Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Madison/Manson and First Contact CC (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Madison/Manson and First Contact CC
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once more... [Roll Eyes]

I think I've been confused on this. I've just found that the VHS closed-captioning makes no mention of this ship at all. Now, what did the CC on the DVD say? Does it not mention this ship either? Does it say Madison or Manson? And does the DVD CC say Lexington or Lexicon? (VHS says Lexicon.)

I know this has been gone over many times, but could someone please clarify once more for me? [Frown]

Thanks,
-MMoM [Big Grin]

[ January 27, 2002, 14:29: Message edited by: The Mighty Monkey of Mim ]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounded like Manson, so that's what people went with. The DVD subtitles say "Madison" so that's what people go with now, though it could be either or neither. Personally, I like Madison, as I prefer not to have a ship named Manson even if it was a perfectly normal name before the crazies took it (Garbage's lead singer excepted).

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like "Manson" better, even if "Madison" is the capital of my state...

--------------------
Meh

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or, go here .
Just click on "Classless Ships" and go down to "USS Manson." There should be a WAV file you can open. Judge for yourself what Captain Luxby says.

[ January 27, 2002, 15:08: Message edited by: Veers ]

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the CC does say Madison? This is the honest-to-god truth? Okay then.

What about the Lexington/Lexicon? What does the DVD CC say?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That has to be a mistake. Why would you name the ship USS Vocabulary or USS Dictionary?
Evolved
Member # 389

- posted      Profile for Evolved     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
EDIT: Double Post. Oh well, might as well use it...

Isn't the Nebula class USS Lexington assumed to have been at the FC battle?

[ January 27, 2002, 20:07: Message edited by: Ace ]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, which is derived from the whole point of this thread...Lexington or Lexicon. The former is heard distinctly while VHS copies CC it as the latter. Besides we see only one Nebula there and most likely it was never relabeled from it's last appearance as the Leeds, so we can say the Leeds was there. (Mim says otherwise)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to me it sounds like Madison, not Manson. i think i can make out an "i" sound in the middle of the word, something that "Manson" definitely doesn't have. besides, i think that James Madison is more likely to have a starfleet ship after him than anyone i can think of who has the last name Manson.

--jacob

IP: Logged
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peter Manson, noted 22nd century Geophysicist perhaps.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the person saying "Madison" though - some people clip their words and could say "Mad-sen" instead of MAD-I-SON

I would say Lexington before LEXICON - we've heard of the Lexington before - and lexicon doesn't make sense as a name for a starship - when we've got the option of "Lexington". If there was nothing else that sounded similar then I'd go with Lexicon, but we have the option of "Lexington" - I known Federation Starship.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Madsen? Virginia or Michael? 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On a related note, was that Kelsey Grammars voice also in that sequence.. i forgot what he says..
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word: "Acknowledged."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(I know your post was probably a joke) but...

no, no - still "MADISON" just the speaker didn't say MAD-I-SON but probably "Madsen" or "Madisn" or something.

Oh and has that been confirmed by Kelsey Grammar/er? himself!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps