Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Fleet Charts (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Fleet Charts
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk about the Attack of the Shadow Fleet.

------------------
"Sack me!? I MADE the BBC!!"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Klingon/Cardassian freighters: all I can offer in the way of imagery is a shot from PinA'SoV's site: http://w1.314.telia.com/~u31412332/new/klingship.htm

Scroll down to see that the BoP wingspan barely matches that of the freighter. In contrast, "Return to Grace" apparently showed the 36-man BoP to be more than half the length of the Cardassian freighter. The wing-mounted thingamabobs are visible here, but the bow shape is difficult to discern. It somehow seems more bulky than the Cardassian two-prong to me.

And if the Freedom nacelle wasn't the Galaxy one, but rather the one seen mounted atop those early Nebulas, then the ship would scale down to something with a Constitution-sized saucer; that is, a modernized Saladin/Hermes design. That would fit with the neck structure, too. The saucertop bridge assembly wouldn't be two decks high, then, but just one. But we haven't seen any good close-ups to confirm the Fact Files bridge configuration yet, whereas we have found out that the Niagara FF schematics were erroneous - so I don't want to argue against myself on such flimsy evidence.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few notes:

BoP: The same as always http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/bop-size.htm
Plus my guess that the Rotarran was scaled to 137m to match a 170m Defiant.

The ship from Babel (Jaheel):
The ship can be seen docked to DS9 and it looks a bit larger than the usual Bajoran freighter, Wadi ship or the various "Antares" class vessels.

Freedom:
From what can be seen on the FF diagrams and on screen in BoBW, the ship seems to have a bridge (deck 1) plus a raised deck 2, probably with a shuttlebay. This is only possible if the ship is quite large, and this would match with the Galaxy nacelle. I don't trust in the accuracy of the FF diagram concerning the windows in the neck. They are not visible on screen anyway. The only way to make the ship overall smaller (it could have New Orleans nacelles in this case) would be if the decks 1 and 2 are sticking out much more than it appears.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad the Firebrand was the only model that we didn't get some kind of accompanying photo besides just the FF diagram.

------------------
Lisa: "Don't you remember the story of Oedipus?"
Homer: "Maybe five dollars will refresh my memory."
Lisa (angrily): "Oedipus was the story of a man who kills his father and marries his mother!"
Homer: "Uggh! Who pays for that wedding?"

Shabren's Final Prophecy: Star Trek: Legacy

Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off,Very Nice!!!!!!!
Second whats the ship directly above the Saratoga with 4 nacelles.

Balapoel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Akula: The ship above the Saratoga is the ship shown in Data's computer screen in "conspiracy". It is the FASA "orion wanderer" but it has an obvious Federation form. It has 2 nacelles only. The ship below the Saratoga is the 4-nacelled Excelsior study model. We have on screen evidence of it in BOBW and Unification and 2 pics of the model from Mike Okuda.

I agree with Bernd in general about the BOP and Freedom. The model makers for BOBW used 2 different sizes of Enterprise-D parts. Thus we have:

New Orleans: small saucer with small nacelles (with extensions)
Niagara: small saucer with large nacelles
Freedom: small saucer with large nacelle
Challenger: small saucer with small nacelles
(plus the Cheyenne and Springfield with small saucers and marker nacelles).

All in all, the Freedom really isn't so big. Remember when we thought it was a full-sized galaxy saucer with 1 nacelle. That would be both big and ugly.

In general, my philosophy is based on pragmatics. What did the writers and producers want to show us? Obviously gaffes like the NCC-1305-E and the Prometheus NX-59k were problems. I generally go with the most consistent result. Otherwise, we're making a lot out of a little. The one big problem I see is scaling. Obviously they don't want to show the Defiant as 120 m next to DS9. They also scaled up the Rotarran to match the Defiant. In the writers/producer's minds "it doesn't matter". steps off soap box...

------------------
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?
-A Guide to Trial and Error in Government, Bene Gesserit Archives.

IP: Logged
Balapoel
Ex-Member

Oh, I forgot to say, all 4 images are scaled to each other. So if you wanted to grab all the Wolf 359 ships or compare the Dominion vs. Federation fleets you can just cut and paste them into a new document.

Ben

------------------
Bureaucracy destroys initiative. There is little that bureaucrats hate more than innovation, especially innovation that produces better results than the old routines. Improvements always make those at the top of the heap look inept. Who enjoys appearing inept?

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only way that could be cooler is if they were labled somehow so that the many ships whose identity I just can't determine were known to me.

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Balapoel
Ex-Member

I'll see what I can do. What is more pressing, the Federation odds and ends or the alien ships?

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balapoel: The Challenger has a small Galaxy saucer with large Galaxy engines, from what we can see...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Balapoel
Ex-Member

You're right, and I have it sketched with the larger nacelles. I just wish we had a clearer look at the model.

I have posted the updated Federation chart with my new top view and Bernd's side view of the Nebula variant.
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/Federation2.jpg

It'll take me a while to put the names in. I might have to cut up the views a little (maybe 3 charts for the aliens and 2 for the federation).

Ben

------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why do you assume the Orion Wanderer is a Federation-designed craft? The TOS Bird of Prey also had cylindrical tapering nacelles with rounded red endcaps. If Cochrane thought of it, other races could copy it. After two centuries, the Orions could no doubt make their own derivative design...

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the orion the one to the right of the Yeager?

When were the orions portrayed? Haven't seen it...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Orion ship is the one to the right of the Constitution-refit in the lower part of the picture. It was only glimpsed as a schematic in those early TNG computer screen data dumps ("Conspiracy", at least, but possibly also "The Last Outpost" and "The Naked Now").

Timo Saloniemi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the two to the right of the Yeager and the one between the Sovereign and Constellation are TAS ships.

------------------
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
"Wowsers!"
-Star Trek: Series ?: "A Pair o' Docs, part II"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps