Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Shelley class Starship (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Shelley class Starship
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
:::blinks::: How do you think ships are made NOW?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I invisible? Because I'm pretty sure that I presented an opinion on the problem regarding the connection of corridors/pipes/tubes/etc. between sections.

And my point is that there don't have to be that many connections. Take the Yeager Class, for example. The saucer section holds the crew facilities and everything else, like weapons. The Maquis-style hull holds the engines. All you REALLY need between the two sections is the power feeds and a couple of hallways.

But if the insides of one hull (whichever one) have ALREADY been GUTTED to make way for the retrofitted equipment, then it should be no big deal to install some custom corridors.

Also remember that these ships are essentially EMPTY. They're flying hulls with weapons strapped on, and a few crew quarters for the skeleton crew assigned to fly the thing. THAT'S ALL.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi!! Newbie here!!

The Shelley class unlike the other "shipbashes" in the DS9:TM appears to consist entirely of Excelcior class components (with the exception of the nacelles). If this is so then why move the saucer section if it is one of those ships that was quickly knocked up from whatever was lying around during the war? I believe that the mods must have been made for a specific reason and so the Shelley should be a pre-war purpose designed ship.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. Or then it wasn't a ship at all - just the remains of a number of half-destroyed ships welded nonfunctionally together for the duration of the journey home. None of the windows were lit, there were no floodlights on the registries, and the deflector dish didn't glow. Perhaps this was just a heap of junk duranium?

Admittedly, there was what seemed like the usual blue warp glow on the nacelle grilles... So perhaps that should be amended to "a functional pre-war-built ship consisting of the saucer and the nacelles, towing home a heap of junk duranium that included the secondary hull of an Excelsior class starship"?

Timo Saloniemi

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But why would Starfleet purposely build such a monstrosity BEFORE the war? When all ships (with very few exceptions) are all designed on their own as original vessels, why would Starfleet resort to such an ugly kitbash?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[/QUOTE]That sounds like an excellent idea! I nominate Rogue Starship to call the "dick heads" to get the answer. (If we don't hear from him a
the call, we know that the "dick heads" sent in the Jem'Hadar.

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [/QB][/QUOTE]

My appoligies if I offended anyone by my snide remark. I am sorry.

Ok, What really bugs me is that we have seen On-screen evidence that the Shelley exists. If we had'nt than I would have said sent the DS9:TM to hell, it's full of BS. But the pictures are nice to look at anyway.

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...monstrosity..."

"...ugly kitbash..."

So say you. Personally, I don't have any problem w/ the Curry, and especially not the Centaur. Granted, some of the ones that were invisible on screen were pretty bad, but that's assuming the diagrams are accurate, which I doubt.

Besides, there are people who call the Freedom and Niagara "ugly kitbashes", but no-one's claiming that those were anything but actual SF classes.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm really getting sick of seeing this thread title spelled wrong. RS or someone should fix it.

A lot of these designs I dont consider so bad.. If an experienced CGI artist got to work on them, I bet they could make them look like acceptable ST ships by tweaking details a little and giving them a little character.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with TSN. The Curry and the Centaur are not "Ugly Kitbashes." Their designs are likely functional to what their missions are. That's why I came up with the theory that they were the Mediterranean & Rennaissance classes, respectively. Just because they share similar parts to the Excelsior, in a re-arranged configuration, does that make them any more "ugly-kitbashed" than the Miranda class or Constellation class is to the Constitution?

Also, what if we had seen the Curry before we had seen the Excelsior? We wouldn't even be having this discussion.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Curry is towing a knocked out Excelcior secondary hull what's with the shuttle bay on the front? I don't think that it's very likely to be a repair; I can't see much damage below the bay on my tape and I think a hit would probably cause more damage. Also where would they get it from? Finally I can't see any tractor beam so it must be a physical connection; either a docking/ latching system or it's part of the same ship.

PS: I actually rather like the Curry and Centaur.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I actually like the Centaur design. That's close enough to a "clean" design to look good to me.

However, the Curry is butt-ugly. The parts are rearranged in a nonsensical jumble -- literally the only difference in components is the warp nacelles, which are supposedly Constitution-refit-type instead of Excelsior-native. I can see absolutely no benefit from this design, and it seems structurally very weak. I don't like how the neck has been reattached to the aft end of the secondary hull, or the nacelles attached directly to the saucer. Compared to the vast majority of the starships that we've seen Starfleet use, it's ugly and illogical.

Yes, there have been "kitbash" starships before, some of which look quite good -- like the Nebula, New Orleans, Cheyenne, even the Niagra (which I like as well). But when you get to such random reconfigurations merely for the sake of redesign, that is very weak, artistically. And even weaker from an engineering standpoint.

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the VFX department's defense, I doubt they were thinking much of engineering standpoints. They were thinking, "we need damaged ships...what's the cheapest way of providing some? Well, we can buy model kits to build & destroy, and while we're at it, let's make some new designs."

Keep in mind that these ships were made by the VFX guys, not someone like Rick Sternbach. He himself told me that he hated the designs, and kitbashing in general.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rogue Starship:
My appoligies if I offended anyone by my snide remark. I am sorry.

Ok, What really bugs me is that we have seen On-screen evidence that the Shelley exists. If we had'nt than I would have said sent the DS9:TM to hell, it's full of BS. But the pictures are nice to look at anyway.

Snide? [Confused]

Rogue Starship - you miss understand me. I didn't take offence. I was joking. [Big Grin] I was winding you up! Geeez! And I thought that I was travelling in reverse at high warp! [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes] [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Rogue Starship
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
I'm really getting sick of seeing this thread title spelled wrong. RS or someone should fix it.

A lot of these designs I dont consider so bad.. If an experienced CGI artist got to work on them, I bet they could make them look like acceptable ST ships by tweaking details a little and giving them a little character.

How, I would do it in a moment if I new if how to.

Yes they are stupid doped up Sons of Guns...if only they knew the crap they started...I would fire them... [Big Grin]

RS

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply edit your original post. Like I just did.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps