Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » why do borg have many types of cubes?searching for trek reason (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: why do borg have many types of cubes?searching for trek reason
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course the "real" reason is change in Fx budget but

theres the one at wolf 359 which on screen is different than the one in First Contact-which is different than Voyager's Cgi ones

what about these cubes when compared to the tact class 4 cube?
http://members4.clubphoto.com/harry314334/Feb_22_2001_3/photo7.jpg

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited March 08, 2001).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why they have so few.
Borg technology is the most modifiable and adaptable we've seen, they should be able to build hundreds of types of cubes that are the best at doing exactly what their purpose demands.

Besides, since borg cubes often are built by spare parts from "confiscated" ships and adapted to the mainframe, no two cubes are alike, even if the dimensions are the same.

So what do we have?

TNG "Q Who" - Original Cube.

TNG "Best Of Both Worlds" - About the same.

TNG "I, Borg" - Small Borg scout carrying ?15?

TNG "Descent" - Renegade Borg vessel, super-assymetrical, heavily armed. Later suggested as megabomb-casing in VOY's "Scorpion".

TNG "First Contact" - High tech cube with less round pipes and green lights here and there. Also outfitted with sphere inside.

VOY "Scorpion" - Multiple cubes resembling the new design established in FC.

VOY "One" Sphere, feels bigger than the one in "FC", since that one was destroyed by three quantum-torpedoes. This one needed a collapsing star to rip it up.

VOY "Dark Frontier" - Borg sentry-ship, fairly small, weak armament.

VOY "Dark Frontier" - Assimilation surveyor, also called "diamond".

$$$$$
$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$
$$$$$$$$$$$$

VOY "Unimatrix Zero" - Borg tactical cube. over-medium cube with strategic battle-armor and several torpedo launchers. My absolute favourite.

That's all I can think of.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

DARKSTAR
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
REASONS
The cube in "Ultramatrix Zero" is a standard Borg cube which has been given more armour due to the Borg learning from their War with Species 8472. The Cube in BOBW may be a older cube as it does look a bit more primitive. The Cube in FC are the same as Voyager's as they used the same CGI image.

IP: Logged
Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheF0rce: What's a "tact class 4 cube"? Something made up in "Armada" or the last cube I described?

By the by, no picture you've posted has come up in my browser. Not this one and not the norway-class in the "Nebula"-thread.

DARKSTAR: Did the queen really talk about borg ship designs in "UNImatrix zero, part II" or are you just guessing that the tactical cube sprung from their contact with 8472?

And I think the tactical cube is smaller than the FC-cube. Compare with Voyager flying by, you'll get a scaling difference.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 07, 2001).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No there was nothing in the dialogue that hinted at the cube's origin, and yeas the Tactical Cube is smaller than a regular cube judging by the scale to Voyager.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, especially using ship-to-ship scenes is a flawless way to scale objects. That's exactly why the Defiant is 120 meters.

I still have my own theory regarding the Borg ship in "Decent". I believe it was the cube that came for Hugh, and due to Hugh's individuality it corrupted the drones inside it. In order to stop it from spreading the cube was disconnected from the rest of the collective. It's appearance is a direct result of the choas of Borg controlling it, as oppose to the orderly shape of a regular cube.

------------------
Flare: Where sarcasm is just one more service we offer.
Federation Starship Datalink: Brand new look, fresh minty scent, same great taste!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The right tool for the right job.

(I should really get that page of mine up and running.)

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

dih1138
Ex-Member

A non fictional reason would be:
Even though the general art direction is consistant,
Specific episode and movie art direction varies according to plot elements and the mood of the story.
And of course improved, lower cost CGs. That reason above all others is responsible.

------------------
-dih1138

[This message has been edited by dih1138 (edited March 07, 2001).]

dih1138
Ex-Member

A better question, why are the Borg so reliant on hand-to-hand combat to subdue their enimies? Why not beams or something else?

------------------
-dih1138

dih1138
Ex-Member

A better question, why are the Borg so reliant on hand-to-hand combat to subdue their enimies? Why not beams or something else?

------------------
-dih1138

dih1138
Ex-Member

------------------
-dih1138

Nim
Member # 205

WHAT THE HELL IS THE MATTER WITH THIS THREAD??? Every time I go to THIS thread I have to wait for like twenty seconds, no other thread takes that time to load!!!

The Nebula-thread does it too, does this have to do with you, TheF0rce? Do you have some fumky HTML code wrapped in your sig or picture-links or something??? Weird shit...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the tact class 4 cube was said on screen by 7 of 9
and i hate to say this---according to star trek.com the tact cube is (get this)larger than the normal cubes!
i can't really buy that.
(sorry about the pic-i can't find a better server since geocities quit on me)
i'll edit it to have a link.

and the cube in first contact were different than the ones later seen in voyager---i studied both up close so i can do the textures for armada.

anyway-to summarize so every cube minus the tact one is different---each looks different because it uses different spare parts but then again why did 7 of 9 recognized the class 4 tact cube instantly onscreen--meaning the borg most likely do have an assembly line produsing a line of same type and class cubes.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

is it better now nimrod?
it may be where the pic is---some servers i found seem to hate people in europe connecting to them to view the pics i have there.

were you actually able to see the pic btw?

Nim
Member # 205

For the record, I don't think they give a rats ass if three drones get whacked. After that, all drones on the ship will be immune. And they don't risk harming potential drones, although they probably could reverse the damage in minutes, and they probably don't need drones all the time...

A real reason for unarmed drones would simply be that no one would stand a chance. You beam into a cube, fire two shots, thirty shots fire back... Armed and immortal drones?
That's like Voyager getting an isokinetic cannon, for fucks sake!! Or target-seeking torpedoes! Genuine "to-good-to-be-true" events...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps