Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Top 5 unanwsered ship questions. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top 5 unanwsered ship questions.
Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These are the top 5 questions that I would love to know,espescially now that the new era shows are over.
5.Are there any designs that were displayed on diagrams or consuls or charts, or any small models of ships that we have now model for,and what do they look like?(The existence of these is implied in the encyclopedia and in other books.)
4.What does the studio model of the Deneva that was briefly seen look like?
3.Is the Renaissance class vessal seen in the comic book based of a parmount design that was seen on a consul or the like.(Does anybody have a copy of that book and if so could they scan in that ship,I understand that it is very similar to the ASDB design.)
2.Does a rigel class starship exist for Best of Both Worlds?(I personly believe that they thourgh in a quickly made design.)
1.What does the model of the apollo class starship look like? From conventions I understand that it was in a scene from DS9 Embisary that was not included but that the model was used later in the DS9 series.I also understand that it is a combination of Ambasador parts without the lower hull but that it is not quite like the internet version.

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
consul n 1 an official appointed by a state to live in a foreign city. A consul's job is to help people from her or his own country who are travelling or living there, and to protect their interests.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll take a stab at this.

5. Yes, there are many. Bernd has a good amount of them in his starship list at www.ex-astris-scientia.org.

4. I'd like to know this as well. The only evidence we have is the extremely tiny screencap, which doesn't really show anything useful.

3. AFAIK, the comic book artists just made the design up themselves, and it is not official, nor do I believe that Okuda et. al made a design for it or any of the other conjectural classes.

2. No. Okuda has explicitly stated this. Also, the only other person who coul have "thrown in" any more models was Greg Jein, and he only built the Firebrand and the Princeton.

1. Again, I'd like to know this as well. However, since the unused footage showing the Gage was never shown, we'll probably never know. I emailed Okuda about this, but he didn't know either. I haven't heard anything about the model being used in later episodes, but if it was, what ship could it possibly have been?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
4.) It was the Merchantman-Model (from ST 3) AFAIK.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"5.Are there any designs that were displayed on diagrams or consuls or charts, or any small models of ships that we have now model for,and what do they look like?(The existence of these is implied in the encyclopedia and in other books.)"

Well, the Wolf359 ships, first of all. As mentioned, you can find them at Bernd's site. There are also a few from computer displays, like the SS Mariposa (if you like pre-Starfleet ships), an Orion ship and some sort of tanker (FASA ships that bear those designations, but weren't actually named on the show; just their diagrams were shown), and the Hermes and Ptolemy classes (Franz Joseph ships that were used on displays in ST2, but not actually named on screen).

"4.What does the studio model of the Deneva that was briefly seen look like?"

Most likely just the Merchantman, or some other oft-reused model. It wasn't seen visibly enough to tell, really, and we haven't found out from anyone who actually worked on it, either.

"3.Is the Renaissance class vessal seen in the comic book based of a parmount design that was seen on a consul or the like.(Does anybody have a copy of that book and if so could they scan in that ship,I understand that it is very similar to the ASDB design.)"

I'm guessing the comic people made it up.

"2.Does a rigel class starship exist for Best of Both Worlds?(I personly believe that they thourgh in a quickly made design.)"

No. The original dialogue was supposed to include the Chekov, the Springfield-class ship. But the producers thought the reference was too "cute", or something, so they changed it later to Tolstoy. Okuda just made up the name Rigel to go w/ it, since the ship itself didn't exist, except in that line of dialogue.

"1.What does the model of the apollo class starship look like? From conventions I understand that it was in a scene from DS9 Embisary that was not included but that the model was used later in the DS9 series.I also understand that it is a combination of Ambasador parts without the lower hull but that it is not quite like the internet version."

I don't know about the "Emissary" stuff, but certain evidence suggests that the Vulcan ships seen in "Unification II" were Apollo-class. It's a subject of much dispute.

[ June 01, 2001: Message edited by: TSN ]

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To help with some of these questions, the Denava was most likely a freighter/tranporter.

I've heard many theories on the Apollo and always rejected the Vulcan hypothesis. Even tho the Encyclopedia states it as so, I find it unlikely the Vulcans would name one of their ships classes after an ancient mythological Earth Deity.

(Even tho they themselves carry the name 'Vulcans' - after another mytho-deity, but that is simply what the Humans call them. This is analagous to the Romulans also. The indiginous name for these races hasn't been revealed)

I've also heard a number of theories on the Rigel. I always imagined it to be an older Cruiser, perhaps contemporary to Ambassador, but there's a lot to suggest it was intended to be a Nebula variant, sporting 2 extra, small nacelles. I've seen designs of this ship, Bernd has them at his site.

Like TSN, I'm not sure about the Emissary connection. I wasn't aware of that.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the small-nacelled Nebula variant was the original Melbourne.

quote:
Like TSN, I'm not sure about the Emissary connection. I wasn't aware of that.

Here's the deal. Battle footage was created and shot for the episode before the script was finalized. The footage (according to the first draft of the script, and also mentioned in the ship list at the official site) contained the original Melbourne, the Kyushu, the Saratoga, and the Gage. When the script was changed, the footage was scrapped and new footage was filmed, which was what everyone saw in the episode. No one has ever seen the unused footage.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you mention this it does ring a bell. I for one would be very interested at getting a look at that lost footage, if it still exists.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of fandom (except FASA) hold that the Romulans' name for themselves is 'Rihannsu', derived from the larger of the trojan worlds that make up their 'homeworld' -- Romulus and Remus to us, ch'Rihan and ch'Havran to them. I don't think I've ever seen the Vulcans' name for themselves, though. Just that the indigenous names for their homeworld(s) is/are T'Khasi and T'Khut (or Vulcan and Charis to us Terrans)...

As far as "Emissary" goes, the final footage shows the Ambassador-class Yamaguchi, the Nebula-class Bellerophon, the Miranda-class Saratoga, and both the Nebula-class and Excelsior-class Melbournes.

And the Arcos has always looked to me like a fuzzy Galaxy-class stardrive section...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Akula
Member # 319

- posted      Profile for Akula     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to clarify,
On 5. I was looking for non-Wolf 359 ships, I was looking for more Fed designs.
Now some notes,
4.The like the Challenger that was later proved to be incorrect I thought that the Hornet was also based on a discription, possibly on a bridge display.
2. I would like to say that the rigel exists in some form especial since in the famous slide show there is still a uncounted for ship discription. "A Enterprise hull with two nacelles placed on the top of the saucer section" Althought this might be the discription of the Springfield?
1.I would love to see the lost footage! It supposly also apeared later on as a wreak in a Junk Yard/Battle scene? Althought I can't imagine which episode that was in as most of the war scenes were done?

Akula
Member # 319

by computer?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have never seen the following designs:

Andromeda
Renaissance
Apollo (to my knowledge)
Rigel
Surak
Yorkshire
Zodiac
Wambundu
Hokule'a
Bradbury
Chimera
Deneva (not clearly enough, anyway)
Korolev
Mediterranean
Istanbul
Sequoia
Merced

And to the best of my knowledge, none of them even have designs, save possibly the Apollo and Deneva classes.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

BTW, the image from the slide-show you referred to is most likely the Springfield-class Chekov, as seen here: http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/chekov-paul.jpg

--Jonah

--------------------

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

In fact there a few other classes which have questions marks next to their designs.

New orleans Class - Wolf 359 wreck, we've never had a detailed view on screen of this class, but the official model gives us enough idea of its design.

Niagara Class - Another wolf 359 participant with quesion marks, but a strangely designed model does exist.

Daedalus Class - certainly a canon design now, but we've yet to see it on screen.

Springfield Class - Wolf 359 yet again (as Peregriuns suggests, see Bernd's site to investigate all these Wolf 359 ships)

Challenger Class - Some say Constitution Variant, some say a more modern Galaxy Variant. Possibley the latter, but a Galaxy variant called 'Challenger', and a Galaxy Class called 'Challenger (Geordi's future command), it seems unlikely. Don't know about that one.

Cheyenne Class - Certainly a newer starship, cameoed at Wolf 359.

Freedom Class - Possibley a controversial one nacelle ship. Again a barely seen Wolf 359 victim.

--------------------

The ASDB

Akula
Member # 319

Here's my argument for the Rigel Class ship being the Melborne.
1.As clearly stated in the Encyclopedia the Melborne is Excelsior class. The other Melborne's name and regestry are not clearly visible in the episodes. The federation would never have 2 vessels of the name and regesty in the same battle! In fact the orignal melborne was long though to be the Rigel!
2.Shelly named the both ships in the dialog and since we now that the Melborne was Excelsior class, this leaves only one ship to be the Rigel. Shelly probly mistaked the Excelsior study model for the Melborne.
3.The Melborne is very diffent from the Nebula and could easly be a different type of ship.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps