Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » why do borg have many types of cubes?searching for trek reason (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: why do borg have many types of cubes?searching for trek reason
dih1138
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
voyager does have target seeking torpedoes.

------------------
-dih1138

IP: Logged
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much better thank you. I tried looking at them but it only keeps loading at members4.clubphoto, then a "There was no response, yaddah yaddah yaddah" sign comes...

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1138: I know, just within a very limited target radius. It's almost like the modern "sidewinder" or "Sparrow" short and medium range missiles, you have to be pretty much dead on or it'll miss, the guidance systems are pretty delicate...

The only three times good homing has been utilized in Trek (in my experience, mind you) was in "The Undiscovered Country" where a gas-sniffing little bugger tracked up Chang, some target practice on small asteroids courtesy of Worf testing new torpedoes in TNG, and the heavily modified borg torpedoes in "Scorpion, Pt II".

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

dih1138
Ex-Member

In "Yesterday's Enterprise" a (full) spread of torpedos was fired at three ships hitting all of them. In "Way of the Warrior" Deep Space 9 fires alot of torpedos many find their targets. In "First Contact" all of the torpedos fired (except those intentionally misguided by Data)in the movie hit their targets. In "Generations" an old Bird of Prey, which has presumably less sophisticated weapons systems can target with great accuracy.

------------------
-dih1138

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
damm club photo crap!
is there a good [free] server people recommend anywhere?
that like allow linking pics to be viewed by people in europe?

any way torpedos can tract a target pretty successfully
the klingon torpedos tracked the excelsior at warp in that voyager episold

the ones fired by Ds9 were not a good example-since so many whizzed by their targets-you can only assume they must be coming back eventualy in an arc..

but enough about torpedos LOL

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited March 07, 2001).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"eurpope"?

I knew that Guy had plans for world domination!

------------------
"I WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK."

-Darkstar

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hasta lavista eurpope
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The F0rce: It's not that the servers don't like European surfers, it's that a lot of people don't have ultra-high-speed connections. Large images take a long time to load.

------------------
"Lately I've noticed that everyone seems to trust me. It's really quite unnerving. I'm still trying to get used to it."
- Garak, "Empok Nor"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think every torp has a homing device on it however ships could dodge the torps if fast enough.

Now for the orginal topic, it fits the Borg to have so many specilized ships to not waste resources by sending in a Bord Cube to destroy a shuttle. The Tac. type 4 was probably built to combat some unknown alien race.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

Nim
Member # 205

Or simply anyone putting up a good fight. Remember, Voyager chose the cube, not the other way around.

dih1138: Are you not listening? All the incidents you mentioned had the attacker already lined up with the target before shooting. I'm talking about the torpedo's ability to chase a target. And I have only seen three examples.

What quality were those pics you posted, anyway, F0rce? 1280x1024 at 32bpp or what?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 07, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to stick my nose in:

The Borg cube in First Contact was a physical model, not CGI. It was 3-foot square, if I recall correctly (which isn't very large, especially when compared with the Enterprise-E model).

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

TheF0rce
Member # 533

the pic was 800x600
i'll have to stick it onto a tripod server later

tripod server any good? http://harry_finch.tripod.com/photo7.jpg

[This message has been edited by TheF0rce (edited March 07, 2001).]

dih1138
Ex-Member

Lined up? Targets move thats why torpedos home.
Even if a ship were exactly lined up with a torpedo tube, it would only be that way for an instant. You mentioned Star Trek torpedos being like modern sparrows & sidewinders, I disagree, the torpedos that we are talking about are more like Harpoon or Tomahawk SSMs (very primitive by Star Trek standards...)

------------------
-dih1138

Nim
Member # 205

You don't give up, huh?

I meant lined up as in facing the opponent, I didn't mean "crosshairs". The Ent-D was facing the BoP's, the Ent-E was flying straight at the 3500m wide cube, hard to miss. The Defiant, however, often missed with it's quantum torpedoes, like the dual volley against a Galor, in "Defiant".

Jeez, I was being sarcastic about Trek-torps missing sometimes, you do NOT need to teach me that torpedos in fact have homing capabilities.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

dih1138
Ex-Member

Point taken.

------------------
-dih1138

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps