Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Top 5 unanwsered ship questions. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Top 5 unanwsered ship questions.
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeh, touche, a fair point. I was thinking more about the initial theory by Enterprise designer Matt Jefferies whose motivation to set the warp nacelles far back away from the ship's super structure was to protect the crew from the warp field. And that design theme is still evident in the 24th century, - Galaxy, Intrepid, Soveriegn etc etc. But these other classes you mention do indeed go against this grain.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, there's the shuttlecraft and the runabout which have the nacelles in extreme proximity to the crew habitation module.

I think the only thing that goes againt Gene R's rules for starship design are the fact that they may not be 50%+ visible to each other. But again, Intrepid and Defiant classes already snapped that one in two.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So did the runabouts, the shuttles, the Attack Fighters, the Maquis Raiders, the Federation Scout the Delta Flyer and the Holoship not to mention the Saber, Nebula and Peregine classes.

Surfice to say, those rules are fairly outated...or simply don't apply to ships that are not named Enterprise

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike: Defiants have a crew of 40, I think the Oberths have crews of between 40 and 80 - but don't quote me on that, and as for the Steamrunner - I don't have a clue! It has never been stated anywhere that I've seen, except for www.ditl.com which says that it is 185. But I'd take that with a pinch of salt.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps