBIANS!

ICQ Conversation From January 23, 2001.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AFAIK, it's part and parcel of every Excelsior out there (with the possible exception of the ST3 prototype, whose ventral cavity we never saw - but by ST6, that very same ship *had* acquired the thingamabob). Even the DS9 CGI ships have a piece of machinery like this in the cavity.

I guess it's something that requires regular swapping, or then en-route space access. Perhaps a system for sowing mines or comm relays. Or a big dropship for planetary assault ops. Or a portable spacedock for deep space repairs - a scaffolding that unfolds to encase the ship and facilitate spacesuited repairs by giving the workers a foothold.

Timo Saloniemi

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say it's a fantastic waste of space. About three or four decks worth in my estimation. I agree with the idea that it's some sort of portable starship repair scaffold, but not a large ship. It seems to be directly attached to the roof of that open bay, with those bracing spars running down the sides of it. And what about that hole?

And if that isn't the shuttlebay, where is it? The fantail looks too small and doesn't have evidence of the traditional control room looking aft. The Generations Sketch Book thingy specifically says that the added sections to the primary hull are impulse units. So where do they keep their shuttles?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm one of those annoying people who will cling to certain beliefs that make mre sense than what finally shows up onscreen (witness the enemies I'm making over in the Wolf 359 thread). I can't accept that the saucer additions are impulse engines. There are three already on the saucer, and the two new ones' exhaust would blast straight into the Bussard ramscoops. Maybe it's intentional. I call it bad designwork if those ARE impulse engines. Besides, when I used an E-B saucer for my Centaur conversion, I realized that in that case, they'd make even MORE sense as shuttlebays, and painted them accordingly, with the red light for illumination (better for one's night vision than the blue floods of the Miranda family). *shrug* but this is Star Trek we're talking about. Who really cares if it makes sense, right?

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps