Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Excelsior and Enterprise-B shuttle bays? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Excelsior and Enterprise-B shuttle bays?
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THREE? Whoa, am I missing something? Where's the third one? Is it stuck between the more visible two directly aft? And I thought I knew about the Excelsior.
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S. The only reason it's kinda hard to believe that the additions to the priamry hull are shuttlebays is that neither are marked with the traditional "1" "2" of the period. And how would the doors open? Would they roll right up into the upper hull superstructure? Also, the ... whatever they are ... are illuminated from the inside out, not from external lighting like on the Mirandas. Take a look at some of the shots in the Generations Sketch Book if you have it.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes it is between the other two, and I know all the problems with those boxes being shuttlebays, but I'm a contrary bastard at times, and this is one of those times. On my model, I've added the '1' and '2' markings, and all is right in the world. ;-)

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't buy the "third exhaust port set between & father in from the noticeable two" theory. It's illogical & just plain stupid.

As for the extra impulse decks/shuttlebays....I've made them shuttlebays on my Juno-class destroyers...but who's to say that on some ships they're impulse decks and on others extra shuttlebays? Variance is a constant in Starfleet.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a very revealing scene from Generations. I am unable to scan the image-I don't have a scanner.

When we see the USS Enterprise B from the observation deck of the construction facility, we see a workbee with cargo leaving the neck. The opening on the neck is toward the rear. It is square in shape.

When I saw this scene, I was reminded of a similiar scene in the first movie. In the first Enterprise hangar deck, a workbee with cargo is seen flying over the hangar deck floor.

Linking these two scenes together, I would say that the shuttlebays of an Excelsior Class starship are in the neck. They are protected and invisible from sight. Invisible that is until a shuttlecraft or workbee leaves the neck.

Can someone get a picture of the scene I mentioned from Generations so that all members can discuss this detail of the Excelsior Class? Thank you.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you mean this scene? http://www.8ung.at/fitz/sonstiges/e-b_workbee.jpg

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is no way in hell the added impulse-engines are bays. Sorry.
As for blocked impulse paths, check the Enterprise dreadnought from "AGT", you'll find an interesting thing in front of the third nacelle as well.

I guess they try to leave the impulse engines unobscured most of the time, like with the Prometheus, good job there , but sometimes they don't. In any case, give it up, man.

Hmm, that giant Excelsior-MSD indicates FOUR forward torpedo-bays, pointing out those square doors we see the workbee coming out of...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited February 11, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps