Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Location of Officer’s Lounge in TMP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Location of Officer’s Lounge in TMP
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More about the number of decks on the refit Enterprise...

Her's the RED ALERT diagram I memtioned before that has five decks in the dorsal:
http://home.pacbell.net/mauricem/red_alert_decks.gif

Turbolift w/Kirk:
http://home.pacbell.net/mauricem/turboshafts1.jpg

Turbolift display sans Admiral and toupee:
http://home.pacbell.net/mauricem/turboshafts2.gif

This is the turboshaft diagram that appears in the lifts in the film. It's very tough to make out how many tubes are in this, because of the clutter of what I believe to be labeling. I wish someone somewhere had gotten a behind the scenes still of this thing.

Fun stuff.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Referring back to the topic that started this all, here's the on-screen proof of where the Rec Deck is.

High Angle
Low Angle

I knocked everything but what's outside the ports to grayscale and did some edge enhancement and color boosting to make it clearer, but you can see the drydock and the pylon and the nacelle outside the windows.

Now, the other big mystery is how the Rec Deck fits vertically into the saucer, as it may be two decks high at the windows, but it's clearly too tall to fit in the saucer farther in (look at that ceiling and the height of the side walls!).

Oy!

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: mrneutron ]

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spike,

You are absolutely, positively, without a doubt, my new hero!

I never knew that the Enterprise-class designation had ever made it to film in any form. Now, I have evidence that it was used in TWOK, well before TUC.

So then, which designation from which film supercedes the other?

I suppose the “Constitution-classers” will argue that because Scotty’s schematic was more clearly seen in TUC, that takes precedence.

I will still stick to my guns regarding the Enterprise-class designation. However, since I believe in being fair and objective, I should mention that TWOK did make at least one signage blunder. In one scene where the crew is preparing for the battle with Khan, A sign can be seen that says "Torp Bay 4." And how many torpedo tubes does the Enterprise have?

Mrneutron

Many, many thanks for all of the “goodies!”

----------------------------------------------------

“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
“My experience with Rick Berman is, you know, he does not understand what he's doing, he does not understand science fiction.”
-- Andrew Probert

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So then, which designation from which film supercedes the other?

I'd say that the Enterprise class is a sub-class of the Constitution class. So, both films would be correct.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan and mrneutron, I see now that I have been in error and apologize for being thick-headed.

But,
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
PLEASE
Let's not get started again on the Constitution/Enterprise class thing.

I beseech you, kind Sirs, for I have no strength to go on!

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Dan:
Spike,
I suppose the “Constitution-classers” will argue that because Scotty’s schematic was more clearly seen in TUC, that takes precedence.

I will still stick to my guns regarding the Enterprise-class designation.[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

Well, again, the ship seein in ST1-ST3 is one vessel, that seen in ST4-6 is a whole 'nother matter. The latter ship is very different (the corridors and everything), so maybe it's the "new model year" Constitution with the same body styling as the refit "Enterprise" classes (how Detroit), but wholly different guts.

Or maybe the refits were called Enterprise class until Kirk stole the ship, and Starfleet decided to go back to the original designation for PR reasons.

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: mrneutron ]

--------------------

Commander Dan
Member # 558

- posted      Profile for Commander Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mrneutron:
Or maybe the refits were called Enterprise class until Kirk stole the ship, and Starfleet decided to go back to the original designation for PR reasons.

LOL!

--------------------------------------

-- Andrew Probert

[ December 02, 2001: Message edited by: Commander Dan ]

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Commander Dan:
[QBMrneutron

Many, many thanks for all of the “goodies!”
[/QB]

One more goodie for ya...that possibly clarifies a matter of debate around Yellow Alert in ST2...

http://home.pacbell.net/mauricem/intruder_alert.gif

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had never even thought about this graphic before.
I like many others just assumed it was showing the low level defence fields energising.

I take it the DE has not restored this graphic. (I don't own a copy coz I'm in the UK)
While I'm at it, does anyone know when the Region-2 release will be?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OR...you can call it Enterprise-class & we can call it Constitution & we can agree that officially it's the latter, but you prefer the former for YOUR universe & yours along & won't push it on us as we won't push it on you & all is well & happy.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
OR...you can call it Enterprise-class & we can call it Constitution & we can agree that officially it's the latter, but you prefer the former for YOUR universe & yours along & won't push it on us as we won't push it on you & all is well & happy.

Fine. Except that the “official” (or canonical, if you prefer) designation is now open for debate since Spike has now provided us with some visual evidence that the “Enterprise-class” designation made it on screen (albeit briefly) in TWOK.

Aside from that, I am quite content to agree to disagree.

----------------------------

-- Andrew Probert

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "official," I mean "the Party line." Fuck what's "onscreen."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Commander Dan
Member # 558

quote:
Originally posted by Shik:
By "official," I mean "the Party line." Fuck what's "onscreen."

Gee, that was tactful. And who defines “the Party line?”

----------------------------

-- Andrew Probert

--------------------
-- Andrew Probert

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like to point out that Chekov's screen in TSFS also reads "Constitution-class"...

[**ducks head and runs**]

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Just like to point out that Chekov's screen in TSFS also reads "Constitution-class"...

But the ship on this screen was the NCC-1700 and in TOS configuration IIRC.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps