Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Uh-oh $$$$$$$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Uh-oh $$$$$$$$
TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well its really big
you can eighter accept that as a nova refit and the "negh'var" a different ship.

or RI as new class

or both RI and "negh'var" like ship new classes.

its not very unheard of
after all the yellowstone and danube class look exactly alike.

did anyone catch the registery?--i did not see it myself but i heard it was fairly low--making Harry's ship an old ship.

[ May 27, 2001: Message edited by: TheF0rce ]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
did anyone catch the registery?--i did not see it myself but i heard it was fairly low--making Harry's ship an old ship.

According to Foundation Imaging it's NCC-72701.

And what if the Negh'Vars are smaller? The Klingons have Bird of Preys in different sizes, maybe Negh'Vars too.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Dennistn
Member # 386

- posted      Profile for Dennistn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Star Fleet is following a similar pattern with the Nova class as with the Nebula class ships, then this "Nova" (Rhode Island) may be outfitted differently than the Equinox. We already know that Nebula's are outfitted for specific missions, and are of a modular design to facilitate the refits necessary.

Harry did say that the ship had been on an extended mission. A standard Nova is hardly outfitted for such a mission. Thus the Rhode Island's equipment package differs (possibly significantly) from the package aboard the sister ship Equinox. Maybe upgraded weapons platform?

This would make sense, IMHO, since it has proved successful in the Nebula class ships. The ships after all carry similar missions, with the Nebula being a larger more powerful platform.

--------------------
IDIC

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what's with this so call "steath" technology??

It certainly looks like cloaking to me!

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh...here's something I haven't done in a while...

If the Nova is 160m, the Negh'Var is >600m.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Dennistn has a pretty good explanation. Nova classes may be just like the Miranda and Nebula classes: adaptable design.

As far as I could tell, the front of the arrow/saucer section was changed as was the underside of that same section. It also looked to me like the deflection dish and underside of the Rhode Island had also been modified, but it has been a while since I've watched Equinox.

The ships looked to be about the right size for their classes (assuming that those are proper Negh'Var class ships). Since I'm not an expert on such matters, I'll leave the debate to Fozzie the Bear, er, Frank. Waka waka waka!

I also don't think the Rhode Island was kicking butt. She had the element of suprise by jumping like that. But all she did was manage to distract one of the Klingon ships.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any educated and intelligent person would know that my current username is a reference to the works of David Lowery.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And any educated and intelligent person would realize that they shouldn't create a user name that instantly reminds people of a Muppet that tells bad jokes.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
from the pic the nova looked like it was 1/3 the size of the negh'var or 1/2.

her length seem to easily cover the negh'var's head and good portion of her neck.

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep. I believe they refer to that as a "BooBoo"

But she's posdef a Nova (albeit with a bridge dome). Check out the viewports. Exactly the same.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The modifications to the Nova Class CGI model appear to be threefold:

1) the front of the saucer section hath been filled in and the large deflector dish (probably used for scientific missions) hath been replaced with something that smacks of Voyagers auxilliary deflector dish.

2) the vent/pipe/wing thingies on the nacelles hath been done away with.

3) a bridge dome (and therefore, presumably an extra deck) hath been added.

The waverunner shuttle is still intact and the lower deflector looks the same to me.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok it looks smaller than what I remember it but Its still larger than the previous one.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix...how long you been watching trek? Most of the FX guys don't give a shit about scale...look at ST3 or the friggin Defiant.

The Rhode Island is definitely a variant of the Nova class. And the Negh'Vars are Negh'Vars...

Get over it, get on with it...

Art

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I really don't care if this Nova is larger or smaller but the point is that this Nova is different from the 'real time' Nova. I just want to get down the actual length of THIS ship and capaibilities of her compared to Equinox, is this a military version of it or is a another design similar to the Miranda is to the Constitution classes.

I have been watching Trek since 94' then I was 9 years old.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps