Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Excelsiors, Birds of Prey? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Excelsiors, Birds of Prey?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Hathaway was launched about the time of the events in ST II/III/IV. We have the Repulse at NCC-2544 fighting in the Dominion War. Take these factoids as fodder for discussion.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Vor'Cha or the Negh'Var were cheap to develop...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just BTW:
The Reliant's aft torpedo missed by a mile - it went well underneath the Enterprise.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, weren't we watching the tropedo on the Enterprise's viewscreen? How do you know it missed?

"I don't think that Starfleet would have retired the Enterprise as the Flagship after 15 years with no good reason."

Argh! Stupid Admiral Morrow! Damn his stupidness.

The Enterprise wasn't 15 years old. It was 35. 5 year's with April, 11 years with Pike, 5 year's with Kirk, 2 years refit, possible other 5 years with Kirk, THEN it became a training vessel.

And who said it was the flagship? I don't recall the original Enterprise ever being referred to as such. Or the A for that matter. I can see the Excelsior being the flagship.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Come on now! Any ship named Enterprise in Star Trek IS the flagship no matter how old she is. I meant 15 years from her refiting. If the E-nil was totally gutted out refitte and such then her operational lifetime would have been lengthened a bit. So even though the name Enterprise NCC-1701 is 35.5 years old in reality eith the refit she's really only 15 years old.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Kirk's ship be the flagship? GR said he wanted Kirk's ship to be "just another in a fleet": in other words, nothing special.

The only Enterprise that we know to be the flagship is the -D.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
And homeschooling also turns you into a socially well-adjusted person, capable of talking to people without them wanting to ram a f***ing chair down your throat! - PsyLiam, 3/11/01

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really haven't finished reading this post, so if you want you can yell at me, but I figure I would give my two cents on persistence of classes over long periods of time. In the fictional universe of trek I like to think of ships in the sense of sailing vessels rather than battleship. Crossing oceans in the twentieth century has become so routine that we no longer consider the adventure it must have been two or three hundred years ago. While the marine clock is to thank for much the normalization of oceanic travel, the perception of distance in trek seem closer to that of early sailing vessels. I guess what I am trying to say is that space is like a ocean that can never be entirely mapped, so the persistence of a few class that have proven exceptional over a period of a few hundred years is anything but difficult to believe. This also fall hand in hand with my belief that trek ships are designed for performance and efficiency rather than combat, and that the designation of such vessels is based on their range not combat readiness.

Lol

Runs for cover����.

------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the aft torp fired by the Reliant: There are actually two such torps, which might create confusion. Khan fires one at the Enterprise in the nebula, after Sulu fumbles with the phaser trigger and fires past Khan. Since sensors don't work, the torp is a clean miss.

But Khan also fires another in the first battle, as his final coup de grace shot before presenting Kirk with his ultimatum. This torp ALSO seems to be a clear miss, going below the Enterprise on the viewscreen image - but apparently it hits the ship nevertheless, since the Enterprise is rocked by the hit. Perhaps Khan only fired it as a warning shot, a proximity detonation to drive home the point that "You are shieldless and if I aim the next torp *directly* at you, you will all die, so don't get any ideas". That would explain why this torp left no visible damage to the Enterprise - it detonated at a safe distance.

This first torpedo shot might imply the torps were precision-guided, to explain why the apparent miss-trajectory still produced the effect Khan wanted - but if Khan actually wanted a miss, then precision guidance need not be implied. The shot is interesting in another respect as well: Kirk apparently thinks Sulu could shoot down the torp with phasers, although Sulu then says it's too late. It seems possible to me that at this point Kirk knew that if the torp really hit, the Enterprise would be completely vaporized, so he was ready to try desperation measures - but Khan just chose to frighten, not destroy.

Timo Saloniemi

P.S. My vote goes for the E-nil NOT being a Federation flagship at any point of her career, even though she is the only one of the Enterprises with a flag officer in command...

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never heard of phasers intercepting torpedoes, although maybe they should've a long time ago. But we really don't know from what point of the ship the main viewer is transmitting, so the torpedo could've hit the bottom or sides of the ship.
Or maybe just the underside of the saucer, if the sensor holding the video feed is placed at the front tip of the saucer.
If I was an FX-producer, I wouldn't trust the audience to grasp the intricate ways of Trek warfare, since many aren't interested in tech and tactics... I'd keep it simple.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the Enterprise-Nil ever have a flag officer in command? I thought Kirk was, essentially, demoted to Captain in TMP. Everyone referred to him as such once the ship was underway, and he wore Captain's stripes.

And Spock was properly in command in TWOK. He only let Kirk take over because he's nice, but tecnically, the ship was still Spock's. And in TSFS, Kirk was essentially babysitting the crippled ship while it limped home.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking of ST2 and ST3 when I said the ship had a flag officer in command. But admittedly that wasn't very formal or permanent command - if I included it, I'd probably also have to include Pressman in command of the E-D in "The Pegasus", too.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone remember "Errand of Mercy"? It probably wasn't the case, but it sure seemed like the Enterprise was in charge of the fleet there... And Lt. Sulu was in command.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Kahn did hit the E-nil then that damage wouldhave been siginificant. Remember ST6? Chang's torpedo blew a hole through the E-A's saucer.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

Nim
Member # 205

And what a P.O.S torpie that was! Not blowing up, I mean...

------------------

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's also keep in mind that Khan knew precicely where to fire his shots to disable the E-nil. He wasn't being nice...he was being ruthless.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps