Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Perfect fleet? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Perfect fleet?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All your ships are belong to us...

[duck]

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They use the same ships over because its been easier and cheaper to use both physical and CGI models than create new ones.

As for the leet, here were my ideas:
http://users2.cgiforme.com/trekpitch/messages/35.html

------------------
Recession repression regression
Shifts of scenery
And warning tremors of landslides
The sun comes down
The mountains move aside
Your kingdom slips out of your hands

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the powers that be are very cheap!!! Instead of seeing new starships or even CGI versions of the New Orleans or the USS Bradbury, the money goes to their million dollar homes and multiple cars and casual sex!!!

------------------
"Oh for fuck's sake, stop your moaning,
If you fancy a threesome at this time of night, you can't get start getting choosey about which particular three!
-Queer As Folk, UK

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the weekend trips to Singapore.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He mentioned the casual sex. I think it was implied.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<<<<Um, not exactly. The budgets are already set, so none of the money for the show goes to the producers.

New FX are still an expensive proposition, especially if there has to be a detailed close-up CGI model. It makes sense for even a high budgeted TV show ($1.7-1.9 million range) to save money anywhere they can. Sometimes its the sets that get nixed, and other times it means re-using refurbished/repainted/redesigned models that already exist.

BTW, since when does casual sex cost so much money? That's a new one to me..

RAMA

------------------
Recession repression regression
Shifts of scenery
And warning tremors of landslides
The sun comes down
The mountains move aside
Your kingdom slips out of your hands

RAMA
Member # 380

Hmm

[This message has been edited by RAMA (edited March 22, 2001).]

DeltaFlyer
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In reply to the idea of a perfect attack fleet (and attack patterns), here are my ideas. I would have a frontline of 10 galaxy class ships firing full spread torpedoes. When the "smoke clears," they will move out of firing range as small squadrons of Maquis fighters swarm in, targetting each individual ship. They will be protected by cover fire from Akira and Soverign class vessels. While all this is happening, the galaxy class ships will swoop around to the rear of the enemy target and attack from there. The "perfect fleet" will push all destroy all of the enemy targets, one by one, from the inside out.

------------------
Delta Flyer

IP: Logged
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's good if the other side doesn't fire torps either.

------------------
Signature for sale! For a mere price of $20 per letter you get this wonderful little space to say your own things. Get it now while there's still space!

-All you base belong to infinity. -infinity11

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give me a bird-of-prey and the ability to be invulnerable, and I'll be mucho-mucho happy!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael T: How does one burn money on 'casual sex'?
Do they run down to the bus stop and pay some stranger to get down on the ground right there?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited May 15, 2001).]

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of the ships I would like to have seen mix it up a bit.

2350s
Fleet 5

20) New Orleans - Frigate (Scouts)(Patrol)(Raider) (Minelayer)
60) Constellations - Medium Cruiser (Scouts)(Patrol)(Raider)(Transport)(Minelayer)
30) Challengers � Frigate (Patrol)(Reserve)(Transport)
20) Excelsior -Heavy Cruiser (Patrol) (Reserve)(Transport)
10) Ambassadors - Heavy Cruiser (Patrol) (Reserve)(Transport)
90) Miranda � Medium Cruiser (Patrol)(Reserve)(Transport)
25) Cheyenne � Medium Cruiser (Scouts)(Raider)(Transport) (Minelayer)
100) Peregrine � Assault ship/Fighters (Scouts)(Raider)(Transport) (Minelayer)
40) Constitutions � Medium Cruiser (Patrol)(Reserve)(Transport) (Minelayer)
10) Merced � Medium Cruiser (Patrol) (Reserve)(Transport)
10) Renaissance -Heavy Cruiser (Patrol) (Reserve)(Transport)

Assembled Task force

Command: Ships that typically would assume field command during a battle.
Main line: Main composition / Firepower of the fleet
Interference: Ships that run tactically interference hitting targets of opportunity.
Reserve&Rescue: ships that for the most part remain on hand to jump in at a moment notice, hit targets of opportunity, pickup survivors, and jump out.

General Roles

Cheyenne � command (Speed, endurance, ability to retire quickly)
Ambassador � command (fire power, endurance)
Excelsior �command (fire power, endurance)
New Orleans � command (fire power, endurance, survivability)
Renaissance -command (fire power, endurance)

Excelsior -Main line
Ambassador �Main line
New Orleans �Main line
Miranda �Main line
Merced �Main line
Renaissance �Main line

Peregrine �Interference
Cheyenne �Interference
Constellation �Interference
Miranda �Interference
New Orleans -Interference

Challenger -Reserve&Rescue
Constitution -Reserve&Rescue

------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerr??

------------------
"Boinky ensued, and a great time was had by all." --Book of Nigel, Chapter 4, verse 32

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nerr?

Did I miss something?

------------------
Access Password
47at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously.

When I was creating the background story for Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant, I came up with how I envision Starfleet as being organized.

Starfleet is commanded by a (Senior) Fleet Admiral. He is elected to this post from the Fleet Admiral ranks by the Federation Council for a period of four years.

There are six Fleet Admirals (aside for the CIC). Two work on the (Senior) Fleet Admiral's staff, while four each command an Armada.

There are four Armadas in Starfleet, each consisting of roughly ten thousand starships.

The Armada is divided into ten Fleets. Each Fleet is commanded by an Admiral, and contains about one thousand starships.

Each Fleet is divided into five Task Forces, which are commanded by a Vice-Admiral and consist of two-hundred and fifty starships.

Each Task Force is divided into five Tactical Wings, consisting of fifty starships, and commanded by a Rear-Admiral (UH).

And so on ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps