Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is anybody ever going to do a fully-corrected Niagara drawing? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is anybody ever going to do a fully-corrected Niagara drawing?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
275m. I had to insert another NO-schematic because the one I had was inaccurate (it just used downscaled nacelles). I'll upload the updated picture later. The 350m-estimation for the New Orleans stays the same since I didn't use the schematic to figure out its scale (I only did this with schematics from which I knew they were accurate).

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to go w/ 'B' on your little poll there. However, it's possible that the answer is really both 'A' and 'B', because the two ships might actually have the same saucer. But that would make the Freedom diagram's saucer inaccurate, so fixing it would still bring the ship to a size somewhere between 'A' and 'B'.

And regarding the Niagara... The nacelle is twisted and the ship is turned. Look at how far the nacelle seems twisted in the screencap, and look at how far it's actually twisted in the Jein photo.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was never quite sure if the Niagara really used the Ambassador secondary hull (as Masaki tells us, the deflector and shuttlebay were blown away). It is a good argument that Jein had probably access to the Enterprise-C in work, though. In this respect the Galaxy-Niagara-Ambassador size relation seems right.

As for the Freedom, I have a clear opinion that Jein built the nacelles of his two ships to the same size (and probably the same size as the Galaxy nacelles). And I don't think that he put huge windows into the neck where the are shown in the FF schematic.

May I show the comparison images in a future update at EAS?

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say use a standard Galaxy nacelle. So that would be...let's see...option B. Just because the part that was used for the neck was a Constellation pylon doesn't mean that it was supposed to be to that scale, and Jein probably would have put different detail on the piece, (windows, smooth surface, some things like that...) not just leave it as it was.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
I was never quite sure if the Niagara really used the Ambassador secondary hull (as Masaki tells us, the deflector and shuttlebay were blown away). It is a good argument that Jein had probably access to the Enterprise-C in work, though. In this respect the Galaxy-Niagara-Ambassador size relation seems right.

As for the Freedom, I have a clear opinion that Jein built the nacelles of his two ships to the same size (and probably the same size as the Galaxy nacelles). And I don't think that he put huge windows into the neck where the are shown in the FF schematic.

May I show the comparison images in a future update at EAS?

Sure. If you need anything special, just tell me. [Smile]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must be unusually dense today, it's taken me ages to figure out the diagram; now, however, I agree, it must be option B. The resized version looks a lot better anyway.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It irks me that the FF Freedom image is turning out to be pretty accurate after all. The Freedom saucer isn't an incorrect cut'n'paste of Niagara, but actually vice versa. The general shapes aren't wrong, nor is the lack of visible impulse engines. And yet there are those stupid neck windows that disagree with the saucer superstructure deck height. They aren't cut'n'paste errors, and they are unlikely to be figments of the artist's imagination, either. How come this single part of the picture is messed up, but none of the rest?

Either the windows are wrong, or the saucer superstructure deck height is. Jein probably wouldn't make the error. The two choices seem to be that Jein manipulated the saucertop so that the apparent two decks are in fact just one (but if the saucertop is a pure custom piece, why build it in a fake two-deck format to begin with? It does show the "deck separation line" in the screencaps!) - or then he actually drew smaller and more numerous neck windows than shown (but why did the FF artist mess it up when everything else is detailed and seemingly correct?). Aargh!

If the first choice is right, then D or E is the likeliest correct scaling for the Freedom. If the second choice is right, then I go with B.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps