Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shelley class Starship (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Shelley class Starship
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't you look at my previous comment? I said that the Curry was originally a standard Excelsior-class starship with the number 45617, and the yard engineers just didn't take the time to repaint the hull when the re-engineered ship was put back in service.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I accept the argument that Starfleet purpousely build such quick-and-dirty monstrosities when they were taking 20+ years to meticulously design and build beautiful Galaxy-class starships...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Ugghh.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Why doesn't someone just email Drexler about the kitbash drawings? I think Spike has his address. That way, we can hear it from the horse's mouth whether he was drawing the Voyager prototype, or if all of those drawings represented actual models built, or any other questions we've had concerning these ships. Maybe he even has (gasp) reference photos of the models...

The email-thing works pretty good. I did this too, sometimes, and those guys are really nice persons and try to help where they can. But I have no idea where to find Drexler's address, or I had done it myself. Maybe Okuda knows, but then again, he doesn't know everything. Do you think it makes sense to ask him?

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Starship:
[QUOTE]I think some on should call the dick heads who made these drawings and ask them what they were on when they came up with these. :-)

Oh well.....

RS

That sounds like an excellent idea! I nominate Rogue Starship to call the "dick heads" to get the answer. (If we don't hear from him after the call, we know that the "dick heads" sent in the Jem'Hadar.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) You aren't reading the DS9 TM, you're only looking at the slightly pretty pictures.
The DS9 TM says that these ships are custom builds made from salvaged or partial builds.

It is much more plausible that the Curry and Centaur were salvaged from older ships that were destroyed but [especially in the Curry's case] the original NCC remained intact on the hull and was never changed to save time.
___
Now you ask about the other kitbash ships, like Niagara? Nah, doesn't count. They have an offical class, there is no such thing as the Centuar or Curry or even Shelly Class.

See, problem solved. It's simple, pie is harder.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"You aren't reading the DS9 TM, you're only looking at the slightly pretty pictures.
The DS9 TM says that these ships are custom builds made from salvaged or partial builds."

Yes, but that entire section of the DS9TM is utter crap and should be burned.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here here.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed, that section is crap. But some of the facts nevertheless remain, and I'm sure that at least SOME of those designs appeared in the show in some form. So we can use bits and pieces from the DS9:TM and trash the rest.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, yes, of course some of them appeared. We know two of those diagrams are supposed to be the Centaur and the Curry. But even those are horribly horribly wrong.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The theory of the USS Curry merely having a registry number unchanged from it's Excelsior form is flawed. If they have the time to rebuild a ship, they have PLENTY of time to send out a single guy in a work bee to repaint the bloody thing.

Remember people, it took Starfleet two years to turn the Enterprise quite literally into a brand new ship. Taking an existing starship and redoing it completely would take nearly a year, even if they were working extremely fast.

All the BoBW ships and "kitbashes" are most definatly their own distinct classes. They aren't just simple prototypes made from existing hulks to test theories.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why "shipbashing" can't work in the real world: corridors, power and other feeds, and vertical deck access would not line up between the different sections.

Why "shipbashing" can't work in Star Trek: power and other feeds, vertical turboshafts, and vertical Jefferies Tubes would not line up between different sections. And in many cases, just trying to make the connections line up would necessitate the reworking much of the interiors. This is in addition to what The359 has already said. Really, it's probably better to rebulid the ship to it original configuration or build new ships of proper designs and classes.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if you believe the DS9:TM (which I don't) It only says that some ships were pieced together quickly and such, but nowhere does it explicitly say 'Here is a bunch of pictures of the ships we were talking about.' The statements are open ended enough that the images could depict real ships (because they showed Galaxys and Akiras) and only one, say maybe the Yeager-class, was a new bash design. Nowhere does it specifically say 'ships were pieced together and these are them'

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In World War II, the US Gov't issued orders to have ships built for military use. These included the Liberty Class freighters and the Essex Class carriers. If we can get the construction information for these classes of ships, and other new classes of ships for this war, we might have a real world basis from which to work with.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

Sol's Curry Design-brief, if anyone cares, which you probably don't, ungrateful...

Oh, right, the colon:

I think the Curry and her ilk would make an excellent support ship for hurridly constructed outposts on farflung outlying worlds. Let's say Starfleet captures Planet P and wants to establish a small base there. Well, they don't have time to waste building the thing from scratch, and replicators are needed elsewhere. So you've got some nice little high-tech quonset hut things, or whatever. Now that we've got the ground covered, what about near-orbit? You need some sort of facility up there. You could tow one of those tiny Regula-type stations to the planet, but...

You've also got surplus depots full of decommissioned Excelsiors. Still spaceworthy, but out of date and, well, decommissioned. So along comes some young and snappily dressed engineer with an idea. Why not take those old Excelsiors, detach the secondary hulls, rework them just a bit, and viola! Instant space stations, suitable for warp transport anywhere. Meanwhile, take the primary hulls, tear out most of the superstucture and toss a warp core and other required bits in there, and you've got a readymade station carrier.

The routing of the Seventh Fleet meant the Curry herself was unable to deliver her charge.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by targetemployee:
In World War II, the US Gov't issued orders to have ships built for military use. These included the Liberty Class freighters and the Essex Class carriers. If we can get the construction information for these classes of ships, and other new classes of ships for this war, we might have a real world basis from which to work with.

We already did this about a year ago. Go sift.

And "shipbashing" as you call it isn't that uncommon in the real world, either. Look at the early 2oth-century, when most early aircraft carriers were built on the hulls of other ships. Hell, the Langley was a COLLIER first.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Yes, but that's a lot easier. Take a ship, stick a big platform on the top, and you've got a carrier. But try doing something like cutting the ship into five pieces and putting them back together in a different arrangement, and see how well it works.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps