Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Fleet Charts (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Fleet Charts
Balapoel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had these on my HD for a while, and thought I'd share. I've constructed several "SF recognition charts" based on official (FF or ST:Mag) schematics for the most part. Some of the alien ship sizes are based on Bernd's fleet charts, the rest are based (as well as can be) on screen evidence. I'm sure there will be many differing opinions. For downloading purposes, the images are reduced 75%. If you guys are interested, I could post more detailed versions. If there are any schematics that I've missed, let me know.

Ben
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/aliens1.jpg http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/aliens2.jpg http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Federation.jpg http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/sides.jpg

------------------
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?
-A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archives.

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Very nice.

GOD-DAMN THOSE ROMULAN WARBIRDS ARE BIG!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know!

Damn, Galaxy class are like a tiny little ant compare to some of the alien ships!

------------------
What is the difference between a terriorist and your girlfriend?
- With terrorist, there is a chance of negotiation.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's incredible really, how you can spot a ship from its silhuette. The Defiant took a while, but it's over the holoship.

Wow, you sure got every ship on that last chart. All kinds of kitbashes and such. Thorough...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice. I like. Time for me to revise the old Interstellar fleet chart I think. Update it with new ships.

Anyone know of good schematics sites that are still open?

Let me plonk in a link to my chart, as it may be relevant for the purposes of stirring the pot

http://solareclipse.net/fmmp/Interstellar2.jpg

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are THREE sizes of Birds-of-Prey?!

I knew about the B'rel class (first seen in Trek III), and the K'vort (seen in TNG), but where the hell did that really small one come from? What is going on here? ARGH!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice.

I left out a few ships from my charts because I had only rough drawings or because the size was uncertain. Maybe with some more schematics from the Fact Files and some new size calculations we will soon be able to have a chart with really *all* ships of Star Trek.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daryus: *looks at chart-date* Well, just in time for a nice annual update, eh!

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! That's quite a treat!

Some things I don't agree with: Saber should be way bigger, and Freedom way smaller. Contact me for further details.

I never realized the freighter from "Babel" was that huge. Quite a contrast to see it reused as Neelix's tiny shuttle...

Is the smaller McQuarrie really that "twisted" in side profile? I agree with the size estimate, definitely.

It was heart-warming to see the TAS freighters again.

IMHO, there should be two sizes of the Cardassian freighter: one in the given size for the Cardassians, one about twice as large for the Klingons as in "Sons and Daughters" (Martok's big/midsize BoP was tiny compared with those behemoths). The Klingon ones had those wing-mounted engine thingies and probably also different bow shapes, so one needn't necessarily invoke the scaling paradox.

Timo Saloniemi

Balapoel
Ex-Member

Jeff, Nimrod, Daryus, Bernd, and Timo: Thanks, it sure took awhile, but whenever I get new schematics, I make sure I also have a resize based on a standard.

Jeff: I think there is only 1 size of BOP (re: scaling problems). I prefer to think of the 'kvort' as a subtle ploy by the Klingons to confuse Federation sensors. The 110 m length is good for me.

Bernd: I was thinking of posting a list of all the FF and ST:Mag schematics I have acquired (and that's quite a lot) to the forum. This way, we can all compare notes and perhaps share. I've got things like the Benthan ship fore and aft (but no other views), and Office complex (only top view), etc. This way, we'll all have access to better schems.

Timo: I'm pretty satisfied with the Freedom on 2 points. (1) Its saucer is similar/identical in dimension (L/W) with several other classes: New Orleans, Niagara, Cheyenne, etc. This makes sense when you think of what the Modelers used in BoBW. I agree with you that the Saber has some difficulties. I prefer to think of it as a smaller ship. The schematics I've seen for the Klingon freighter are identical to the Cardassian freighter. Do you have other schems for this ship?

Again, thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Ben

------------------
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?

Balapoel
Ex-Member

Oops, forgot point #2 about the Freedom. (2) The nacelle length is correct for the Galaxy class nacelle (which matches the size of the saucer when compared to the other BOBW classes).

Oh, and Timo, I posted a topic to this forum a couple of days ago "Wolf 359 schematics" which nobody followed up on where I talk about the 'twisted' McQuarrie ship. I've had to base my schems on those sketches, which are badly distorted. I'm looking for better ones. I scaled the ship based on a 'constitution' sized (L/W) saucer.

Ben

------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ben,

One thing that I noticed was the small nacelle pair on the saucer of the Nebula Melbourne. I realize that you're using the shipschematics.com diagram for the silhouette, but the small nacelles are actually on a pylon that sticks far out behind the saucer, not directly above the saucer as pictured on your diagram. Maybe you can fiddle around with the silhouette. Other than that, great chart!

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Klingon BoP confusion: The thrid size presumably comes from the fact that Martok's Rotarran was supposedly of a size somewhere between the B'Rel and the K'Vort.

------------------
"I am slightly disturbed that a news station in the US would use the phrase 'to the max'. What's next? CNN saying 'Totally righteous murders?' BBC News 'Dude, like people were wasted yesterday'. The Times reporting 'Iraq bombed! For Great Justice!'?"
-Liam Kavanagh, 22.Feb.2001

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited February 26, 2001).]

Balapoel
Ex-Member

Mark: Yeah, you're right, I used the silhouette from the schematics.com site. I'm happy with the side view that was done for our Wolf 359 article, but I'm not sure I agree with the top view. I believe it had another galaxy secondary hull coming out of the first... yech. I might try to do a top view based on the fragmented model that was used in BOBW. Good eye.

Hopefully we can use the "_____ had sensor-confusing technology used to mask the true size (and nature) of the vessel." Insert: klingons, Federation, new species from Workforce, the aliens from the Delta quadrant who used the Peregrine class modification, etc. into the ____. We know the Federation used it... it explains the intrepid/consitution/danube fiasco.

Ben

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as the BoP thing goes, I have no problem with three sizes. I got used to that long ago in the FASA RPG. The small scout they got from the Romulans. And two bigger ships they developed from that template. I've built a "cleaned-up" (love that term!) model of a K'Vort starting from the Generations BoP. Fixed horizontal wings, no landing capacity, several decks of windows, full-on weapons batteries in the (re-angled) wingtips, and two forward torpedo tubes flanking the main gangway.

I think it works best if the D-12 is the small scout and the B'Rel is the midsized beastie. That brings the VFX errors within a more acceptable margin...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps