Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » City of New Orleans (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: City of New Orleans
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From whence was this NO/DS9 photo from? the Magazine? Fact Files? Its the first I've heard of it. But it's certainly piqued my interest. [Eek!]

[ December 30, 2001: Message edited by: USS Vanguard ]

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would Starfleet name a ship the "City of..."?

I don't know, but Rick Sternbach used it on his runabout sketch. [Razz]

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Here's the picture. (From the Model Citizen website, original source unknown to me.) I'm sorry Rev, but I don't see any pods, and the nacelles most certainly do not look like their pylons attach at the neck. Like I said, I think you're just being hopeful.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here we go again... [Roll Eyes]

After seeing all the magnified and filtered and massaged and generally placated images last time, I was pretty satisfied that the model was indeed a New Orleans, possibly even the same scorched Kyushu model that they had used in BoBW2.

But hey, let's agree to disagree. Or, let's crack out photoshop one more time and have a looksee again.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey all, that one got my attention. And being in posession of an actual model that is fairly simmilar to the Kyushu, I'd say it's pretty close to my model. Looking at the right angle of both the Ent-d and the Kyu, I'd have to say it's a New Orleans ship. The nacelles on the Ent-d are much closer together and you can't see the fronts when the deflector dish is in view. You can with the New Orleans ship. I'd take a picture and show you, but no digital camera. I'll take a couple 'real' pictures and post them some time soon.

--------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

www.ericksmodels.com

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nuff said

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Nuff said indeed.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That HAS to be the New Orleans.

First, lets picture the New Orleans right-side up. This is what the New Orleans model looked like:

Now notice the battle damage to the saucer. There are large dark cuts going down the left side of the saucer, and a large blotch going diagonally toward the front right. Now look at upside down ship. Notice any unusually DARK splotches on the saucer section? One dark blotch appears to go from the bridge over to where the ship is obscured by the pylon. This is on the right-hand side. When flipped over, this blotch would be on the left-hand side, corresponding with the picture I just posted. Also notice the other, diagonally positioned splotch. When flipped, this matches the picture posted above, again.

Second, we have this picture:

This is the bottom of the same New Orleans model. Notice the nacelle closest to us on the upside down ship. Notice no red Bussard Collector? That's because it's not there. When flipped over, we see that the corresponding nacelle on the New Orleans model no longer has a Buzzard Collector, its been ripped clean off. Now, look at the other nacelle of the New Orleans model. A chunk of the nacelle on the inward part is missing. Now look at the corresponding nacelle on the mystery ship. Notice a black splotch immediatly behind the Bussard Collector?

Now, where are the pods you ask? They are still there. Look at the far nacelle on the picture, and look IMMEDIATLY above the red bussard collector. Notice an area that is whiter then the rest of the ship? That is the pod, NOT the nacelle you are seeing. We can't see the other two pods merely because they are blocked from view.

Also notice that the saucer is too small in comparison to the nacelles in order for it to be a Galaxy.

Therefore, in conclusion, that is not only a New Orleans class starship, but it is THE same model used in Wolf 359. The battle damage corresponding is conclusive of that.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ace:
Why would Starfleet name a ship the "City of..."?

There is a (see the singular notation..."A," meaning one ever) precedent. That would be USS City Of Corpus Christi (SSN-705). The decision to name her that was in deference to those Christians who would object to a boat named USS Corpus Christi. which would then have the appearance of a weapons platform named after the body of a major religious icon.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure Mike's evidence is conclusive beyond a doubt, but a pop-up box got in my way, so we'll never know...

From the few blurbs I've read about the City of New Orleans labeling on those original sketches, the name was nothing more than a joke that they used while coming up with the design. I don't know the origins of the joke, but didn't it turn out that Sisko was from New Orleans too? I think it's just a city they like.

I suppose it's also possible that they were originally going to name all the runabouts after cities instead of rivers.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban Rune--can't you close this "pop-up box?" That's what the "X's" are for. [Big Grin]

I say we can (mostly) agree that it's a New Orleans.

--------------------
Meh

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...it was a comment on the annoying nature of pop-up boxes [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The City of New Orleans" by Arlo Guthrie

Riding on the City of New Orleans,
Illinois Central, monday morning rail,
Fifteen cars and fifteen restless riders,
Three conductors, twenty-five sacks of mail.
All along the southbound Odyssey
The train pulls out at Kankakee
And rolls along past houses, farms and fields,
Passing trains that have no name
And freight yards full of old black men
And the graveyards of the rusted automobiles.

Good morning, America, how are you?
Say, don't you know me, I'm your native son.
I'm the train they call the City of New Orleans,
I'll be gone five hundred miles when the day is done.

Dealin' card games with the old men in the club car,
Penny a point, ain't no one keepin' score,
Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle,
And feel the wheels rumblin' 'neath the floor.
And the sons of Pullman porters and the sons of engineers
Ride their father's magic carpets made of steel
Mothers with their babes asleep
Are rockin' to the gentle beat
And the rhythm of the rails is all they feel.

Good morning, America, how are you?

Night-time on the City of New Orleans
Changing cars in Memphis, Tennessee
Halfway home, we'll be there by morning
Through the Mississippi darkness rollin' down to the sea.
But all the towns and people seem to fade into a bad dream
And the steel rail still ain't heard the news
The conductor sings his songs again,
The passengers will please refrain,
This train's got the disappearin' railroad blues.

Good night, America, how are you?

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a good song. I remember hearing it before on the radio.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to sum up why it's a NO class ship:

1. You can see hull BELOW the nacelle pylons - on a Galaxy there is nothing under and aft of the horizontal parts of the nacelle pylons.

2. The nacelles are ABOVE the saucer section... a Galaxy's nacelles end BELOW the saucer section.

3. This is dodgey... but - we've never seen a Galaxy docked at a LOWER pylon before.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps