Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Intrepid-class Deck Plans (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Intrepid-class Deck Plans
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The registry of this ship, seen in the samples, is 74655. Is this to represent another ship in the Intrepid Class, or is this a mistake, substituting one number for another?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Registry Number:
Since I am trying to do the Intrepid-class, and since it was constructed before Voyager, I subtracted one number. There is no canon registry number for Intrepid, and it seems to follow in the footsteps of giants to dyslex an existing number.

Regarding Black Knight's comment:
Thank you.
When I was a teenager (oh yeah - I'm an old original fan!), I remember the release of the Franz Josef (FJ) plans and Tech Manual. The level of detail at that time was riveting. However, as time progressed, I assumed that these products would as well. The Galaxy Plans were an TREMENDOUS disappointment. I believe the artist's professed reason for the lack of detail was that his computer could not handle it all, and so he was forced to utilize small scraps of printed paper - oriented by hand.
When I created the Ent-A blueprints some 10 years ago (to which Starbuck so graciously referred), I had no problem achieving a greater level of detail and line precision/shading - with an old PowerMac (Although I have since gone over to the Dark Side (P3)).
So in a way, these Intrepid deck plans are an attempt to push the envelope as far as possible with today's software/hardware capabilities. When I saw the Defiant deck plans in the back of the DS9 Manual, I fell in love with the colors (even though the plans were as confusing as heck).

Has anyone found an updated listing of compartments?

By the way, I read in one of these BBS that my old work is listed on eBay. I really wouldn't know - I've never checked out eBay, nor do I understand how it works. Should I give someone a call? I've got BOXES of those things left...

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you get these Intrepid plans finished, I'll voulnteer to do the cover for you for a printed set of them!! (assuming you want me to, I guess)

They look like they're turning out really nice. I guess I'm going on the assumtion that you plan to have these printed up. It sounds like that's what you did with the E-A plans.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited February 16, 2001).]

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problems with printing them are:

1) Paramount has a dog-in-the-manger policy
[yes, your homemade product is better than ours (or we don't even have one), but HOW DARE YOU] And they will track you down. They spend far more money and effort on this than on writing scripts. And believe me, in my youth I did try to get them to publish my Ent-A plans (which you will note they still haven't competed with). Fortunately, I did it under a pseudonym. The Lawyer-rant letter I received would curl your hair.

2) Printing requires money.

3) Getting one of the established mail-order houses to print and sell the plans is somewhat precautious. I had an arrangement with some companies once, but I don't even know if any of them are still around (except the ones which are associated with Paramount).

Treknophyle
Member # 509

To: Black Knight:

Could you please refer to my posting on page 10 of the Wolf 359 section. I would welcome your input.

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really haven't had enough time to read through all that. Could you summarize what you would like me to do?
Either here or in e-mail

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What deck plans have you done, if I could ask?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited February 18, 2001).]

Long Tom
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to say how pleased I am to hear that you're working on these Intrepid Plans. Firstly, because the Intrepid's about my favourite Trek ship, and secondly, because I loved the Enterprise A Plans you did previously. I'll certainly be coming back to these boards to see how you're getting on . Judging from the sample pictures, you're doing a fantastic job.

Long Tom

IP: Logged
Treknophyle
Member # 509

Black Knight (and anyone else interested):
Posted February 15, 2001 01:31 PM from 209.53.166.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Do we have any experienced 3d modelers in the group? Most of the vessel types involved in the Battle of Wolf 359 appear to be established types - with a few "kitbashes" included in the mix. So...

After downloading the official ones, and 3d cut-&-pasting a few more (which would allow a role for the nit-pickers who know what model pieces were utilized), it would it be possible to reconstruct the junkyard, using as many different parallax-views as possible. By rotating the POV, the 3d modeller could make sure that the layout does not conflict with the known screenshots. Then, by placing/rotating the 3d models, we could slowly eliminate the unknowns - or at least identify same AS unknowns.

This project (once cleaned-up and rendered) would probably be of value to Mr. Okuda (who might use it in his book) - and it would be a fan-generated piece of research which could serve as a pay-back for his many contributions and patience. For an insight into the rabid fanaticism of techo-fans, he could include the text of this 9 page discussion.

It would also allow fans to see the junkyard from several POV's - the only way to actually visualize a 3d space properly (although I would certainly love to have the finished 3d file for viewing).

Given proper assistance (X/Y/Z coordinates, Pitch/Rool/Yaw values, scale, etc), this could be done fairly easily.

And an animated rotating movie file of same would be so fine!"

Black Knight: Since you list 3d modelling as a skill, I thought of you as a senior collaborator on this project. Comment?

Greg Smith
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a proud owner of your Enterprise-A plans. I am looking forward to seeing your Intrepid plans.

If you have surplus copies of the E-A plans, try offering them on www.trekrpg.net I know at least one person on there who is despaerate to get hold of them and there are other deckplan junkies on there.

------------------
Greg

"Calm my work for Locutus of Borg, here. But I'm freaked and intend to stay that way."

IP: Logged
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Treknophyte: I bought both "Starfleet Dynamics" and your Enterprise blueprints. They were both very hard to get a hold of.

I just searched for Star Trek blueprints at ebay. No one is selling copies of yours. There were 52 items for sale, mostly Franz Joseph TOS sets, Ent-D sets, and Jackill's stuff. I suggest you try putting one of your sets up for sale and see what kind of response you get. The danger, of course, is that Paramount might find you. ebay is pretty neat; last year I bought a set of Star Trek Maps and the TOS Medical book.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does Jackill get away with doing his stuff then? Is he liscensed by Paramount?

You could always get them done through a discount printer. You know, Bob's Discount Printing. It may not be the best quality (a step up from color photocopies) but it'll be cheaper and it'll be harder for them to track you down (presumably). How did they find you last time?

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Treknophyle
Member # 509

They didn't actually find me. On the advice of friends, I mailed a standard offer to product product/request for license. Lawyer Spam ensued.

Regarding the Intrepid deck plans, yes, I have thought of printing them in color at a local printer. Unfortunately, since they are multi-colored, I would have to either pay to have them printed in process CMYK (21st century technobabble), or I would have to convert them to Grayscale (no way). The plans consist of 4 posters, 24x36 inches. As soon as I get someone to handle the quality-control/proofing, I will decide what to do.

Meanwhile, I am going to dig up my old (circa 1990) deck plans for the Excelsior. I will be converting them to PDF and posting them. As soon as I can get access to a Zip drive...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Oh, and regarding Jackill... (I talked to him several years ago - is he still a going concern?):

As I understand it, his books are fairly low-key as far as Paramount's watchdogs are concerned. No large distribution, no "Star Trek" in the title (of course), and all black & white except for the covers. If I was to produce the poster set I've got, in process color, I would have to produce (and sell) thousands just to break even. Since I'd like to make a profit, I would probably sell even more. This would create a large "profile" which would be noticed by Paramount.

I also came up with a companion piece to the current Tech Manuals, more oriented to the Strategy & Tactics of Starfleet. Same restrictions apply, so it may never see the light of day either. When I can download same from archives, I will post a few pages for review.

------------------

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Aban Rune:

"I have the Sovvie cut away poster, but I don't know where you're going to find any deck info on the Prommie."

Would there be a listing of the compartments (hopefully deck-by-deck)? Even if not, could you compile & post same? This would be a good check to see if I'm missing any compartments.

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps