Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nebula-Class Starships are UGLY! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Nebula-Class Starships are UGLY!
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they are. They're lacking a certain sleekness posessed by many other Federation starships ... even the Miranda-Class has more of a sleek feeling (but that may be because it doesn't have a bulky secondary-hull slung underneath -- call me crazy).

I mean, they look kinda cool and all -- I'm staring at my Micro Machine model right now -- but there's a certain lack of style and grace possessed by this ship.

I remember writing a pilot episode for Star Trek: Valor once, which was based on this Star Trek Club I was in waaaaaay back in early high school, and boy did I have a lot of misconceptions about that ship -- for one, I liked the Class a lot more than I do now. For another, I decided it could seperate sections too. Wouldn't that be ugly?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be ugly, yes.

They design may be compact, but is very impractical at some points:
- The nacelles block part of the firing range of the phaser on the bottom of the saucer.
- The newer triangular pod strut blocks the saucer shuttlebay.
- What do they do with deck numbers with different pods?

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they can't make 'm esthetically pleasing to everyone, ya know

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm simply saying that the Nebula-Class is particularly ugly to me. That is all. These are not the droids you are looking for. Move along.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your mind tricks will not work on me, young Jeff.

Anyway, we all have our personal preferences, I can think of a lot uglier designs than the Nebula (*cough* Oberth *cough*).

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your Jedi-mind trick will.....Oooops wrong forum...

Cough..Norway..cough, to quote the above post almost correctly :-)

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that almost everyone agrees on the Norway being ugly. That's most probably why it was never seen again after 'First Contact'.

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Going by that reasoning, Altair, why are you still around?

------------------
"Sack me!? I MADE the BBC!!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

I think the Oberth-Class is pretty cool, actually. I like that sensor pod slung underneath.

Question: are the only areas accessible on the Oberth-Class in that circular area up front? I know the pod is un-accessible (well, except for repairs maybe), but can crewmembers get into that section of the hull between the nacelles?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why should the pod be unaccessable? Didn't someone post a size comparison thingy of the ship showing that there was, in fact, just barely enough room in the connecting struts to fit a small turbolift?

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and I'm sure the Sovereign and Prometheus are just the most beautiful ships in Star Trek... :-P

Sorry, I have a certain affinity for the Nebula-Class, that's all. If you think of the sheer mass and size of the ship, it does have a sleekness to it...and elegance.

In fact, the Galaxy, Nebula, and Excelsior-Class ships all have a nice majestic feel to them. The "new" designs just seem too flashy and too focused on looking like a bullet. Connies and Miranda's arn't that bad either...

------------------
Ace

"Objects in mirror are closer than they appear."

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited March 05, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited March 05, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Frankly, I think the refit-Constitution-Class is the most GORGEOUS ship I've ever seen.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course! I'd say that any ship that doesn't have the "Star Wars"-it's cool because it looks like a pencil-feel to it looks nice. Why does everyone like the Prometheus? It's a flying cone!

Anyway, the Nebula doesn't have that many impracticalities. The shuttles still have plenty of room to fly though before they hit the pod support, and the secondary hull ventral phaser arrays cover the areas the large saucer one can't get.

I guess in the end, we're comparing trucks to sport cars...ugly sport cars.

------------------
Ace

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see why the Norway gets a bad press. It's not like you can ever see it properly - in fact, what views we do get of it look quite interesting, with its delta-wing shape. Unfortunately, all we have to go by are some poorly-done orthographic views, and I'd like to point out that the other three FC ships don't look to hot in those either. The Steamrunner's upper view completely belies its sleek lines (look at it in "TCFoE" if you don't believe me), and the Akira looks downright ugly from the side. And the Sabre's side view is actually wrong in differentiating the nacelle from the secondary hull.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Evolved
Member # 389

Not to mention the guy who designed them had no idea of Trek tech. Fifteen torpedo tubes...uh, yeahhhhh...

------------------
Ace

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps